Cleaning barrel

When I'm up for winning, I clean every target using Dewey rods, a bore guide and I forgot which solvent I was using when I quit. Perhaps others will supply a solvent name. Keep your barrel clean as it's the only way you know when it's good. Shoot enough shots to foul it, shoot your target, and then clean it.

If you're squirrel hunting, clean it when you like and not before. I didn't say this to be funny but rather to draw the distinction between squirrel hunting and competitive target shooting in terms of cleaning.

I have been known to use two parts, Montana Extreme Rimfire cleaner, and one part Kroll Oil, with just a dash of Lead Out thrown in for good measure. I have had it pounded into me, the lead where the wax ring builds up is a must, to keep clean!!!!!! A min. of ten passes with a wet, brass brush, aggressively applied, using a 6 inch one piece rod in the chamber area only, between matches, along with the full barrel last. And above all else, never pull the trigger on a empty chamber, that is what they make dummy rounds for.

Give em Ell Sarge!

I have been known to use two parts, Montana Extreme Rimfire cleaner, and one part Kroll Oil, with just a dash of Lead Out thrown in for good measure. I have had it pounded into me, the lead where the wax ring builds up is a must, to keep clean!!!!!! A min. of ten passes with a wet, brass brush, aggressively applied, using a 6 inch one piece rod in the chamber area only, between matches, along with the full barrel last. And above all else, never pull the trigger on a empty chamber, that is what they make dummy rounds for.

I pretty much agree with you Sarge. How folks keep their barrels clean with patches only is a great mystery to me, I must admit :)

Pete

I like Bore Tech's Rimfire Blend. It's a very effective cleaner and contains no ammonia. (Not needed for unjacketed lead bullets.)

Back