Chucking reamer/die question

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
Got a die that needs the neck area opened up. The neck opening measures .266 now with a pin gauge. Would going in there with a carbide .281 chucking reamer be too big an amount of material to remove right away with the surface hardening of the die? I've got a .271 chucking reamer I could use as a first step but it's not carbide.

Appreciate the advice. :) -Al

No problem for carbide but it'll wreck your hss chucking reamer..quickly. I routinely do this on 6.5 Grendel Redding bushing dies, opening the neck from approximately .308 to .332. Go a few thou over chamber neck diameter and you'll likely need to devise a way to lightly deburr to inside of the hole. No problem on a short die but a longer cartridge die might take some creativity, depending on what you have to work with. I use a cone shaped dremel stone on a drill...carefully. I find a drill easier than doing it in the lathe, as I have much better feel.

Last edited:
I have used carbide tipped drills to open dies, cheaper than a carbide chucking reamer I think. Breaking that edge can be a problem as Mike said.

Maybe?

Got a die that needs the neck area opened up. The neck opening measures .266 now with a pin gauge. Would going in there with a carbide .281 chucking reamer be too big an amount of material to remove right away with the surface hardening of the die? I've got a .271 chucking reamer I could use as a first step but it's not carbide.

Appreciate the advice. :) -Al
My rule was .015 max for reaming up to about 34rc. I dont know the RC of that die nor the type of surface hardening. Most carb'ed and quench type HT is around 58-62. The other rule that works pretty well is you need 20 plus RC minimum from cutter to parent material to cut. Id say vibration might also be a problem. A single lipped carbide end mill in a mill setup would be the ticket. At work Id slip it into a EDM sinker and zap er up! lol. The HS chucking reamer will not have the 20 RC difference you will need. No magic words or wands here. Sorry

Back