Chrome Moly vs Stainless steel

ArtinNC

Match grade barrels why Stainless over Chrome Moly ? I read the other day that Chrome Moly was more wear resistant than as Stainless . True or False ?

2 cents worth
ss machines easier
moly lasts a bit longer
but add a nitrite coating and a ss bbl will last a long time( same on the moly bbl)

match barrels, especially BR barrels burn out more than wear out, SS, I believe, is more heat resistant

The topic is too broad...

2 cents worth
ss machines easier
moly lasts a bit longer
but add a nitrite coating and a ss bbl will last a long time( same on the moly bbl)

"Stainless" and "Chrome Moly" are categories of steel and it makes little sense to compare the two without getting down to specific alloys. The alloys used for barrel making do seem more resistant to heat, but that doesn't explain the rampant use of stainless alloys in actions - which completely befuddles me - I very much want a chrome-moly action, but for some reason they are not that popular! Call it marketing.

OTOH, I must disagree with rmisthsr - in general, chrome-moly alloys are much more forgiving to machine. Some stainless alloys are downright painful, but I've never found a chrome-moly alloy that didn't machine nicely.

"Stainless" and "Chrome Moly" are categories of steel and it makes little sense to compare the two without getting down to specific alloys. The alloys used for barrel making do seem more resistant to heat, but that doesn't explain the rampant use of stainless alloys in actions - which completely befuddles me - I very much want a chrome-moly action, but for some reason they are not that popular! Call it marketing.

OTOH, I must disagree with rmisthsr - in general, chrome-moly alloys are much more forgiving to machine. Some stainless alloys are downright painful, but I've never found a chrome-moly alloy that didn't machine nicely.

^^^^^^
Listen to him Mr Smith!

nitrite coating In the bore? you would have to do that after shambering ? Because the Free bore and lead would not have it ?

nitrite coating In the bore? you would have to do that after shambering ? Because the Free bore and lead would not have it ?
Also, nitriding is very hard. IME all machining including the crown wants to be done prior to pickling

A chrome Moly Action

I know this is about barrels but I had to share. I am getting a chrome Moly DS action. I will get it in a few weeks. Regards Michael

Yeahh well who made him the exspurt ennyways

I've got Dan's barrels on 3 guns at the moment and have had at least 8-10 others through the years....all stainless and all have shot to real Benchrest standards. It was a Lilja .30 twisted 1:17 on the gun when I won the IBS Hunter National Championship and also snagged the High X memorial Cup. Even after drifting into the cut rifled world with the .30's, the button rifled Lilja's accuracy remained the standard by which I judged any of the cut rifled .30's. Also his .17's are especially good. :cool:

Good shootin'. :) -Al

I've got Dan's barrels on 3 guns at the moment and have had at least 8-10 others through the years....all stainless and all have shot to real Benchrest standards. It was a Lilja .30 twisted 1:17 on the gun when I won the IBS Hunter National Championship and also snagged the High X memorial Cup. Even after drifting into the cut rifled world with the .30's, the button rifled Lilja's accuracy remained the standard by which I judged any of the cut rifled .30's. Also his .17's are especially good. :cool:

It was a JOKE Al..... a JOKE!! LOL..... the old "what does he know ennyhow" format....to be used when someone quotes the opinion of an acknowledged expert in a roomful of rednecks

Ditto Al

I still have a Lilja 1-17 30 barrel that was chambered by Jerry Simison in 2004 with RGs reamer. I was lucky enough to break the 17 year old IBS 100/200 grand agg WR at a shoot in Vermont in June of 2005 with that barrel and his 118 gr 10 ogive bullets. I put it back on this spring and have taken two 100 yd 1sts and a 3rd with it, with well over 3700 rounds through it. I'm not a bragger and this is not the intent, but it is my intent to say he makes good barrels. --greg

Jeeeepers..... how did this turn into a Dan Lilja affirmation thread?? If I did this, I sincerely apologize for a tongue-in-cheek comment, an attempt to add some credibility to his opinion thru levity.

"Dan's opinion is worthy""

"Dan makes a good barrel"

"Dan writes a great article"

"Dan TESTS this stuff above and beyond....his opinions are not guesses"

Ohh, and did I mention, "Lilja Rifle Barrels are among the best on the planet" ..... that "Many folks win and have won many competitions including the BR disciplines where intrinsic accuracy potential is the single biggest factor"...... and that "Dan's barrels are LIT'RALLY as good as barrels can be"....

Ummm..... "Dan=Good"...... even, "Dan Lilja's opinion > Joe Blow's"

Dan also knows what is important in a barrel, I currently have custom barrels in the pipe with Lilja because they offer some spec's which 80% of other custom barrel makers do not, where other makers are choosing to stay in their collective ruts Dan is expanding the field, pushing back the barriers, extending the bleeding edge, offering stuff which us experimentive types value.....all while maintaining a standard of excellence unparalleled in the industry.

Chris Dichter makes a good barrel too, and he offers things even Lilja will not........ but I won't mention this for fear of AGAIN completely derailing the op's question ;)

I have no meaningful opinion regarding the op's question

It was a JOKE Al..... a JOKE!! LOL..... the old "what does he know ennyhow" format....to be used when someone quotes the opinion of an acknowledged expert in a roomful of rednecks

Believe me...I knew you were jokin'. ;) -Al

You!

Jeeeepers..... how did this turn into a Dan Lilja affirmation thread??

You posted a smart-aleck remark, and then worried that people would misconstrue it after the fact.

Not criticizing, but that is exactly how it happened.

GsT

Back