Cherry Ridge Gun Club - New Jersey

rkittine

Anyone here a member? Do you shoot in Bob Whites matches?

I was there yesterday for the first time and plan on joining on the next 1st Sunday - August 7th. But, hoping to make the match on July 23rd.

Bob

You may want to check with Bob in regards to the August 7th match as the IBS Nationals start on August 8th.

If you plan on shooting benchrest with Bob at Cherry Ridge you will have a fun time and a great person to learn benchrest from.

Russell

Memories of days gone by ----

I started shooting Benchrest in the mid 70's at Cherry Ridge and quickly met Bob White. He has one of the largest selections of equipment and rifles in the country at very fair prices. You're definately in a good spot to start the sport & Bob will gladly guide you along. I told him at a Super Shoot one year that he has cost me more money than an ex-wife, LOL. Only that was money well spent.

Russell, The match I am talking about is on the 23rd of July and can be shot by Non-Members. August 7th is the First - First Sunday of the month I can make, which is the only time you can join.

Though I mostly shoot longer distances, I want to try some of the 100 yard matches and have been going to The Shooters Corner for a long time but have never taken Bob's Clinic or shot in the winter league, which I am considering doing this winter.

If I like it, I guess a 6PPC will be in my future. Sure my 6mmBR Norma will not cut it.

I totally get the Money situation. I have been shooting and reloading since the 70s, but never Bench Rest or Precision. On my first trip to Bob's I dropped about $500.00 on Lapua Factory ammo so I could site in my three new custom builds and send fired cases to Whidden for dies.

After reading all the posts about cleaning, I figured I needed a lot of things that I have never used before and my second trip to Bobs was for Dewy Rods and all the solutions, patches, brushes, etc. needed. Way more than the $500.00 on the first trip.

Then after taking the 1,000 Yard School at Williamsport, Sinclair, K&M, 21st Century, Wilson, LadRadar, Whidden, Mitutoyo and a few other business's got help staying in business by my orders.

I don't even want to think about what I have spent on this sport already in the last 12 months. And I still have a long list of things to add.

Bob

Last edited:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bob,

Benchrest shooting is like a woman & a Harley, there is NO END of the ways you can spend money on them, LOL.

BTW, what do you think about your LabRadar chronograph. I just recieved mine & haven't had a chance to use it yet. Sure seems like the way to get the powder charge dialed in. Whatcha you think ????? Are you in NJ ??

I got that. No longer own my Harley but have two boats and a couple of airplanes so I totally get it. I will be working until they put me into the ground.

My LabRadar has not come yet. I played with one at the Willamsport 1,000 Yard School over the last weekend in June.

I belong to a private range in the Hamptons that has had problems with the young and very liberal over achieves out here. The nanny does not like the possibility that a projectile from the club may come within a few miles of the families $25 million dollar home, so we had to add 30 foot concrete tunnels to shoot through to limit the elevation of our barrels. Not only was this a huge expense, but to use a more conventional (and less costly chrono) you either have to use a magnetic one on the barrel (no so good for all my shoot guns and pistols) so the LabRadar seems to be the best alternative.

I live in Sag Harbor New York half the week and Manhattan in the West Village the other half. I teach flying at Warwick aiport part time, so I am in, around and through New Jersey on a regular basis.

Bob

Last edited:
BOB,

So we don't take over this thread with non topic stuff send me an email to my personal one & I'll get yours that way. I learned to fly at Ramapo Valley A/P, also known as "Death Valley" in Spring Valley until it closed & than based out of Wurtsboro when George Barone owned it. Many stories in that.

Al

Since I started the thread, doesn't matter to me. But E-mail me at: rkittine@aol.com.

Now I need your last name Al. I was a flight instructor at Ramapo Valley for years working for Tom O'Loney. My 1985 C-172, N98772 was the last plane off the ground when the airport closed in 1986 and somewhere I still have a picture of the equipment waiting to tear up the runway as I took off.

I taught for Tom at Lincoln Park, Princeton and Morristown too and teach now at Warwick and East Hampton, all part time and mostly advanced. Are you the "A" in TAG Aviation?

There is going to be another reunion in October. Ding Dong Doreen is setting it up! (She knew I called her that years ago).

Are you on the list?

See you on E-mail.

Bob

Back