Checkering advice

J

jeffsvice

I'm cleaning up an old Remington 700 varmint special... pillar bedding and refinishing the stock. The original pressed "checkering" is all but gone - in some areas all that's left is a faint outline of the border and fleur-de-lis and some light dimpling. I'm rerunning the checkering with a 22 lpi checkering set that seems to match the spacing of the exising dimples close enough. So far I've avoided any major mistakes and have completed the grip on both sides and the one-half of one of the fore-end panels. I started with a gunline premier set - and managed to find a reason to buy a couple more cutters and handles... but that could change at any moment :D - one can never have enough tools right?

My question - so far I've learned by doing, and probably learned wrong on some things... Is there out there in gunsmith land, an instructional treatise on checkering that might make my time more productive that you guys will recommend. At my current rate, I'll be finished around Christmas (next year).

I'm cleaning up an old Remington 700 varmint special... pillar bedding and refinishing the stock. The original pressed "checkering" is all but gone - in some areas all that's left is a faint outline of the border and fleur-de-lis and some light dimpling. I'm rerunning the checkering with a 22 lpi checkering set that seems to match the spacing of the exising dimples close enough. So far I've avoided any major mistakes and have completed the grip on both sides and the one-half of one of the fore-end panels. I started with a gunline premier set - and managed to find a reason to buy a couple more cutters and handles... but that could change at any moment :D - one can never have enough tools right?

My question - so far I've learned by doing, and probably learned wrong on some things... Is there out there in gunsmith land, an instructional treatise on checkering that might make my time more productive that you guys will recommend. At my current rate, I'll be finished around Christmas (next year).

Keep a "file card" handy, a small, flat wire brush for cleaning files. Use this often and gently to keep the finish from clogging your cutter.

practice

go slow

this IS practice

go slow

understand that checkering with hand tools pays roughly 1/3 McDonald's base rate

take your time..

Christmas??? That's only three wks away!

LOL

al

There is no substitute for practice and learning as you go with checkering. It is not a rush job at this stage. I had a hands on teacher when I first learned which definitely helped... I think what you are doing is harder than if you started from fresh...

When I have converted pressed checkering to "standard", I have used nothing but a V-tool, and I followed the existing pattern lines. Using a spacer could land you in some difficulty.

I don't have the patience for checkering, and I have proven that to myself several times! Some folks have told me that to checker well, one needs to blow about 0.2 on the breathalizer.

Clemson

Jeff:
What Al has indicated is absolutely true, go slow! and don't stay at it for very long periods at a time, however I might add that I used to Checker in my earlier days but have since taken up Stippling those areas instead, the Anschutz and Suhl type of stippling is excelent and adds finess to the product IMHO, very humble!
Do try both on some spare hardwood and see what ya think.

Clarence

Clarence,

I've tried leather tooling tools for stipling but am not wild about the findih. What do you use?

Bruce

I do checkering about once every 3 years, when the memory of headache, crossed eyes, and back pain fades.......But it sure looks good when I finish! Hint: get a cut-on-pull stroke CARBIDE tool. Cuts down the fear of the dreaded runover.:rolleyes:

My stock making friend says Monte Kennedys book is the book on stock making and checkering.

suggestion

like paul stated, monte kennedy's book on checkering and carving gunstocks is a must read. brownells used to offer (maybe still do) a checkering video of joe balicke which is good to see the proper lighting needed to checker. also the need for a stable bench and cradle. like others have stated, God bless you if you can checker as that is certainly NOT my gift. i would rather pay someone to do it than work myself into a frenzy. Fred

And as to my checkering experience, the same stock making buddy helped me stock my 350 Rigby. That was about six years ago, and I still haven't checkered the stock yet. I didn't have any problems gripping it on a very wet deer hunt.

Maybe this winter, after I finish a host of other gun projects.

Back