Changing 30 Degree Coned Barrel to 25 Degree's

Steelhead1

G Vanlier
I have an almost new Kreiger barrel that I originally chambered for a Panda Action with a 30 degree bolt face. I sold the Panda but the gent didn't want the new barrel. Today I chucked it up in the lathe and recut the cone angle to 25 to degree's so I could use the barrel in my Bat. After completing this I would have expected to have to move the shoulder ahead but it doesn't appear that changing the angle, effected any of the other dimensions( ie tennon length). My question is am I missing something or does that sound normal, I would have also figured I would have to touch up the chamber but when I put a piece of brass (made for this barrel) in the chamber everything apperars to look normal! Don't want to take it out of the lathe yet until I am certain I have this correctly done.
Now another problem crops up, can't get the old barrel off, got it in a Davidson Barrel vise, using a Bat Rear entry wrench, and a breaker bar and it won't budge! tried a little bit of heat with heat gun but no joy! Maybe I nead a longer length of pipe to slip over the breaker bar. Never had these problems with my Panda switch barrel gun! arggg!

Last edited:
If you can get a two handed t handle on the action wrench it will help. I had a barrel that I had installed with Kelbly's action wrench on a Panda action for a customer. He couldn't get the barrel off with a regular action wrench. The Kelbly T-handle wrench took it off easily. You might need something like that to fit the Bat action wrench to give you two handed leverage. The Kelbly wrench for a Panda won't fit a Bat as it's wider on the lugs.

Since the barrel stops on the shoulder........ I can't see anything one does to the rear of the tenon as affecting headspace. CASE SUPPORT, yes, but headspace??? Am I missing something?

Hey Al,
Finally, I got the barrel off an come to find out there is a difference in the tenon length, the Bat is .055 shorter than the Panda. Now I am going to have to shorten the tenon and run the reamer in to create the headspace needed. So I can make it work just, gotta do a little extra work on it. Thanks for responding always good to hear your input.

Gary

Hey Al,
Finally, I got the barrel off an come to find out there is a difference in the tenon length, the Bat is .055 shorter than the Panda. Now I am going to have to shorten the tenon and run the reamer in to create the headspace needed. So I can make it work just, gotta do a little extra work on it. Thanks for responding always good to hear your input.

Gary

Why not just fab a .055" spacer from tubing, similar to a recoil lug, much easier than re-chambering/ headspacing/ coning/etc.........Don

Bat tenon

STEELHEAD
The standard tenon lenght for a BAT action is 1.060" prior to threading. After the cone is cut, and the tenon threaded, and de-burred, the original 1.060" dimension could be .010" to .015" shorter. Check the headspace before you do any other machining.
Evelio.

Thanks Evelio,
I couldn't find the paper with the diemensions, of the threads and tenon that Tom Dixon sent me, but finally found them, your right on, when I finished adjusintg everything the final tenon length came out 1.056. and I now have the new barrel on the gun and just have to get out to the range to test it. Thanks for your input.

Gary

Evelio'
Yup, I must of done a good job when I theaded this barrel for the Panda because, when I screw the barrel into the Bat it actually feels much better than the Panda(was a bit loose) I plan on shooting it Monday weather permitting,

Back