Chambering Reference Material

Curious

So far Ive only used the 'thru the headstock' method with good results. I appreciate there are many ways to chamber a rifle barrel, between centers being another and then the variations on the themes.

Can anyone please direct me to some good articles or forum posts that cover different methods of chambering? I would like to try the between enters method but would like to make sure I full understand what is going on before I try.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Chambering through the headstock on a lathe where you can exactly align the bore at the point of bullet entry and at the point of bullet exit is the most consistent method. I am speaking from machining experience of over 60 years.

Sure, you can chamber winning barrels by several other methods, but the through the headstock method will get the maximum results out of any given barrel.

Chambering Barrels

do a search on this site...... it has been talked to death....... Gene Buckys (sp.? )... lately did a good write up on the steady rest method and Jackie Schmidt has done same with thru the headstock...... all have pics are are very well done...and I`d like to thank each man for taking the time to write up such informative information....
bill

do a search on this site...... it has been talked to death....... Gene Buckys (sp.? )... lately did a good write up on the steady rest method and Jackie Schmidt has done same with thru the headstock...... all have pics are are very well done...and I`d like to thank each man for taking the time to write up such informative information....
bill

I believe Gene Beggs did the steady rest write up you are referencing? http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?72314-Gene-beggs-on-chambering

Butch's headstock and Spear's steady methods here: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/barrel-chambering-my-way-232341/

Last edited:
So I'm a newbie at this so please don't get mad if I ask dumb questions.

I just read Butch's method of setting up a barrel through the headstock to chamber and I'm a little confused. I setup through the head stock too and use vipers method to dial the barrel in with a range rod. On Dan pastor "vipers" video he says he does not care if the muzzle end has run out he only cares about the two contact points from the range rod..... Butch dials in both sides of the barrel... What is the concerns for either method?

I have chambered three rifles and all are shooters just a little confused on if they muzzle end needs to be running dead nuts true or if the method I'm using is OK?

Back