chamber seal, kindofa bore guide...

alinwa

oft dis'd member
but not.....

In light of the other post about cleaning and brushing (UGGHHHH :eek: ) and keeping crap out of your chamber, action and trigger area..........

A real "bore guide" would have o-rings traveling down the barrel to keep the rod off the lands but this apparatus is working well for me.

This thang ain't a bore guide but it sure is a protector of your delicate internals .... and it shore makes your gun shoot better if your chamber is always properly dry instead of slobbered with the latest cleaning goop.

You take a Stoney Point "Bore Guide" (yeahh right!) of the appropriate diameter and unscrew the coned end and feed it to your cat. Now you cut a fired case off and affix it to the end that goes into the chamber as shown......

NO MORE crud.

al

Attachments

• BG.jpg
    BG.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,817
  • SM.jpg
    SM.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,071
Al,
You know we love ya' buddy, but the TK Nolan bore guide is absolute perfection.It don't get no better than that.
Joel

Al,
You know we love ya' buddy, but the TK Nolan bore guide is absolute perfection.It don't get no better than that.
Joel

Yup,

But I don't got one for every gun :)

This works for the stuff TK doesn't fit.

(and it's cheap!)

LOL

al

Do you think the Tk Nolan is better than Lucas bore guides? They seem to be the best I have ever used but I have never seen a Nolan.

Bee-twenty-three,
The TK Nolan is stainless steel and delrin---real quality,but not cheap, I think about $140. The Lucas is some type of plastic,same idea of controlling the rod but plastic flexes more,not as nice. The first and last Lucas bore guide I bought was bent( like it was too close to some kind of heat source for to long)( probably not Lucas's fault).I threw it in box somewhere.I don't have much patience for that kind of stuff.Roll yours across a table if it dosn't wobble it should work OK.
Joel

Pardon my intrusion here, but

stupid liddle pixsture

how does it seal the bore. Unless you use a smaller caliber round to enable the o-ring to fit properly. I'm talking about the 6ppc. Use a 22ppc???

Help me out here Al in Wash. I live in Metro New Orleans and a slow learner. Comes from hitting my head on the sidewalk when the boolits she be's flying.:eek:

Roy

how does it seal the bore. Unless you use a smaller caliber round to enable the o-ring to fit properly. I'm talking about the 6ppc. Use a 22ppc???

Help me out here Al in Wash. I live in Metro New Orleans and a slow learner. Comes from hitting my head on the sidewalk when the boolits she be's flying.:eek:

Roy

The o-ring comes to a stop at the neck/shoulder junction. You give it a little tension and lock the stop and from there on when you close and lock down it's sealed. You can leave the bore standing full of solvent if you plug the guide itself... OR, like in my case, you can pump water through the barrel for cooling and no leaks. With either method you must send a dry patch through after removing the tooling, just to get the solvent left puddled in front of the o-ring. This homemade setup leaves very little solvent because you use a fired case and the only possibility of solvent puddling is into that .001 gap between the case neck and chamber neck .

It is my opinion that a whole lot of folks (I've seen 'em do it! :)) stuff a Nolan or Lucas in there figuring that their whole chamber area is "sealed and protected" and follow with sloppy wet patches and drenched brushes or gooey compounds and work it all around to such an extent that the area ahead of the o-ring is JAM-FILLED with solvent and crud, packed in...... then they patch out through the guide, blithely pull the boreguide and start shooting. With the slop still in there. And wonder why "the first shot's always out!" Note that the Nolan is remarkably superior to the Lucas in this regard (no matter what the review over on 6mmBR sez re Lucas being best! :D )

Some will notice that the front of the boreguide's all wet and dripping on their stuff. And wipe IT off... :)

al

Back