Chamber Burrs

Gene DeLoney

I am sure that some one besides me has encountered the small burrs present on the down wind side of the lands after reaming a chamber.
Usually, it means that the reamer is getting dull and tend to smear a burr on the land in the throat but I have encountered this with new reamers and different brand barrels (maybe different heat treat or composition of the steel).
Any how this is not usually a problem with center fire with jacketed bullets as the burr will shoot away after a few shots.
But with rim fire with soft lead bullets those pesky burrs take a long time, if ever, to go away with rim fire bullets.
I have tried JB compound on a nylon brush pushed in and out and that only seems to polish the burr.
By the way, the burrs don't seem to affect accuracy but I am sure they don't help!
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Gene

I've had em

Cutting oil/fluid?

and use the Black cutting oil. I think it's the difference in the composition of the steel in a particular barrel because not all of them do it. A more annoying issue for me is the ring like scratches in the chamber behind the lead. I haven't seen many barrels that don't have them. I also think reamers with more flutes and a tight spiral might help with rimfire reamers anyway. The limited number of flutes tend to gab the soft metal, in my opinion.

Pete

If you are speaking of throat fluff from the reamer, I put some 0000 steel wool on a brass brush. I use a hand drill and and work it in the throat for about 15 seconds. This also takes care of all your one shot and clean breakin.

If you are speaking of throat fluff from the reamer, I put some 0000 steel wool on a brass brush. I use a hand drill and and work it in the throat for about 15 seconds. This also takes care of all your one shot and clean breakin.

One of the absolute better ways to destroy the potential of a RF match chamber.

To the OP, one of the many reasons the art of a 22 chamber usually does not translate from CF.
The first rule is don’t get them to start....obviously not the case here.
The better RF smiths often utilize a post chamber lapping procedure including indexing the lap. Some have given up on reamers entirely and bore them.

One of the absolute better ways to destroy the potential of a RF match chamber.

To the OP, one of the many reasons the art of a 22 chamber usually does not translate from CF.
The first rule is don’t get them to start....obviously not the case here.
The better RF smiths often utilize a post chamber lapping procedure including indexing the lap. Some have given up on reamers entirely and bore them.

Timmy, I didn't see that RF was specified.

Update on removing chamber burrs

Some may frown on this and others may cheer but this is what I did and it works.
Took a 4 inch long piece of 1/4 steel rod and turned the first 1 inch down to .224 and then cut a 2 degree angle on the nose to match the angle of my reamer,
polished the cuts with fine grit cloth,added a handle made of 1 in. Delrin and using 500 grit Brownell paste SPARINGLY, gently lapped the throat in the barrel.
The barrel was was mounted thru the head stock on the lathe and spun at 100 RPM and the tool inserted gently against the lead.
This did advance the throat by .010 which is OK but the burrs are GONE!
I should mention that I tried the procedure 3 times on a piece of barrel before I had the courage to try it on my good barrel.
Gene

Well, there you go.
Basically you made a hobb which some RF smiths have used to finish a RF chamber and it absolutely can be used to clean up a match chamber. Glad it worked out for you.

Back