Cases & Overpressure

Just for grins...what shellholder are you using?

I use a Redding #12 shellholder.

When you said that the case should not expand more than 0.0005, what do yo mean with "after the first firing"?
Is this after fireforming?
I compared my new .220Lapua with (fireformed) cases that have been reloaded 4 times.
Also I use a Wilson neck die and a Redding small base body die.

Remember a die, small base included will not size the web. Have you measured a before and after rim. I have some that have multiple firings in a plinking rifle and the rims measure the same.

Tight bore???

A friend has a situation whereby he couldn't use what were considered average loads due to a pressure problem. Turned out his barrel had a tight bore as the grooves were not cut as deep as they generally are. The maker made it right and now the barrel is good pressure wise.

Thanks for all the replies!

I checked the cartridge OAL: 2,089"

And bullet length: 0,835"

As I said I already use a drop tube and a load above 30grs just won't fit.

Also I checked the groove of fired and new cases and there was no difference - so I believe this is good.
(I did throw the "problem cases" away by now)

So he has a full.25" plus bullet in the case...
Is this a short oal ?

So he has a full.25" plus bullet in the case...
Is this a short oal ?

With the throat that I have, he is only about .030" shorter than mine. I think he is good to go.

You can put a small wire spring in your drop tube and very slowly drop your powder. I bet you can put 31grn. in it pretty easy.

I need to qualify my post. OAL will vary quite a bit depending on the bullet shape.

Last edited:
The only times I ever have had problems with cases not fitting in a correct shellholder....the extractor had a burr and was burring the case rim. Small diamond file will fix both.

Hovis

Thank you very much, your help is much appreciated!
I shot 40 cases yesterday (with my current "light" load) and all were good after firing.
Maybe my 68gr bullets are a little long and therefore I can not get the cases any fuller, but I will try that wire spring in my drop tube.

Thanks again!

Back