Case lube..

Rustystud

I saw a "YOUTUBE" where a guy filled a bottle cap half full, 1/8" deep and stuck his cases necks in Castrol 5w15 Synthetic. He then rubbed the residual on his case and sized his case. He said he only had to lube about every 5th case. Has anybody else tried this?

Nat Lambeth

I use Marvel Mystery Oil, one of the best lubricants in my experience. First I neck size, then/ if needed / I run the cases thru a full length sizer with removed decapping pin, so I keep the inside free of oil.

There's other videos on there using STP oil treatment.

Imperial sizing wax works pretty well.

Imperial sizing wax works pretty well.

I agree.
The lubes may work very well and possibly even out perform it but, I`ve never stuck a case useing Imperial and so have no desire to try the others...As for motor oil, and odd home brewed lubes, I also don`t want petroleum products inside the case where it may contaminate the powder. Now malt based home brewed lubes.........:D:D

I recently purchased some of the Dillon spray lube. It works way better than anything that I had tried previously.
It is a lanolin based lube in an alcohol carrier in a pump sprayer. Doesn't make a big mess like most others and cleans up easy.

I used to use Imperial, but found some cases were sticky coming back out of the sizing die. I pulled out an old RCBS lube pad I bought probably over 20 years ago and got some fresh RCBS case lube. It works great. You can lay 10-12 cases right on the pad, make one back and forth roll with the palm of your hand, and you're good to go. It's water based and wipes off as easy as Imperial.

I use spray canola oil. The kind you use on a cake pan to keep things from sticking. I lay the cases out so none of the mouths are facing the spray. Make one quick pass and roll the cases a little. You can lube 200 cases in 6 seconds.

I keep hearing about all these new and improved ways of doing things but I do it exactly like wayne shaw and have for almost 50 years. Its hard to argue with success.

Although they obviously work, I am not sure that some of the currently popular case lubes are completely removed by wiping with a dry cloth, and I prefer getting it all off. With short cases and high pressures, having residual lubricant on the case or in the chamber is probably not a good idea.

When I need case lube, I use RCBS Case Lube II which is a water soluble liquid. I put a drop on my finger tip and apply it by hand. A wet cloth removes it. The old RCBS case lube was anhydrous lanolin (I think) and was hard to get completely off of a case.

Another way that I keep lube out of the chamber is to use a strip of paper towel wrapped onto a brush to dry the chamber after cleaning. I think that it does a better job than other methods that I have seen. I wipe the chamber twice, turning the towel strip and rewrapping the brush before the second time. I wrap the toweling loosely and oversize to the chamber, tapering past the front of the brush. Pushing it as far forward in the chamber as far as possible and twisting back and forth gets into the throat area, and helps keep the powder residue and possibly the beginnings of carbon buildup under control in this area.

Yep.....

I used to use Imperial, but found some cases were sticky coming back out of the sizing die. I pulled out an old RCBS lube pad I bought probably over 20 years ago and got some fresh RCBS case lube. It works great. You can lay 10-12 cases right on the pad, make one back and forth roll with the palm of your hand, and you're good to go. It's water based and wipes off as easy as Imperial.

Works great for me too....virg

I use Hornady One-Shot, it's non-petroleum based and dries on the cases. No need to wipe it off and it's not sticky. Like a previous poster, I lay the cases on a cookie sheet, spray the cases, roll them around a little, wait five minutes for the spray to coat the cases, and then resize. :)

Apple case crumb cake. In Norwegian that is "Boom Ca-ka".

So why make things more complicated than they need to be? This isn't rocket science. I use RCBS lube and lube pad and am completely satisfied. When forming difficult cases, such as Ackley Improved brass, I use Imperial. KISS.

Lee case lube.

I wear surgical gloves and apply with my fingers.

Either leave the dried lube on, wipe with a cloth or tumble.

Back