Cartridge opinions?

Boyd Allen

In the region of 1-600 yards, which cartridge/bullet combination do you think is the easiest to tune up and shoot small with? I was thinking of a cut rifled, 8" twist 6BR barrel. about 27" long, LV contour, with some sort of tuner brake, on a benchrest stock.

Boyd, Go with a Dasher with a 28" HV. 7.75 twist……… A 6 BR can not keep up with the conditions all the time. Bullets…. 103, 104, 105 and 106 pretty much covers it……… jim

Last edited:
27" 6 Dasher barrel and what ever bullet the barrel likes . Right now mine like the 105 Barts BT and a couple 108 Berger BT lot #'s. I just could never keep a 6 BR in tune.

You gotta go with the new

In the region of 1-600 yards, which cartridge/bullet combination do you think is the easiest to tune up and shoot small with? I was thinking of a cut rifled, 8" twist 6BR barrel. about 27" long, LV contour, with some sort of tuner brake, on a benchrest stock.

30 - 416 cheytec I am sure that you could get at least 6k fps. Ha.....

I don't know Boyd,

But I get beat often by a certain guy at Sacramento with his old 6BR and my 6BRX shoots pretty good!

Hi Boyd! I guess I would decide if the schedule is weighted more toward the 100 or the 600 yard ranges to be shot. I strongly beieve in building a gun that is the best it can be at one thing. 100-600 is a wide range to expect any setup to be at it best at, at all of it.

A few years back I built a 10 twist 6br that did very well at various yardages using 87 bergers and 95 bibs. I even won a 100 yard score match in trigger pulling conditions with it. We all know that's not supposed to happen;)

IMHO, accuracy trumps all else out to 400-500 yards. After that, bc becomes more and more of a factor. I think that if conditions are good, that setup would shoot with anything at 600 yards. In bad conditions, I'll take bc and a little luck, with a fast twist 6br, dasher, brx or even 6x47@600. Stretch it out to 1000 in bad conditions...I want the best possible bc, good speed, and a whole lot of good luck..as well as a good shooting rifle..but it doesn't have to be a GREAT shooting rifle at that distance in bad conditions...but you do have to have some good luck, regardless. The rifle just becomes less critical.. JMO...I'm thinking you already have a good idea about what will work for you.

Hi Boyd! I guess I would decide if the schedule is weighted more toward the 100 or the 600 yard ranges to be shot. I strongly beieve in building a gun that is the best it can be at one thing. 100-600 is a wide range to expect any setup to be at it best at, at all of it.

A few years back I built a 10 twist 6br that did very well at various yardages using 87 bergers and 95 bibs. I even won a 100 yard score match in trigger pulling conditions with it. We all know that's not supposed to happen;)

IMHO, accuracy trumps all else out to 400-500 yards. After that, bc becomes more and more of a factor. I think that if conditions are good, that setup would shoot with anything at 600 yards. In bad conditions, I'll take bc and a little luck, with a fast twist 6br, dasher, brx or even 6x47@600. Stretch it out to 1000 in bad conditions...I want the best possible bc, good speed, and a whole lot of good luck..as well as a good shooting rifle..but it doesn't have to be a GREAT shooting rifle at that distance in bad conditions...but you do have to have some good luck, regardless. The rifle just becomes less critical.. JMO...I'm thinking you already have a good idea about what will work for you.

let me get this right, less accurate rifles need for long range than short? 300 yd. short range records are .7 and .8 range and a Dasher record at 600 is.336. Some how i'm missing something here ……. jim

let me get this right, less accurate rifles need for long range than short? 300 yd. short range records are .7 and .8 range and a Dasher record at 600 is.336. Some how i'm missing something here ……. jim

Yes Jim, you missed where I said " in bad conditions." We surely can agree that scores and aggs get worse in tough conditions. We've all got "teen" or "zero" rifles in perfect conditions, so at what point does having a "teen or zero" rifle get beaten by a solid .250 gun? My point wasn't debatable really. Everyone knows that the best gun doesn't ALWAY win, particularly when conditions are bad. And where did you get your incorrect information about 300 yard record groups being that big? It took about 10 seconds to go to the IBS site for records. http://internationalbenchrest.com/records/group/index.php

My post had nothing to do with long range cartridges not being able to shoot small. Get the chip off of your shoulder. It's Christmas time.:D

Last edited:
Your right, i read meters records and they are big. I didn't know you shot long range? …. jim

Jim, I don't shoot registered long range...or haven't. That's not to say I don't shoot long range. I'm fortunate enough to have the land to shoot long and short range on for testing or fun. I have been a regular in registered short range score matches for several years. I'm the type of person that will shoot whatever is closest by. In my case, there are several 100-300 yard ranges that hold score matches that are under 4 hrs away. A couple of years back, there were two under 1 hour. The closest group is 5 hrs and the closest long range is about the same...maybe a little over 4 hours to oak ridge and 5 to st. Louis.

Last edited:
Mike, my point is when you have 10- 15 guys on the line and regardless of the condition you get a better feel for what it takes to win. There is no going back to the sighter target on a condition change, you have to rely on what you zeroed in on to put you in the middle and barrel good enough to shoot through small pickups and let offs. In totally bad conditions were most are DQ ing. it still takes a good barrel and your ability to average the conditions to stay on the paper, no luck involved, to that point. Luck is when you have a gun problem and you bring one up dial it in from what you had on the other one and place with no sighters… LOL….. jim

Boyd, I'm going to give the BB gun, as I call them. The 6mm Dasher! Has really made an impression on me. I'm shooting twice the bullet out of my 300 WSM but those little buggers seem to sometimes just squeak my out. Not all the time. The other thing you have to consider, there's a lot of bullet makers out there that have been making some damn nice bullets in 6mm.

Joe Salt

Boyd, I'm going to give the BB gun, as I call them. The 6mm Dasher! Has really made an impression on me. I'm shooting twice the bullet out of my 300 WSM but those little buggers seem to sometimes just squeak my out. Not all the time. The other thing you have to consider, there's a lot of bullet makers out there that have been making some damn nice bullets in 6mm.

Joe Salt

Better late than never Joe!

Tom and Jim, I believe he saw the light. Must of been that little mouse that kept twisting his arm. I don't know know who that was. Matt

Joe isn't going to know what to do with a light gun that don't jump out of the bags. He might think he forgot to add powder the first few shots. Hope you realize there won't be any excuses now, lol.

Boyd, my 2 cents worth is to just do a dasher. There's just something about it, it plain arse works.

Tom

The sky is falling,
the sky is falling!

i have been reading these forums for over 10 years,
only recently joined.

Joe said WHAT ??

Come on guys no use in letting a good rifle sit in the safe. Besides this is going to be a test. Can't understand why those little BB Guns shoot like they do! You can just about hear the crack when they go over your head in the pits. I don't know how I'm going to see the splash on the back bank, on an overcast day.

Joe Salt

Back