Cargo trailer for benchrest?

While at the cactus classic i noticed a few cargo trailers in the lot. I have for sometime now ben thinking about getting me one. I have decided that i only need a single axle with a side door. The problem i am having is figuring out what size i should get?. Should i get one with double doors in the back or a drop down door?. what is about the right size for a single person to use 6x10- 6x12 . What size have some of you that have cargo trailers fill comfortable with. I will be doing all my loading and cleaning inside this trailer. You can PM me if you Like

Gabe

I am in the process of finishing the interior of my "Shooting" trailer now. I bought a tandem axle trailer simple because they tow better and I like the advantage of those four wheels on the ground especially in the case of a flat, or blow out. Mine is 14x7 and has a side door only. I did have three windows installed like you would find on a "Concession" trailer. The windows serve for me a place to shoot from ( inside the trailer) when at my local private range, and since there is a window on both sides as well as the back trailer position is not a concern when parking. Another words I can back up to the firing line or pull in side ways if I am alone.

I went to the trouble and expense because of the firing positions at this range. The firing line is elevated and we shoot from this platform. There are a set of steps ( 16) that go up to this platform. Seeing as how I am doing good to walk on flat ground those steps and the many trips to get all of my stuff up there is a deal killer for me. I almost always have the range to myself and even if there are other shooters there I can park next to this platform to shoot.

I built inside, or I am building inside, a loading bench as well. The trailer is equipped with electric as well. A generator and inverter's that I can run on Battery power and have a four battery deep cycle battery pack, or off of the truck. I have used this trailer twice in going to Benchrest match's and must say it is an advantage in loading and hauling all of the stuff. Is it necessary? No not at all but it sure makes things easier.

Roland

Don't really know - as always

But I've loaded in a trailer a number of times at the Super Shoot...and noted what the other guys had as well. This is such a personal thing it ain't hardly worth talking about but is such a deal that it is hardly NOT worth talking about. Certainly, its not always the best thing to use and will cost extra to pull it along but always good to have when you're headed to somewhere like the Super Shoot. It will close up quickly and leave you impervious to the wind, rain, and cold - certainly you'll need heat and air.

Windows are good but can, and often do, become something other than windows. As far as the doors, look around at what is popular and get that - so you can sell it later. Later is always headed your way.

As far as size is concerned, I don't know other than the possibility of having someone else travel with you...or load with you when you get there. Some folks like a partner and some don't. If you're a loner, get the smallest trailer you can live with as the smaller it is the cheaper it will be to pull. It would seem that a small trailer would be difficult to control the heat and air but I don't know that to be true.

I don't have an opinion on whether or not to build stuff in your trailer. If I had one I suppose I would build a table and screw it to the floor to keep it in place - that's about all. On the other hand, you could just use the trailer to get out of the weather and load there just as you do without a trailer. Shooting stuff would be kept in the trailer but would be such that I could go to a match without the trailer. By the way, you've got to have something that keeps your stuff from sliding all over.

Just thinking out loud trying to help....maybe somebody that actually knows will chime in. I really enjoyed those times I loaded in such a rig....with one exception in Midland where I left for the motel and the fellow took a nap in his camper without closing the trailer. A wind came up and I've still got some Texas dust in my stuff after all these years.

Remember if it is a 6' wide and you tow behind a truck which is also 6' (roughly) the mileage will be a lot better and will take less hp. But whatever you do get one that is 6' 6" inside height measurement. I have had mine since 1997. 12' long, 6' wide, 6'6", single axle, with the wheels outside, and I live in it, plus load. You will hear a lot about single axle and double axle so I will not discuss which is better. In the years I have had mine, I had 1 blowout, make sure you change the tires every 6 years MAX, I go 5 years. The blow out happened on #94 between Port Huron and Detroit in morning rush hour. Looked back, saw people backing away, tire blew, took the fender with it, which is common, and I gently drove over to the side of the road, with no problems, balancing the trailer beening the key here. Change the tire, bought a new fender when I got back, $20.00 and away I went. My trailer will be parked at SS and will gladly take you through it. Oh I bought the barn doors for the back, easier to open, put in windows. I have a side door, 3 windows, BBQ, Fridge, bed, loading area, microwave, awing, carpet and a 70lb dog. You really have to think small, but it is fun. If you want to see pictures, email me. "NO" it is not for sale.

I have a 6x10 just for hauling all my stuff plus loading in. Bill's trailer is laid out really nice but, he also lives in it at the matches. Those who travel a lot to matches carry a ton of stuff, from guns, loading equipment to tables, chairs, grills and whatever. All that stuff packed in the motorhome took up a ton of room which is why I got a trailer. If your going to live in it at the matches get at least a 12'. Have Bill send you some pictures and you'll get an idea of what you need.

Jeff Aberegg

Guess I've got the best of both worlds, I have 6'x10 that I can carry my my guns my rests, cleaning stuff,chairs or what ever. I park it next to or cleaning benches and thats where it stays! then I have a 33' camper that stays at the range, that is all set up for my reloading and sleeping. Then the truck is there if I need to go out for anything. Love Being Retired!

Joe Salt

Thanks all for the good info. I went out and measured where i am going to park this trailer and found that i can put a 12 footer OK. i can always use the extra room for extra gear i might need. Bill if you don't mind please send me a few picks of the interior of your trailer, Just want to get an idea of the layout of your trailer. Thanks

Thanks all for the good info. I went out and measured where i am going to park this trailer and found that i can put a 12 footer OK. i can always use the extra room for extra gear i might need. Bill if you don't mind please send me a few picks of the interior of your trailer, Just want to get an idea of the layout of your trailer. Thanks

How 'bout something like this?

l would also like to have a loading/sleeping trailer. St Louis is where I shoot 85percent of the time and they have a shower house in the club house. I would like a loading trailer where I could mount a bed on the wall for napping. My only other requirement would be AC. Im just not sure what type of unit you would use in a trailer such as these?

That is a picture of my trailer i bought it from Lowell Frei.

Art Clegg

Thanks Art, I knew it looked very familiar. There was a guy from Utah that had a pretty nice rig like yours but he quit shooting.
Sorry I didn't make it to the Cactus, but it's the last time I'll miss it.

How 'bout something like this?

Art, very nice interior, I like just about everything about it. That Strong Safari case is also very nice I own three of those and would not be without them for my match rifles. I believe yours are like my own double rifle cases converted for a single rifle.

Is your trailer a converted RV?

Roland

goodgrouper thanks for the pick. Art that is one nice setup you have there very well organized and clean

The pic was taken when it was Lowell's. You could eat off the floor in there! Now that it's Art's, I think the county health department was notified..........:p

Just teasing Art! It actually looks very nice still the last time I saw it.:)
Wish it was mine........but I've said that about a lot of stuff in Benchrest!

Jim that picture was taken when it was mine out at Ben Avery. That's my press and powder measure and gun case. Since that picture was taken I've removed the fold out bed.
This trailer is a 12ft Wells Cargo trailer. It also has a AC unit 12volt battery pack and a propane tank for the small hot plate and a full awning on the door side and trailer brakes.

Art Clegg

The wife and I load and live out of a 6x14 V-nose. It has the 6' 6" ceiling. Barn doors on rear (which I prefer). Built a bench and cabinets in the V-Nose and two can load comfortably in it. It is a single axle and it being the size that it is, I do wish I would have gotten the tandem axles with brakes. We have a coleman AC on top (make sure you buy one with the AC bracket already installed), I wired it myself, put in lights, outlets, breaker box, etc. The one thing that helped a bunch was insulating the ceiling with styrofoam insulation and a 1/4" white board under it. HUGE difference in comfort. We have a refrigerator, microwave, full size bed, and TV with DVD. I will probably install a canopy on it.

What would I do different?

1. Tandem axle w/brakes for anything 16ft or longer.
2. I bought the trailer direct and after doing the work myself, I could have had it done for very little more (except loading bench and cabinets).

Here is the URL to who I bought through and picked it up at the factory, which is close to the Shamrock, GA shoot.

http://www.lkntrailers.com/index.html

They do not include the V-nose in the size measurement, so a 6x12 is actuallyt 14ft to the front of the nose. There are nicer made trailers but I am happy and have used it for 3 yrs now.

Kevin

Bill Gammon prolly has the nicest trailer. Set up wise.
Dominic Grunis and John are second. Jeff has a motorhome from the 60's..........
Kevin h. did you say you had a wife. I could not tell the difference between yours and Gammon's.
Maybe, there was an upgrade in there somewhere there. er, whatever............

Super Shoot prolly has the best "BENCHREST SHOOTING TRAILER SHOW" out there. Come on down the Jim Kelbly Trailer Show..........Bring your rifle. Lotsa shooting......

Kevin h. did you say you had a wife. I could not tell the difference between yours and Gammon's.
Maybe, there was an upgrade in there somewhere there. er, whatever............

Now I'm lost.
Are we still talking about trailers? Comparing wives?

Back