Cardboard backing

Time tested products

After over nine years this thread starts up again.

At our club’s range in San Angelo, Texas we have used nearly all the products mentioned. We have not used any fabric yet. For our benchrest contests we remove our targets for scoring so we need to attach them to the backers with something that will allow simple removal (staples, tacks, tape, etc.).

Coregated plain cardboard works fine until it gets wet or gets shot up. Black celotex is more resistant to moisture but bullets blow out the back badly.

We have settled on corplast for it’s water resistant qualities. It is not perfect because it does tend to get a lot of holes shot in it and the lumber that it is attached to warps and causes it to bow. Until something better is suggested, we will continue with corplast because it works.

After all, we are just trying to hold a target still while we shoot at it.

I have read of a range using plastic screen stapled over the target frames in lieu of cardboard backer with the target face glued, as usual, to the screen. He claimed they held up extremely well in rain and target repair was a simple smaller patch of screen glued over the face and a new center pasted up. I am tempted to try it on our range for F-class as a test case as we get plenty of rain.

I've used black coroplast for years for my ARA rimfire matches. I really like it for the reasons that other posters have mentioned.

Here's a trick I use.
In ARA, it's legal to hang your target horizontally or vertically. (Actually, you can hang it any way you want. 90% of the shooters hang theirs horizontally. The other 10% hang theirs vertically.)

I lay an old target vertically and centered on each piece of coroplast. Using a narrow brush, I paint a white line along each corner of the target. Then I rotate the target to horizontal and paint the corners again.

I tell shooters that they can hang their targets either horizontally or vertically, but to hang them within the white corners.
The advantage to this is that the bullets go generally through the same holes target after target. I can use the same coroplast for at least ten to twenty matches.
And, after the coroplast is shot away behind each bull, the sun can shine through, making the holes in the targets even more visible.

99% of ARA shooters staple their targets to the coroplast. Because the shooters locate their targets the same place every time, the staples will be in the same locations, making it quick and easy to extract the staples after each match.

Hawkeye Wizard

where to get coroplast?

For that purpose, they will all work well including the cardboard. I recommend the coroplast because it will hold up best in the weather and it has a clean white look. We have a 2X4 flat lumber frame on the outside only and these products hold the target staples just fine.

Can get coroplast here: corrugatedplasticsheet.net/manufacturers/corrugated-plastic-sheets/

We get ours from a local sign shop in 4x8 sheets. If they don’t have any, they get it from their supplier who sends a weekly truck. They can get it in cut to order sizes but it is cheaper if we cut it ourselves.

We(Orrington Rod and Gun)

6 yardages a year, IBS score. A set of coroplast inserts lasts all year and into the next. When holes get big, just put masking tape over them. It prolongs the life quite a bit. Great stuff!!

Back