Carbon ring

I have bottles of so called copper remover and my bench looks like an alchemists display. Take a few pennies and put your favorite on each. You will find GS12 will be no 1 Bore- tech eliminator and sweets next,shooters choice and Butches last. I do not have the complete array of chemicals but enough to satisfy me. Give them a time trial and weigh the pennies on a digital scale and see the difference.

:) Let me rephrase. I won't be putting a tool of this design, made from ANY kind of steel, in one of my benchrest barrels. You should have seen what happened when one of those tools was used with a case that was not quite short enough, and the idiot forced the bolt closed. If swaged the end of the neck part of the chamber so that it looked like the radius at the front corner of the tool, and pushed up a razor thin ridge that stuck up slightly above the freebore diameter most of the way around. A friend with a throating reamer was kind enough to cut the top off of the ridge. Murphy

:) Let me rephrase. I won't be putting a tool of this design, made from ANY kind of steel, in one of my benchrest barrels. You should have seen what happened when one of those tools was used with a case that was not quite short enough, and the idiot forced the bolt closed. If swaged the end of the neck part of the chamber so that it looked like the radius at the front corner of the tool, and pushed up a razor thin ridge that stuck up slightly above the freebore diameter most of the way around. A friend with a throating reamer was kind enough to cut the top off of the ridge. Murphy

Boyd, this is exactly what happened to me.

Dick

Yes. But I think it depends on the barrel itself. I've had barrels that would let me go an entire Unlimited agg (10 shots plus sighters and foulers) without cleaning with no noticeable loss in accuracy. But then I've had barrels that would "pattern" like a shotgun if they weren't cleaned every 20 shots.

Grouper have you been able to notice if the brand/make of the barrel has been consistent with the carbon ring or lack there of?
Re-worded: Have you noticed that one brand of barrel seems to have the same consistent characteristics in how carbon builds up or not?

Grouper have you been able to notice if the brand/make of the barrel has been consistent with the carbon ring or lack there of?
Re-worded: Have you noticed that one brand of barrel seems to have the same consistent characteristics in how carbon builds up or not?

No. I think all the barrel manufacturers are making great barrels right now----but they are all limited in final quality by the company they buy the barrel steel from. Seems that when the economy went down the drain, the steel companies went looking for ways to cut corners to save costs. I have no proof of that, just a theory. But I've been seeing brand new barrels from several great barrel companies burn out quicker and foul much worse the last two or three years than they ever did before.

Remembering back 10 years or so, we used a Wilson neck sizing tool to resize cases. Every so often, every 10-15 reloadings, we would run the cases through a F/L die if they got really tight. Now, with the loads we are shooting today, we F/L after every loading. That is part of the barrel life problem.

Jim Borden wrote an article a few years ago just about when BBS and MX was starting to be used. He made a pretty good argument that excessive Ammonia, in a hot barrel, was contributing to early barrel failure. Sweets has been used for years but they changed the formula some time back. The old bottle instructions was to wear rubber gloves when using Sweets. That message is gone now.

Recently I switched back to Hoppes #9 since I have had no coppering problems in years.

As to carbon rings, there are two carbon rings that we must contend with. One ring, and it must be brushed out using a larger brush and a twisting motion, is the ring at the end of the chamber neck. The other "ring" is in the bore itself. If you are having a buildup with the powder/load you are using, you can feel this ring with a tight, wet, patch. It can be chemically removed (Sweets, Wipeout, GM Top, etc), abrasively removed (Iosso, JB, etc) or brushed out or a combination of these.

Jerry cuts directly to the heart of the problem and how to solve it.
However, on rifle you shoot more like varmint rifles in the field, I believe this can become a problem. So, given you have properly trimmed cases, does the chamfer both inside and out affect the carbon ring becoming a problem?

One thing that I have toyed with is turning perhaps the front .025 of the neck thinner than the rest. The thin part would serve just as well to block carbon from being laid down in the area it covers, but if I get a little behind with my trimming, and the end of the neck overlaps some fouling, there would be some clearance. Another thing to remember is that you can be trimmed right, but if the shoulder is bumped a little too much, the end of the neck can be on top of fouling. That is one reason that I like to trim my PPC brass with a hand trimmer that indexes off of the shoulder.

Back