Carbon Fiber Rod?

G

gary1

Anyone using solid carbon fiber one piece cleaning rods from Tipton (or others) and can share good and/or bad experiences? I've only used Hall and primarily, Dewey coated one piece rods, but my last Hall's coating shrunk and then started to peel at a nicked area. It also took a slight permanent bend, so a new rod is needed and the carbon fiber ones won't permanently bend and no coating to shrink or peel. I'm only concerned with its surface imbeding materials that can harm my bores. Any experiences?

I like them,

and that's all i used for a long time. I know of a former barrel maker and that's all he would use. But I recently a proshot and like it lots too. I think any more i buy will be proshots.
Larry

Anyone using solid carbon fiber one piece cleaning rods from Tipton (or others) and can share good and/or bad experiences? I've only used Hall and primarily, Dewey coated one piece rods, but my last Hall's coating shrunk and then started to peel at a nicked area. It also took a slight permanent bend, so a new rod is needed and the carbon fiber ones won't permanently bend and no coating to shrink or peel. I'm only concerned with its surface imbeding materials that can harm my bores. Any experiences?

Tipton 44 in. 22-26 Cal. broken two! Always on the last dry patch. Just about the time I think the patch is going to start the shaft loads up, pops out to the side and snaps. Spooky part is the broken shaft sticking out of the rod guide. I've come close to jamming it into my arm. :eek: Not happy about that but Battenfeld will replace them.

D R

I have been using the carbon fiber Tipton rods for several years.
They do break, but Midway has replaced everyone.
The ferrel has the tendency to come off, they are only crimped on.
I epoxy back on and good to go
Coating does not come off.That was my main problem with the Dewey rods &
Bore Tech.
Dan

Had a Tipton carbon fibre rod break a couple of weeks ago - which was replaced by Midway.

But it was a bit of a shock when it went. Just rodding normally, with a bore guide, and the thing quickly arched up, snapped, and left a long jagged piece sticking out from the chamber.

I suppose it could have been a lot worse. But I'm extra careful these days to not load up the carbon fibre rods. If I'm using a new-ish bronze brush and some elbow grease is involved - then I use a steel rod.

Dr

Tipton 44 in. 22-26 Cal. broken two! Always on the last dry patch. Just about the time I think the patch is going to start the shaft loads up, pops out to the side and snaps. Spooky part is the broken shaft sticking out of the rod guide. I've come close to jamming it into my arm. :eek: Not happy about that but Battenfeld will replace them.

D R

I have one Tipton .22 rod that works fine. You using correct size patches?

I have the Tipton. Real nice.
They have a .30 cal. just for Service rifles. Great rod.
Use the .22 cal. for .223 and 6PPC. Shoot most weekends. So it gets used alot. Had it about 3 yrs.

I like a tight patch and the dry ones hang up a bit. If you get agressive with the smaller diameter Tiptons, they will snap. No problems at all with the heavier ones. I like the Tiptons, just need to be aware that they will snap. Also I've had them come new out of the box with the brass tip not aligned with the rod, NO BUENO!

I have one Tipton .22 rod that works fine. You using correct size patches?

.22 patches stuck in the corner! No problem with a oiled patch and no warning when using a dry patch. I'm sure the 44 in. rod I need dose not help the situation.

D R

Try a 1" patch and a .22 cal jag.
Or try .17 cal. jag.
The guys shooting Benchrest 6PPC use Sinclair 1 3/4" Patch and a Dewey .22 Jag. You off set the patch for the tightness. Offset for wetting the bore.
More to the center for drying the bore and removing the cleaner.
Other patches don't work this way. I tried them. :eek:
I use a .22 jag and 1" or 1 1/8" Sinclair patches in my .223s. Depends on what you are doing. Loose for cleaner. Tight for drying.
Loose for the Lock-ease. :)

I have been using the Tipton 30 cal. for the last year and it has been great. It is the longest they make (I think 55 inches) and the only problem I have had is that on occasion I get a sliver of carbon fiber in my hand...boy it is hard to get out! :(

I can say it because that is how I feel about it. If you read close you will notice I said "on occasion" not every time. I will replace it but once more it has worked great for me and my only complaint would be the two or three times i got a splinter! Is it the best rod out there...no, does it work...yes. Maybe I am a sucker for a little pain here and there!:p Like that damn 0000 steel wool I use on the inside of my case mouths...man those splinters are hard to get out too but as long as I see those single digit ES's I just can't keep myself from using it.

I have 7 Deweys and 1 Bore Tech but I had a special need for a very long rod so that is when I decided to give the carbon fiber a try. I will probably stick with Bore Tech since I really like their rods and I think they make up to 60". I am sure Denny Phillips Ivey and Pro-Shot make a great product but I have an aversion to using an uncoated rod. Do they make a coated one that I am not seeing?

I don't know Butch. Just something I can't get past. I think maybe when I started 20 years ago one of my mentors (Earl Thompson) put that in my head and it stuck. I'm like that with brushes too, went to nylon and do the extra work. I just can't get use to the "metal on metal" thing. No proof that it means anything...just habit. I have so many bad habits I leave the little ones alone! :D

The carbon rod I have from Tipton has been used for a few weeks now and I have to say I am impressed. So far I see nothing negative about this rod. It is very light and strong.

I'm not sure how someone is getting slivers from this rod, but mine has been run through the barrel a few hundred times so far and still has a gloss finish everywhere.

I feel that these are safe against steel, and a better choice. All of the fibers are unidirectional, and they are bound by epoxy. Yet, it is compressed when made, so it is almost pure carbon (don't worry about epoxy flaking off).

Carbon by itself may be mildly abrasive, but it is no where near abrasive as a metal. Try cutting woven steel fabric and woven carbon fabric with a set of shears, and see which one dulls the shears more quickly. ;)

Back