carbide inserts

dokey

What would be the best carbide inserts and techniques for tapering barrels to a sporter contour on a Harrison M300 Lathe

I'd recommend positive rake inserts. I have had the best luck with Sandvik *CMT inserts. TCMT, DCMT, or CCMT. I find the UM chipbreaker works best, but it's difficult to take a deep enough cut to make them effective without some sort of workpiece support.

Carbide tooling for barrel contouring , especially on a small lathe would not be my choice. True that carbide tooling offers the best wear resistance, but vibration is its worst enemy. Long, flimsy, barrels do vibrate some regardless the setup. My first choice would be High Speed Cobalt HSSCo, in insert form if you want easy interchangeability, or, hand ground to have good chipbreaking design and sharp cutting edge for less pushoff
and least heat buildup.

The main thing to be aware of in barrel contouring is any cutting motion that would build up stresses in the barrel, so, make sure you have a cutting edge that cuts with minimum stress.

Dcmt dcmw

Hello Dokey

Arthur Warner does not list the 55° inserts as DCMT but has them as DCMW 2-1.5-1. I have been using this insert for the past 5 or 6 years and have 10 or more of them now . The last time I ordered them was just a little or a year ago.
Call and ask for DCMW insert for the size you need.
Chet

I bought one of each of his holders and a pile of inserts. The threading tool cuts like buttah with vipers venom

Carbide tooling for barrel contouring , especially on a small lathe would not be my choice. True that carbide tooling offers the best wear resistance, but vibration is its worst enemy. Long, flimsy, barrels do vibrate some regardless the setup. My first choice would be High Speed Cobalt HSSCo, in insert form if you want easy interchangeability, or, hand ground to have good chipbreaking design and sharp cutting edge for less pushoff
and least heat buildup.

The main thing to be aware of in barrel contouring is any cutting motion that would build up stresses in the barrel, so, make sure you have a cutting edge that cuts with minimum stress.

+ 1

I wouldn't trade my Kennametal threading tools for anything!!! I cant see how anything would or could be any better. Except for maybe the price! Lee

I wouldn't trade my Kennametal threading tools for anything!!! I cant see how anything would or could be any better. Except for maybe the price! Lee

So you have not tried Arthur Warner HSS inserts? Lee, I don't see how anything is faster than my VW Beetle.

I posted this years ago and I still pretty much use the same tooling as I haven't found any better and I do own a bunch of Warner tooling: http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?68419-Cone-Breech-and-Crown-Cutting-Tools

I use a Warner toolholder (shown below) dedicated for 45° chamfering of tenons and counterbores (this is my general purpose go to tool for chamfering) but the carbide I list works better for me than the rest of the Warner as far as barrel work goes.

The only tooling I'd add to the above listed tooling is a couple of Micro 100 mini boring bars for pre-boring small chambers and boring muzzle brakes where the 1/4" Circle bar is too large.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 6.37.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 6.37.11 PM.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 171
I have had reasonable success with brazed tip tools which I grind to shape but I find that cobalt steel works better for contouring. Regards, Bill

I tried the AW HSS threadding tool but went back to using Carmex carbide inserts. I personally found a better finish with the Carmex. I now use the same inserts in the turning center that I used on the manual.

I'll thread at 1500+ rpm but I'd send a barrel back to the manufacturer for a recontour.

Last edited:
Back