Carbide Boring Bars On eBay?

I did not order it.

I have some decent quality steel boring bars with carbide inserts from 3/8" shank up to 3/4". Will the steel shafted bars work OK? won't be taking very much off, so I don't see why they won't work.

DSM the bar you originally listed is the bar that I use. It works fine and a few inserts should last you a long time if all you are doing is skim boring. Pick an insert with a .005-.015 Radius.

I did not order it.

I have some decent quality steel boring bars with carbide inserts from 3/8" shank up to 3/4". Will the steel shafted bars work OK? won't be taking very much off, so I don't see why they won't work.

The one you have in the 3/8 shank will work if it will go in a 3/8 hole. On a PPC case you can drill to within about 1/8 of the shoulder with a 13/32 (0.406) drill since the PPC chamber is about 0.430/0.432 at the shoulder and about 0.440/0.442 at the base depending on which reamer you use (JGS1045, Pure Magic, Kiff/Yvette-gunfighter, etc). So you will inly be taking about 0.005/side on the first cut and going about 7/8" deep. Then take another 0.005/side cut and go about 5/8 deep. Then you are ready to ream.

Or you can set the compound to the body angle of a PPC case and bore parallel to the case body. Doing it this way is a pain and doesn't get any better results than just step boring. All you are doing in either method is just removing some metal but mainly truing up the case body hole for the reamer to run true and have less to cut.

That makes sense Jerry. My original intent was to try and set the compound to taper close to the shoulder, but step boring makes sense. I plan on chambering Dashers since that's all I've been shooting right now. My PTG and Henriksen reamers are. 460x at the shoulder. Would you suggest using a 29/64"(.4531") or 7/16"(.4375) to drill just shy of the shoulder?

Here's a link to some Circle Machine F boring bars that Enco is closing out.

Circle Machine F boring bars

The boring bar that I've used for years is item #RC405-0964 with insert #RC405-0967. The inserts are about 1/2 price of their normal non sale pricing. I'm not sure what has happened to Circle Machine, but heard that they were bought out by Kennametal. By the way, there is a difference between the carbide boring bar and the steel boring bar of the same size. The carbide bar is supposed to be 4 times stiffer which is good when you're boring out longer holes than you probably should with a 1/4" diameter boring bar.

I really like my Arthur R Warner HSS insert, boring bar. Im pretty sure its a 1/4" bar. Works great for truing up a PPC chamber before reaming. Lee

Skeet...AR Warner does make some nice stuff. Convienient thing is, they are 10-15 min down the road from me. Nice helpful people too!

MSC has the small cabide bars on sale also I just ordered a new 3/8 with ten inserts (cheaper than just buying 10 inserts) I noticed they are marked "Hertel" now instead of Circle. You can get 3/16, 1/4 and up and they are all around $190 with ten inserts.

Back