Candidate gunsmithing student

S

skeptic

I am applying to the gunsmith program in Tishomingo, Ok. I have visited and was impressed.

Any suggestions from graduates or experienced gunsmiths would be appreciated. Suggestions on applying, books to read and first projects would be very helpful.

It would help to be a master machinist first.

Get a job as an apprentice machinist.

What I am trying to say is that most great gunsmiths were master machinist first and or were trained by one.

Basic machining skills is all one would need to start doing Gunwork. You do not have to know everything a master machinist knows to chamber and thread barrels. A lot of riflesmiths are self taught and they focus on barreling rifles and don't need other machinist skills like so many think. I know machinists that have no idea how to rebarrel rifles. I would take the school. Any thing you can gain from will sure help you.

Things to consider first
Local schools for
lathe
mill
and business classes

Decide if you are going to be a rifle smith, a pistol smith
or a jack of all trades

1997 Graduate

I attended the 2 year program at MSC fall 1995 to spring of 1997. It the course hasn't changed, they will teach you to use a milling machine to make and modify parts and a lathe (Southbend Heave 10) - chamber barrels and fit them to an action. Plus multiple other skills you need to custom build a rifle.
You will also learn many of the other gunsmithing skills, too. It would be nice to have some machine shop experience... Bottom line: you either have the aptitude or you don't.

When I was there John Bohon and Dean Arnold were the primary instructors. I think Dean retired a few years back, but the last I heard - John was still there. I enjoyed the program and I still do my own gun work. (I do this as a hobby.)

Pete

Back