can you tell what trigger this is, and how to adjust it....

herbeapuce

Hi.

this trigger is on a Remington 700 action in 6mm ppc . I got the gun second hand and I have no clue what the trigger is...

Could you tell what is the make and model ?

what I really want to know is how to adjust it. right now it's a bit lite to my taste and I would like it a littler heavier.

thank you
stef

I do not.

I have some triggers, none like that.

But you are on the one board on the whole innertube where real BR guys live.

There ARE people here who know if'n we can just rouse 'em.

Reveille in the SWAMP!!!! Rise 'N Shine!

from not much of a 6ppc short range br shooter.

its a new gun to you, and how it is intended to be shot, is with a very lite trigger.

may i suggest you learn the gun, instead of changing it.

see if you can find a local br shooter to show you how it is done.

I understand on a benchpress rifle , the trigger has to be extremely lite.....

but tonight while playing with the bolt back and forth a few times , empty chamber of course, the gun went click....

yes I probably just touched the side of the trigger without knowing...without feeling it... still since I'm not competing, I rather get used to the rifle, and they maybe once I'm good enough, bring the trigger back to Crazy lite....

just give me a few months.....

better be safe than sorry....I will learn in time to use a lite trigger...

Stef.

Per Stuart Otteson's excellent book 'Benchrest Actions and Triggers', the spring for the third lever (last image...spring hooks around both side plates) is a dead ringer for the factory Remington 2 oz setup.

The Saunders 3 lever conversions used this same spring setup.

Printed in 1983, the info is somewhat dated but still invaluable, especially for someone with an older BR gun. It's still available as a reprint.

Hope this helps. -Al

As Al Nyhus stated w/ an exception-

The pictures do not depict an original Rem 2oz 3 lever trigger group, as there is no way to re-install a bolt release on a Rem 2oz 3 lever trigger group.
( the pin hole(safety & bolt release lever) is enlarged to witness sear engagement on an original 2oz Rem trigger group)

Rem trigger group adjustment procedures on Quarterbore.com are dangerous to say the least.

Last edited:

The pictures do not depict an original Rem 2oz 3 lever trigger group, as there is no way to re-install a bolt release on a Rem 2oz 3 lever trigger group.
( the pin hole(safety & bolt release lever) is enlarged to witness sear engagement on an original 2oz Rem trigger group)

Rem trigger group adjustment procedures on Quarterbore.com are dangerous to say the least.

OK thank you for the info.
( I haven't tried anything yet...)
stef.

This is just a guess, but it could possibly be a Remington factory trigger reworked to a 2 ounce trigger by a Texan named Burns. The late Mr. Burns converted a large number of Remington triggers back in the 1970's. Good shooting....James

James, the Burns trigger pictured in Otteson's book doesn't have the same third lever spring. But hey...lots of guys were likely tweaking and converting these triggers back then...so who knows? :confused: ;) -Al

James, the Burns trigger pictured in Otteson's book doesn't have the same third lever spring. But hey...lots of guys were likely tweaking and converting these triggers back then...so who knows? :confused: ;) -Al

I'm sure Otteson's book led to lots of guys converting their own 700 triggers. I did a couple for myself. That pretty well ended when Arnold Jewell came out with his trigger. The Shilen 2 ounce trigger was listed in Otteson's book and is still produced today and is a very good low pull weight trigger.

I've had quite a few 700's come into my shop where someone would back off the weight of pull screw until the spring was no longer under compression. It makes for a very dangerous trigger, but it's because of user error as a compression spring has to have some compression on it for it to work. When it's loose, it doesn't do anything. I've also seen them so gunked up that they wouldn't work either and the only way to get them to work was to take the trigger apart and scrape and clean off all the accumulated varnish over all the pieces. A trigger is like anything mechanical in that it has to be maintained and kept clean. Squirting the trigger down with WD-40 isn't maintaining the trigger contrary to what a lot of guys think and is probably why so many of those triggers get to where they don't work.

I'm sure Otteson's book led to lots of guys converting their own 700 triggers. I did a couple for myself. That pretty well ended when Arnold Jewell came out with his trigger. The Shilen 2 ounce trigger was listed in Otteson's book and is still produced today and is a very good low pull weight trigger.

Yes, Shilen makes nice triggers. :) -Al

Back