Can anybody recommend a good "accurizing 101" source?

HHaase

I know it's probably a dumb question, but can anybody suggest a good starting point for somebody that is somewhat handy and wants to start working on accurizing a rifle for benchrest shooting? Anybody have a favorite website or youtube channel, and I'm definitely not against buying some books or getting subscriptions. I'm just having trouble filtering out the obvious advertising and AR platform info to get to the useful stuff.

I know that I eventually want to acquire a much more accurate rifle, but I want to learn the fundamentals first. I have an older Remington 700 that I'd like to do some basic work on, so that when I do start properly shopping for a higher end rifle I know better what I want, and how to not ruin the thing.

-Hans

Don't bother building. It's a waste of time. And money. The guy that helped me out said "always buy the best you can afford. So you don't buy twice".
The average BR shooter has about 10 yrs left in him. Most are over 55 yrs old. Mortgage and kids college paid for. It's better to have a wife that don't care what you are doing. So many people don't show up to shoot becasue of the wives. Heck, bring her along. Get the wife a rifle. But, don't get upset that she will be a better shooter.
Call Bob White at Shooters Corner. Buy a used LV 6PPC. Bob is a great guy and will help you. Then call/email with a person off the NBRSA Mentor site. All great people across the fruited plain...
Hope that helps. Tony's book is good. And Mike Ratigan has a really good book. About the whole game.

I appreciate the sentiment, but the technical aspect of building and tweaking is one of the big draws for me, almost as much as the shooting side. I totally get that it's a fools errand, and won't win me any competitions. But I enjoy the hell out of tinkering and learning, so it's still something I'd like to pursue.

yes but it aint like that. for the most part it is all built correctly the first time...no production rifles 'tuned up".
on the other side see if your local club does club br. then you could do as you say, but it will all be lost money.i have built ar's for br both 308 and 223..the 308 shot better than the 223. they look like ars, but that was all.

I appreciate the sentiment, but the technical aspect of building and tweaking is one of the big draws for me, almost as much as the shooting side. I totally get that it's a fools errand, and won't win me any competitions. But I enjoy the hell out of tinkering and learning, so it's still something I'd like to pursue.
Oh. Okay I get it. I like to find the problems. Tear apart machines and all that.
Ok Rifle first. Then start making youur own bullets. Get with someone on the mentor list.

I suggest you read Tony Boyer's and Mike Ratigan's books, as well as reading the Accurate shooter and Benchrest Central forums daily.
Go to and observe and ask questions at some benchrest matches.

You can learn on the Rem 700, but if you want to be competitive, you will need a bench rest action like a Bat or Borden, a good barrel like a Krieger or Bartlien, a good reamer for a 6PPC, and a benchrest stock that is properly bedded. Or, as has been suggested, buy a used benchrest gun.

After you have the gun, the most important part is learning how to read the windflags. This is where a good mentor will help. and Practice, Practice, Practice, in the wind, with flags.

Reloading I am already comfortable with, particularly with having some oddball calibers that I already shoot.

I understand that itch. ML McPherson's "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" isn't bad, especially if you don't have machine tools. If you have tools, Hinant's rifle chambering book, Gordy Gritter's chambering video (from Grizzly machine), and "Centrefire Rifle Accuracy" by William Hambley Clark are all worth the entrance fee, in addition to the previously mentioned (BR specific) books by Ratigan and Boyer.

AGI had a number of videos on accurizing the '700. They're pretty good, but if you follow those, you'll end up with a trued up '700 that shoots about 80% as well as a modern BR action for only twice the price, with a resale value approaching the cost of a new '700... But I get it, sometimes you just have to try, for the sake of trying.

I know of no complete, or even near complete single source, but those are a good start.

HTH,

GsT

Hello HHaase

You will have to ignore some members of this forum because they just never learned how to behave themselves.

Welcome aboard.

Accuracy is a personal quest and you can do it however you like and take it to whatever level you like.

This post has some good information:

I understand that itch. ML McPherson's "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" isn't bad, especially if you don't have machine tools. If you have tools, Hinant's rifle chambering book, Gordy Gritter's chambering video (from Grizzly machine), and "Centrefire Rifle Accuracy" by William Hambley Clark are all worth the entrance fee, in addition to the previously mentioned (BR specific) books by Ratigan and Boyer.

AGI had a number of videos on accurizing the '700. They're pretty good, but if you follow those, you'll end up with a trued up '700 that shoots about 80% as well as a modern BR action for only twice the price, with a resale value approaching the cost of a new '700... But I get it, sometimes you just have to try, for the sake of trying.

I know of no complete, or even near complete single source, but those are a good start.

HTH,

GsT

Go to some matches and ask around for anyone that may be willing to help you. You might be suprised and find a mentor.

Hello HHaase

You will have to ignore some members of this forum because they just never learned how to behave themselves.

Welcome aboard.

Accuracy is a personal quest and you can do it however you like and take it to whatever level you like.

This post has some good information:

Go to some matches and ask around for anyone that may be willing to help you. You might be suprised and find a mentor.
and to be clear, how many national championships have you won...????

without being rude, i am guessing you do not have a clue what we go thru

Unfortunately, you've managed to be nothing but rude and condescending. I came here as an admitted beginner, and asked a simple question about where I can find some information. I'm not sure what I've done here to offend your awfully thin skin, but would you kindly take yourself out of this conversation?

Hi Hans. Where are you located? I reread your original post. One of our friends is Vera Carter. She has a web site. Precision Shooting. I have not been there is a few mos. But, It's a very well done site. By the way. Vera is a Nuke Engineer in Canada. Very smart lady. George and Vera have been shooting together a long time.
Again. Visit some ranges. And talk to some folks. If in US Most states have a list of firearms ranges on their DNR web site.
You will be surprised by the list. Monroe County, MI there are 12 clubs. That is a lot. Most by the Ohio border. Someone told me Ohioians make up a good part of membership.
By the way. 99% of clubs are open to everyone during competition.
How not to ruin the thing? Most folks don't know to put a little grease in the locking lugs of the bolt. It's amazing.
Remember the mentor list on NBRSA site. Most info is verbal. So take good notes.

Hi Hans. Where are you located? I reread your original post. One of our friends is Vera Carter. She has a web site. Precision Shooting. I have not been there is a few mos. But, It's a very well done site. By the way. Vera is a Nuke Engineer in Canada. Very smart lady. George and Vera have been shooting together a long time.
Again. Visit some ranges. And talk to some folks. If in US Most states have a list of firearms ranges on their DNR web site.
You will be surprised by the list. Monroe County, MI there are 12 clubs. That is a lot. Most by the Ohio border. Someone told me Ohioians make up a good part of membership.
By the way. 99% of clubs are open to everyone during competition.
How not to ruin the thing? Most folks don't know to put a little grease in the locking lugs of the bolt. It's amazing.
Remember the mentor list on NBRSA site. Most info is verbal. So take good notes.

I'm in Sioux Falls, S.D., and have been speaking with Al Nyus, as the range he helps to run is only about 5 minutes from my house. So I'm hoping that will work out for me, as it's a benchrest club and there should be some shooters I can link up with for more specific learning. It's also a private facility, so a bit more quiet. The other ranges I've been going to lately aren't too bad, but they're busy and the closest one is 45 minutes away. It's hard to focus when you have brass hitting you in the head from the next lane.

There's a lot of good info in this thread, so I'm going to roll back through and start to digest it.

al will be a good source.
your offended, but i have been there, and it is amazing the difference between "reloading" and "loading for bench rest competition"

I'm in Sioux Falls, S.D., and have been speaking with Al Nyus, as the range he helps to run is only about 5 minutes from my house. So I'm hoping that will work out for me, as it's a benchrest club and there should be some shooters I can link up with for more specific learning. It's also a private facility, so a bit more quiet. The other ranges I've been going to lately aren't too bad, but they're busy and the closest one is 45 minutes away. It's hard to focus when you have brass hitting you in the head from the next lane.

There's a lot of good info in this thread, so I'm going to roll back through and start to digest it.

Wow. OK. Can't get no better.....

Gordy Gritters has books and CD's for sale. He also runs schools in Florida and will travel to give private instruction. Great guy and know his stuff.

Gordy Gritters has books and CD's for sale. He also runs schools in Florida and will travel to give private instruction. Great guy and know his stuff.
I prefer books, but in this case I would not recommend Gordy's (chambering) book. I thought it had a lot of gaps and just wasn't very well written. In that particular case his chambering video is much better.

GsT

Back