Cabinets for the Reloader's garage

Having been on this planet for more than 38 years has given me the opportunity to know something. Five minutes or less with BATF in your basement is all it takes to know that you must use plywood for the construction of cabinets that house powder and/or primers. This is learned from BATF and your insurance carrier. But then, I thought I said something to that affect earlier minus the seniority thing.
lngrng reminds me of Dick Heisen. Any relation?

Francis,
I'm not related to Dick Heisen at all.............he is from the East Coast, I am from the West Coast. I was simply attempting to offer some suggestions to the original poster who asked for recommendations to meet his needs. I provided my recommendations, you countered, and I simply replied with my reasons for providing my recommendations, and provided published statistics.
You can argue your case 'till the cows come home, but facts are facts...........Melamine board is the accepted standard for residential and commercial cabinetry, and this is outlined by the most respected provider of quality standards in the industry.

If plywood cabinets are in the original poster's budget, then he should definitely go that route, but he should then follow the sound advice of Joe Maisto, and not you, and should know that all plywood is not equal. To re-enforce Joe's claim, multiple plies add far more strength and longevity than lesser numbers of ply.

Hope your cornflakes don't taste too salty, and I hope that your bunched-up panties don't result in too much discomfort..............have a nice life!

??????? Habitat for Humanity?????

Whats up with buying things from them?
Are they selling the items that were donated for building houses for the poor?

Or is this stuff that has been torn out of a remodel? :confused:

You can also call some of your local cabinet makers.
If you will work within their schedule they will probably give you cabinets that have to remove during a remodel for free just they dont have to load and haul them away.

If not them call some of the local remodeling contractors but some of them get greedy if they think they can make a buck.

vern;
That organization has many things donated to them for a variety of reasons, and you can buy whatever you need to furnish a home...used of course. There is another here called "Hobo". Same thing. Refrigerators, stoves, beds, cabs, sinks, ete: All for dirt cheap too. You are quite right in one respect. That is...much of the lumber and such is retrieved from buildings that are being torn down, remodeled, etc. A mill shop closed their doors a few years ago and all the moudings that were turned out on a "sticker" were to be had for a song. New stuff mind you. I didn't know what to grab first !

Whats up with buying things from them?
Are they selling the items that were donated for building houses for the poor?

Or is this stuff that has been torn out of a remodel? :confused:

Vern, we've got a Habitat For Humanity retail outlet here. All sorts of things come in...left over new materials from projects, nice tear out items from remodels, etc. Construction companies often donate left over materials. You never know what you might find there. These items are sold to the public and the funds used to help defray costs for new HFH home builds.

It's a great way to recycle while helping a good cause. -Al

while not in the garage i did take over a spare bedroom, Well the Mfs. did get the other half.

I used prefinished maple for the carcase, adjustable shelves in the uppers, pull outs for the lowers all with 100 Lb accuride guides. solid surface top.

I have my horizontal bullet press mounted on the right side.

DSC00739.jpg

8e7b4145.jpg

47510f74.jpg

The lower pullouts have my dies in them.

30922188.jpg

ML

Francis,

BATF probably does not have storage requirements of their own. The agent was giving you partial information from Chapter 14 of National Fire Protection Association regulation 495 (NFPA 495), the Explosives Safety Code.

For personal use, you are allowed to store up to 20 pounds of powder in original manufacturer's containers with no special storage requirements and up to 50 pounds in a wooden cabinet of nominal 1 inch wood construction. Lock shall be at least a 5 tumbler padlock, hardened 3/8 inch shackle, no shroud required.

You can store up to 10,000 primers or up to 150,000 if in DOT 1.4s containers. The cardboard boxes that retailers ship to us are most likely 1.4s. If you have an FFL and are considered a commercial establishment, you can store larger quantities of powder, but may need a magazine (also defined in NFPA 495, Chapter 9).

If you have a fire and have ignored the NFPA code, the insurance company will, I'm sure, not honor the policy. Your local Fire Marshal may be able to give you more information.

Mike

I'm just an old wood butcher, but I was fortunate enough to acquire an unused portable x-ray table originally designated for a MASH unit, then delegated to Civil Defense and then to me. The top was constructed of 1/4" Micarta which I incorporated in the top of both my reloading and casting benches. It seems to be impervious to all solvents and casting heat as well. My shop bench is a slice of old bowling alley which is built hell for stout.

Back