Bump shoulder with Redding 30BR Body Die for 6 BR

danyboy

I got a Custom made 6BR Lee Collet die but no BodyDie for this caliber. Since I already have a Redding 30BR Body Die could I use it to bump the shoulder of my 6BR brass ?

I got a Custom made 6BR Lee Collet die but no BodyDie for this caliber. Since I already have a Redding 30BR Body Die could I use it to bump the shoulder of my 6BR brass ?

That big hole in the 30br die leaves quite a bit of shoulder untouched. Depending how hot you're loading, you might get by with it for a little while but ultimately, you'll need a 6br die.

I've never got it to work and I have all sizes and brands both bushing style and fixed and I can't see any gain whatsoever from running a 6BR case into any form of 30BR. ALL you can do is roll the shoulder down too far, you'll never touch the n/s junction. I've tried this with bushing dies also and unless you've a lathe and can make a specifically tapered bushing, in effect a shoulder/neck bushing ALA Neil Jones I see nothing but heartache

Yes. Be careful not to bump the shoulder back too far, though.
I was thinking of bumping the shoulder back .0015-.002" , and check the accuracy. Some benchrest competitor I met says he bumps .004" and I can see his accurate results but I'm not sure I can trust his word.

That big hole in the 30br die leaves quite a bit of shoulder untouched. Depending how hot you're loading, you might get by with it for a little while but ultimately, you'll need a 6br die.

This ^^^^^

Grab a Redding 6BR Body Die or better yet.....a Redding 22BR body die with the neck opening opened up to .002-.004 over the diameter of the fired necks on your 6BR -Al

Last edited:
I was thinking of bumping the shoulder back .0015-.002" , and check the accuracy. Some benchrest competitor I met says he bumps .004" and I can see his accurate results but I'm not sure I can trust his word.

Bumping will not make it more accurate.

there are some good Youtubes

on this subject. Essentially, from what is said in them, the top shooters use a type S die and bump they shoulders back .003" as a standard practice. the Type S die is named for Speedy G who came up with the concept, according to him. From what I see, all the new innovation is coming from the long distance guys. They seem to all bump back .003". No tales of case separation are heard on they reports. The very latest is using mandrills to determine neck tension, .002" being reported as the most accurate in terms of groups and ES. Those lads live and die on the crono.

Pete

on this subject. Essentially, from what is said in them, the top shooters use a type S die and bump they shoulders back .003" as a standard practice. the Type S die is named for Speedy G who came up with the concept, according to him. From what I see, all the new innovation is coming from the long distance guys. They seem to all bump back .003". No tales of case separation are heard on they reports. The very latest is using mandrills to determine neck tension, .002" being reported as the most accurate in terms of groups and ES. Those lads live and die on the crono.

Pete

Pete, PetePete...... there ya's go listening to guys on the innernet again LOL!!!

The Type 'S' die IS NOT named after Speedy Gonzales, Redding came out with it 40yrs ago...... and recently they added a new feature, a full-length sizing die into their 'S' line (which is an abomination, but I digress)

The original Type 'S' die is/was simply an innovative "neck size only" die. No fooferaww, no stupid claims, just a solid neck bushing die WHICH DIDN'T/DOESN'T TOUCH THE BODY NOR THE SHOULDER and therefore was/is a great die. I send new reloaders to them all the time.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/o... precisely control case neck size and tension.

The Type 'S' die and concept is a good thing. With it cases can be fired 20 times with superior accuracy.

The new Type 'S' full length resizing die is just silly.

And note that the "Long Range Guys" all over the innertube shoot 1moa rifles that look all kewl and tac'y...... you find me a winning 1K BR guy who buys his Redding Type 'S' resizing die off the rack and I'll gladly stand corrected. And even then ya' gotta prove his gunsmith hain't reamed it out to his chamber.

And pushing back a shoulder 3 thou every time absolutely guarantees short caselife..... like casehead separation is 5-6 firings.

BAD juju, and a safety issue

Wellll

Pete, PetePete...... there ya's go listening to guys on the innernet again LOL!!!

The Type 'S' die IS NOT named after Speedy Gonzales, Redding came out with it 40yrs ago...... and recently they added a new feature, a full-length sizing die into their 'S' line (which is an abomination, but I digress)

The original Type 'S' die is/was simply an innovative "neck size only" die. No fooferaww, no stupid claims, just a solid neck bushing die WHICH DIDN'T/DOESN'T TOUCH THE BODY NOR THE SHOULDER and therefore was/is a great die. I send new reloaders to them all the time.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/o... precisely control case neck size and tension.

The Type 'S' die and concept is a good thing. With it cases can be fired 20 times with superior accuracy.

The new Type 'S' full length resizing die is just silly.

And note that the "Long Range Guys" all over the innertube shoot 1moa rifles that look all kewl and tac'y...... you find me a winning 1K BR guy who buys his Redding Type 'S' resizing die off the rack and I'll gladly stand corrected. And even then ya' gotta prove his gunsmith hain't reamed it out to his chamber.

And pushing back a shoulder 3 thou every time absolutely guarantees short caselife..... like casehead separation is 5-6 firings.

BAD juju, and a safety issue

You can watch Speedy say it with his own words in an interview with Eric Cortina on Youtube. The Horses Mouf.

Pete

Differing opinions and different ways to skin the cat. I too use Redding S full dies as a body die and a collet die for neck sizing for many cartridges. I once poo poo'd the idea of a collet die for neck sizing but years ago 4Mesh got me thinking and changed my mind. There's a guy that was a creative thinker and traveled his own path. Quite successful if I remember correctly.

I've been shooting

a 6 BR in the Varmint Hunter Class in IBS the past couple of seasons and I find it most pleasurable to shoot. 10 pound gun, 6 mm, what's not to like? I even won a couple of matches last year, one @ 300, so I think it is able all right. I bought a Horniday full length bushing die and trimmed the base sop that I can get a bump out of it in the beginning. After seeing the results of a couple vids on using mandrills for neck sizing I tried them. Had to make a 6mm cause I didn't want to spend if it wasn't gonna work. I like the results very much. being able to achieve exact OAL's is way easier using a mandrill to determine neck tension. The mandrill I made works the very best The feel of seating bullets is a pleasure. Murphy has been sitting on my shoulders all summer so I haven't won anything this year but that goes with it. The best golfers find murphy quite often. I highly recommend mandrills for deterring neck tension. Only adds one step to the case prep chores.

Pete

You can watch Speedy say it with his own words in an interview with Eric Cortina on Youtube. The Horses Mouf.

Pete

well that was kinda' embarrassing to watch......

on several levels

and no Pete, I don't know how to say this, but I'm not the one embarrassed

... 4Mesh ......

A man of many and great talents.

He sent me a composite photograph of his property which is still in my computers somewhere....... a photograph of like 5-600 acres of wooded hills which fill the screen and across which you panned your mouse wherein you cannot find the breaks. It's like setting and looking over 30-35 degrees of landscape

Ohh, and sorry Pete for not commenting directly on your mandrels idea. I quit with the mandrels 30yrs ago

mandrills I still enjoy, noisy though!

and proboscis monkeys

And Me thinking

Ohh, and sorry Pete for not commenting directly on your mandrels idea. I quit with the mandrels 30yrs ago

mandrills I still enjoy, noisy though!

and proboscis monkeys

I have been Against the Grain all these years! I got to tell ya Al, I like what I'm seeing. You do whatever floats your boat.

Pete

I have been Against the Grain all these years! I got to tell ya Al, I like what I'm seeing. You do whatever floats your boat.

Pete

I'm completely with you as regards "do what works for you" Pete!

AND I'm completely with you on going against the grain.

If mandrels are solving a problem for you, or making something more consistent for you or whatever..... "use them" is my mantra. I used to deal with a bad back. And most of my friends also...... we all tried everything and sometimes made stuff up.....with mixed success. And some stuff worked for some and not for others.....I'll never forget one of my buddies saying during an argument "I don't care if they cover me with molasses, roll me in feathers, send me out to dance widdershins at midnite and sleep on the ground to let the dogs lick me clean..... IF IT WORKS FOR ME then it's good!!"

Hunting season is fast upon us so I continually get the question "what's the BEST die or reloading press???" And my reply is "whichever one makes you happy"

And please note that I'm not and was never arguing with you about the mandrels per se, I was noting that the Redding 'S' die was designed to solve a problem that existed many years ago, and that it came from the benchrest community as do most all accuracy innovations and that IMO bring stuff from looser disciplines into the benchrest realm is kinda' getting the horse and cart mixed up. I didn't comment on the mandreling thread directly because I didn't want to in any way disagree.... if it's working well for you then BRAVO for passing it along :)

that is what a discussion forum is for, discussion

Back