Bullet Seating Depth

Scott,

Check the overall length of the bullets you are shooting before you seat them. Even match bullets are not all exactly the same length. If your seating die is touching the ogive only for seating, and the bullets vary slightly in length, you will see a difference in LOA measurement, which I have found means nothing on the target as it is usually so little. It the variations in the wind flags that cause the problems!!

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

Thanks for your input Steve. I do check the bullets from time to time and have noticed as .003 on some Bergers.
Darn those wind flags!

Reminds me of the sign on the wall at the headquarters of the last Bill Clinton campaign, "it's the economy stupid". In our case....."it's the wind flags stupid". 90% of all the goofy anal stuff we do means absolutely nothing if we miss that switch on the 4th flag. I'm not all that sure it means anything anyway.

Rick

Reminds me of the sign on the wall at the headquarters of the last Bill Clinton campaign, "it's the economy stupid". In our case....."it's the wind flags stupid". 90% of all the goofy anal stuff we do means absolutely nothing if we miss that switch on the 4th flag. I'm not all that sure it means anything anyway.

Rick

Speaking of wind and windflags, if you can find a small farm pond, say about 1 acre, go sit and watch the wind pattern on the water. In centerfire benchrest we normally use 3 or 4 flags for the first 100 yards and only 2 more in the second 100. Note the wind pattern on the pond, there can be much wind activity between the flags. That is why many rimfire shooters use as many as 10 windflags in just 50 yards.

Speaking of wind and windflags, if you can find a small farm pond, say about 1 acre, go sit and watch the wind pattern on the water. In centerfire benchrest we normally use 3 or 4 flags for the first 100 yards and only 2 more in the second 100. Note the wind pattern on the pond, there can be much wind activity between the flags. That is why many rimfire shooters use as many as 10 windflags in just 50 yards.

Good idea Jerry. I typically use 5 flags @ 100 and add another 3 for 200. I think I use more than anyone I shoot with. Sometimes even those aren't enough, but I haven't learned to deal with more. I could probably be convinced that some of the things benchrest shooters do to cases and such are important, but I believe pretty strongly that it's the shooters that get plenty of practice are the most consistent winners. This would say to me that they understand wind and bench manners.

Rick

Back