Bullet making 2.0

I've been at the bullet making again.
This is my second attempt as a lot of you know on my first outing. I didn't do so well
George Ulrich went above and beyond to straighten me out.
Literally straightened me out

These are the first few I made on my new dies from George.
This is with a practice barrel that's been set back twice

A little switchy winds today and heavy mirage.
I worked up seating depth on a different target.
I then shot 5 - 5 shot groups waiting 30 mins between groups.
I lost the tune on the 4th group from top left. Added a couple tenths and did a little better on the 5th
The bottom two rows are sighters

Thanks again Geroge

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 705
Last edited:
George is 100% first class! World class service, I would be totaly lost without his kind advise. He has been really service minded, fixing stuff that probably didn't need fixing..

I have dies from five different makers, and I wouldnt hesitate buying another one from George!:D

Dies

I also ordered a 30 caliber die set wih Mr Ulrich a while back. Already made some 224 bullets with Blackmon dies too. They shoot really well(too bad they aren´t carbide.) I hope to start producing some 30 caliber bullets soon...:D

Question for the bullet makers
The Ulrich dies I have and using j4 jackets and hood 44.7 gr Cores make a 67.5 gr bt
depending on how the point up die is adjusted I can make a bullet that measures
From base to ogive .265 the point is really closed up here almost a little stove pipe trying to start
Backing the die out I can make a bullet that just will eject reliable it has a larger hole in the point and measures .281 from base to ogive. The overl length does not change and is at .858 to .860
I tested the .265 bullets last week they shot well. One day this week I will test the longer bearing surface.

Now the question will you bullet makers out there expect to see much difference ?
Will the really closed up point and shorter b-o tend to shoot better then the more open point
with the longer b-o ?

Last edited:
Doesn't matter....just make your bullets such that they all eject easily. If you don't believe this statement, take a couple of regular bullets and a couple of bullets with the point mashed badly with pliers and shoot a group.

+1 with what Wilbur says.
It's a whole lot easier to have a bullet eject properly. Keeps the frustration down.
Most people want to see a pretty point. It does not matter on paper....short range Benchrest.

If a bullet tries to go back in the point up die. Don't chase it.
I did that and the ram came up/handle fell and the punch stabbed my thumb. I had a perfect 6mm hole in my thumb nail....Yep. That hurts worse than after a surgery and the pain meds. are wearing off and the pills have not kicked in.....

Take them out and shoot em!

I'll go a little further with what I'm saying. All I know about bullet making is way old. We used to get jackets of varying quality and different jackets made different bullets - lookswise. Some jackets made absolutely beautiful looking bullets while others made not so beautiful looking bullets. Didn't matter what they looked like in terms of the agg they would, or could, shoot....either good or bad.

out to the club today.
200y. 3 "culled/junk/not so good bullets/set up bullets" against 3 68.7gn. Same load. Same hole.

I've been at the bullet making again.
This is my second attempt as a lot of you know on my first outing. I didn't do so well
George Ulrich went above and beyond to straighten me out.
Literally straightened me out

These are the first few I made on my new dies from George.
This is with a practice barrel that's been set back twice

A little switchy winds today and heavy mirage.
I worked up seating depth on a different target.
I then shot 5 - 5 shot groups waiting 30 mins between groups.
I lost the tune on the 4th group from top left. Added a couple tenths and did a little better on the 5th
The bottom two rows are sighters

Thanks again Geroge
Tim, I do not get on boards much anymore I am glad all is working well. It wasn't so much of straightening you out as what you were working with when dies are straight it becomes a whole bunch easier. and for the record these were reworked from your old dies.

Attachments

• SAM_0073.JPG
    SAM_0073.JPG
    556.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Tim, I do not get on boards much anymore I am glad all is working well. It wasn't so much of straightening you out as what you were working with when dies are straight it becomes a whole bunch easier. and for the record these were reworked from your old dies.

bottom die???
Is that lead accumulation or a broke die......????

bottom die???
Is that lead accumulation or a broke die......????

that's where I turned body off insert, you have to throw off center slightly so your not rubbing carbide. It's easier to turn off then press out where something could crack. had I known I would have pushed the one out it was only held with Loctite....:eek:

Back