Built up edge problem

PEI Rob

Need help on this one guys. I managed to get some bue on the shoulder area and a copper penny wont remove it. There is enough bue to effect the finish quality of the shoulder so its got to go. Kiff had told me a couple of years ago to use a solid copper penny but it isnt working. I know I had sent back a reamer to get fixed and it had some bue at the neck mouth area and they took it off without charging me extra so it must have been fairly easy.

BUE is usually a result from too low of a speed. Kick your rpm's up a notch & use plenty of good cutting oil. It should come off as you cut.

BUE is usually a result from too low of a speed. Kick your rpm's up a notch & use plenty of good cutting oil. It should come off as you cut.

I ran into this problem and posted about it a while back. I discovered I had not been using the correct cutting oil, went to "Ridgid" and the problem went away. I will also agree on the speed quote above.
Jim

I have been using Cromac (Brampton ON) oil, currently 1054 and I have never seen build up on a reamer.

Well I'm going to get different oil but I haven't done a 50bmg for awhile and couldn't remember if I lowered the speed due to the larger diameter or not so I did.
I drill and prebore so the material removed is much less and a lot easier. However, this lowers cutting pressure and perhaps increases feed rate by stupidity. In the end I screwed up. I called Hugh and he told me to try my translucent Arkansas stone, carefully of course but not on the cutting edge of the diameter, just the large flat.

Last edited:
I ran into this problem and posted about it a while back. I discovered I had not been using the correct cutting oil, went to "Ridgid" and the problem went away. I will also agree on the speed quote above.
Jim

If you will go to a building supply, like Lowes, or a plumbing supply and buy Rigid Extreme Peformance Oil, formulated for stainless you will get the best results. You are reaming Stainless Steel, remember.

Last edited:
I went back to it the other day and noted that I did increase my rpm to 160 already. Slower feed solved some of the bue issue but the barrel steel is terrible. Even taking 10 thou resulted in the odd bue particle on a perfect reamer, had to check every time I removed the reamer. I stopped when the finish was tolerable then I quickly polished it with 0000 steel wool. After fitting the action I flipped it to thread the brake. Well did I get a surprise, 1x14tpi third cut in, 5 thou deep, and my Kennametal insert snapped off. WTF? Switched to hss and went a little further then went back to the inserts without further issue. Glad this one is over. Couldn't find any Ridgid extreme performance local but can order it no problem.

$66.11 for the gallon jug, tax inc. Hardware store ordered it in and didn't have to charge extra for shipping. Good thing.

Last edited:
Just did a 308 with the new oil. It is at least as good as what I was using but I think it is a little better. It does seem more harsh on my skin though.

Haven't been around here in two years, busy having fun I guess.

So shortly after this original post two years ago I had another episode of BUE, absolutely discouraging and it fought me the entire chamber. I blamed a combo of the reamer and barrel steel. The reamer was sent along with the barrel.

The guy wears it out this summer and sends me another barrel, same reamer. Wouldn't you know it, by far the easiest chamber I ever did. Cut like a dream. Same prebore, same cutting fluid, same everything except the barrel.

Back