Buffer motor

Rflshootr

I'm looking at buying a buffer. More specifically a Baldor 3/4 h.p. Looks like I have a choice of 1800 or 3600 rpm's. I'm kind of thinking the 1800 would be best but could use some feedback. Thanks

Dusty I called Baldor & they told me the max recommended wheel diameter is 8". Think I should go with the 1800 or the 3600?

1800 rpm's is the way to go with an 8"-10" wheels. You will find 3600 to be too fast. If you go with Baldor I think you will find the 1 hp 1800 rpm model the ideal unit. I don't think Baldor offers a 3/4 hp 1800 rpm buffer, but I am not positive.

Actual buffer motors have much longer shafts and turn slow. I think I would look for a 3HP motor as buffing can really lug a motor.

Actual buffer motors have much longer shafts and turn slow. I think I would look for a 3HP motor as buffing can really lug a motor.

I would think that in a small gun shop a 3hp buffer would be overkill. We have been using Baldor 1hp 1800 rpm buffers for many years with complete satisfaction. Baldor makes a good product so maybe that's why we have been satisfied.

I know a fellar that bought a new Baldor 3600rpm buffer, it turns so fast he can't keep rouge on the wheel. He's kicking his self in the @$$ for not buying the 1800rpm motor.

I would think that in a small gun shop a 3hp buffer would be overkill. We have been using Baldor 1hp 1800 rpm buffers for many years with complete satisfaction. Baldor makes a good product so maybe that's why we have been satisfied.

Martin,
If you had the opportunity to use the one I suggested, you would love it. I guess if you are doing little bitty parts it doesn't matter.

As with anything it comes down to surface speeds. 1800 on a larger wheel or 3500 on a smaller wheel to get the same surface speeds. Do you actually mean 1725 and 3450 for speeds? I had a buffer once that ran at a funny speed, 1100, it always ran very hot. It never died and always worked, came from Caswell. Apparently 3450 motors take less wire to wind so they are cheaper but I think you will find 1725 the best.

Martin,
If you had the opportunity to use the one I suggested, you would love it. I guess if you are doing little bitty parts it doesn't matter.

Butch,
You might be right! The largest things we buff in our shop are barrels and actions using 150-600 grit. As I said earlier we've always been satisfied with the results but as the saying goes " ignorance is bliss".

A 1hp bogs down too quick with rougher compounds

It sounds like maybe we are talking about different types of buffing compounds and wheels. The two coarse wheels we use are stitched using 150&300 grit. We apply this in paste form to the wheel by hand and allow it to dry. In effect what we end up with is a soft grinding wheel. This process requires a little skill as you can wash out screw holes an put flats where you don't want them. Little effort is required. From 400 on up we use loose muslin wheels an that is where the 1hp motor starts to work a little. I learned this process (pa. gunsmith school) nearly sixty years ago so maybe I am some what behind the times!

Sounds like you know way more than I do. I use all different wheels and use the bricks of compound melted on there at speed. I do wish i could learn from a master so i didnt wash out engraving and such.

I get the heeby-jeebies just thinking about guns + buffers; it should be illegal for some guys to own one (a buffer)! ;-)
F1

Back