Brunos Shooter Supply now owns Sinclair Int...????

Sinclair International now is owned by Brownells. Brownells bought them some time ago. I had a long talk with Geoff Easterline at the SS about it. Geoff is some of the top management and was moved from Indiana to Iowa about a year ago or so. Most of the SI inventory is being moved and many of the operators are working from home while the transition is taking place.

Midway is a great place ro buy from. Quick service, good prices and they use the USPS flat rate boxes. Bruno's has always been good also.

Don Carper

I didn't order any cleaning rods. I tried to place a order with 4 or 5 items & they were out of most of it. They were going to ship what they hod & ever time something came in they would ship it with another 15 dollar shipping charge. Most places I deal with charge one time.
Max

I didn't order any cleaning rods. I tried to place a order with 4 or 5 items & they were out of most of it. They were going to ship what they hod & ever time something came in they would ship it with another 15 dollar shipping charge. Most places I deal with charge one time.
Max

Shipping of cleaning rods is aways an expensive proposition,generally anything oversize or heavy will cost a premium for shipping. Some businesses have special flat rate shipping charges this is generally a good deal on items like cleaning rods but you pay a little more on regular orders. I see Bruno's criticized a lot here for high shipping charges. Perhaps some of this is justified but people tend to forget he frequently has the merchandise you want and at competitive prices for the actual merchandise. Making a good portion of your profit on delivery and shipping charges comes with the program with these type businesses.
I shop many places online that offer free shipping this tends to ruin you for places that charge shipping but you must remember BR shooting supplies is a big business to us shooters but it is a practically nonexistent industry to mainstream companies which means you are gonna have to bear the brunt of the shipping and handling charges. Handling is more than a few cents, packing supplies cost money, as does the person to pull and pack the merchandise. My ex poss at a large camera store said it cost at least 10% JUST to handle a piece of merchandise in and out of our store.

Dick

Last edited:
Interesting to see all the different experiences. I have bought thousands of dollars of stuff from Midway in the past dozen years and never had a problem, overcharge or exorbitant shipping charge on any order. They have been great for me. Lately, I buy what I can from Powder Valley or Ron Hoehn and the rest from Midway, MidSouth, Natchez, Graf, Sinclair, or whoever has it when I need it. Overall, I think we are fortunate to have so many choices. In my rural area of Vermont the local dealers carry just about nothing of use to competitive shooters. I once made up a computer list of the items I use most when loading and shooting and gave it to my local shop. I told him that if he would carry the stuff, I would be happy to buy from him instead of online. He took a glance at my list, handed it back to me, and commented, "Nah, there's no interest around here in reloading".

I am more concerned about the shipping and "hazmat" charges than the suppliers' prices. The UPS guy who delivers to me makes more a week than my SSI monthly check.

Max

I feel as you do about shipping, handling and such. When I mail my products, there is no handling charge. Furthermore, I use USPS because it's costs a great deal less than the others, thereby passing the savings onto the buyer. Futhermore, I only charge what it actually costs me, ( in addition to taking the time to drive to the post office and mail it)

I've always heard a good businessman has to have a bit of larceny in his heart to make any money, but i've never been able to go there.

I dont mind paying a little extra for the benchrest items Dick was speaking of. What i dont like is the hidden expenses. I think it would be better business to have all costs included in the price from the get go. This way there isnt any shock, or wondering what the deal is, after the order has been placed. Up front and direct is always a better approach. If am item cost 100$ and there is a 12$ handling fee, then just advertise the item for 112$ Plus shipping. These retailers want to have the lowest listed price of the competitors on there web sites, but if there is hidden fees applied, then maybe it isnt as cheap as the next guys price?? It almost feels like they think we are a bunch of dummies. Just my take on the hole thing. I know my take isnt worth much, but its still mine. I dont mind paying a little extra for an item thats in stock, that would otherwise taken me 6 months of wait time to get. Just tell me what its going to cost up front, so i can make up my mind if that particular item is worth the wait, or the extra expense. I like Lester Bruno, and the crew there. They have always been real helpful. I am just speaking in general here. Lee

Back