Browning A-bolt target rifles?

Doing a little searching on the 'net I read someone say that the Browning actions aren't as strong as some others.

Of course, I also read where someone said that the Savage target action (closed top strap) isn't any stronger than the standard action (open top strap) ?!?!

Take it with a grain of salt, I guess..

Questions about Browning Target Rifle

If it is built on a A Bolt or X bolt action does that mean it is Investment Cast then machined?

Or are they going to be made in SC at the FN plant like the new Winchesters?

Are they coming with a after market adjustable trigger?

Nat Lambeth

Following is description from Browning website, and yes they come with a single-set trigger and chambered in .223 Remington, .308 Winchester, and .300WSM:

Description: Receiver - Stainless steel • Matte finish • Glass bedded • Drilled and tapped for scope mounts
Barrel - Heavy bull contour • Stainless steel • Matte finish • Free floating • Hand chambered • Target crown
Action - Bolt-action • 60º bolt lift • Non-rotating bolt sleeve • Single-set trigger • Detachable box magazine • Hinged floorplate • Top-tang safety
Stock - Satin finish gray laminate wood • Target style with wide, flat fore-end • Adjustable comb • Right-hand palm swell • Checkered
Features - Front sling swivel installed • Recoil pad • Scope and mounts not included

Although chambering are limited, traditional quality of product, and being available with a good trigger I would think would make this appealing to some.

Old Cob

.223 is 8tw.
308 is 10tw.

Next step up in a factory rifle, is a Kimber 84 tactical with McMillan stock at $1800 for fixed, and $2200 for adjustable A5.

Browning looks cleverly marketed at $1200 or so for blued, and another $100-200 for the stainless.

I see them on Gunbroker quite a bit.

It does have a single set trigger. The whole trigger assembly looks like a thrown together conglomeration of metal till ya figger out exactly what it is. I didn't know it had a single set trigger till I took a look at it. Off the shelf, the trigger broke at a very disappointing 5lbs. 14oz. Adjusted down I was able to only get it to 3.0lbs. This was without tearing the trigger apart and doing any work on it.

By pushing the trigger forward, you put the trigger in the set position. I got this one I'm playing with to break pretty consistently at 5-6oz. The whole thing kinda gives you a double tap. The set trigger breaks and under spring pressure then pushes the sear forward to release the cocking piece. It all happens very fast but there is definitely nano second between the set trigger breaking and then the firing pin falling. This is dry firing it from my shop table. I doubt you would notice it while firing it but it may cause a touch of vibration or movement of the rifle between the set trigger breaking and actual locktime. The gun is a stud at 13lbs. so it may not. I didn't put it in my rest and rear bag and try it.

The down side is this gun has a $1400 price tag on it. You could build a gun yourself from the ground up based on a Savage target action and a good custom barrel complete with a great stock for less.

Back