Brownells Do-Drill as cutting oil

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I don't recall seeing it mentioned for threading or chambering.

I've tried quite a few things and this stuff just seems to work, exactly as Brownells claims. It's expensive but goes a long way. Doesn't stink. Leaves a nice finish.

I haven't tried lard oil but have used quite a few sulphurized and "water soluble" oils as well as cutting oils and tapping fluids like Re-Lion.

Like Calfee's lard oil, Do-Drill seems to "stay wet behind the flutes"......

comments?

al

I haven't used Do-Drill specifically, but I do use Tap Matic. I use sulfurized cutting oil up to the last .020" or so, then turn the rpms up a little more and finish with the Tap Matic. Like you say, nice finish.

Brian, you're probably right, going from memory. And I've had it a long time. I'll verify in the morning.

I'm looking for something in reasonably priced gallons or even 5's that's stable and still works like it should.

I'm finding that of the three products recommended on PTG's website, at least two of them have been discontinued for "environmental" reasons. I'm about ready to just lissen to Calfee and order 45lb of lard for 130 bucks...... My only reason NOT to is that I can't imagine using 5 gallons in the next 20yrs and I figger it'll go rancid on me.

By the same token though, Do-Drill is a hunnerd bucks a gallon.......

al

Al,

A friend I trust recently suggested I try Dexron IV ATF for cutting chambers. Though I bought a quart of the stuff a couple of months ago, I've yet to try it.

I'm still using Mobilmet Omega which - while it does smell up the shop a bit - works exceptionally well. I've still got most of a 5gal. pail of Omega, and another one of Sigma, which contains about half the sulphur Omega does. Between the two of them, that'll probably last me a good long while.

Wayne, Is that Tap "Matic" or Tap "Magic"??

Brian and Wayne, kind of both. Tapmatic (one word) is the name of a company famous mainly for their line of self reversing tapping heads. However, they do (did?) have a line of metal cutting lubricants named Tapmatic. They also do (did) have a line of Eco-freak friendly fluids named Tap Magic (two words). This line mainly was to replace carbon tetrachloride and its blends, which used in close confinement can be dangerous to your health.

The Tapmatic I have also has the LPS logo on it. Works great for cutting stainless, but I haven't tried chambering with it.

J

Al,

A friend I trust recently suggested I try Dexron IV ATF for cutting chambers. Though I bought a quart of the stuff a couple of months ago, I've yet to try it.

I'm still using Mobilmet Omega which - while it does smell up the shop a bit - works exceptionally well. I've still got most of a 5gal. pail of Omega, and another one of Sigma, which contains about half the sulphur Omega does. Between the two of them, that'll probably last me a good long while.

Try mixing up a blend of 25% ATF & 75% Mobilmet, It works for me.

Well, Omega is history, at least out here. The Mobil supplier has been forced to discontinue selling it. He told me that he can't even sell me stock from a large drum that's half empty. This guy is a machinist who still laments the loss of white lead mixes and of course c'tet. He sells the stuff and claims the new stuff is junk for HSS work.

Now, I'm not fired up about cooking my lungs out with some bad stuff even if I CAN find some, so what's the deal with pigfat? I can get Calfee's blend of Extra
Winter Strain Lard Oil for about 20.00/gallon plus shipping. Does the stuff go bad over time? DOES it really work as well as Calfee sez or is this just a 6-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other thing?

Should I just get some sulfurized oil (one local supplier stocks Relton 'Dark.') Back in 1981 when I went to school for this stuff I was taught that the well equipped shop had recirculating water soluble oil....... I've since learned that I have zero interest in going this route. Just the wee liddle bit I tested water soluble oils I got rust on my decks.

al

Back