Brought home a Heavy 10

mwezell

Mike Ezell
Brought a nice little South Bend 10L home on Wednesday. I don't quite have it set up yet but I plan to put a quick change tool post on it. What are most using on this size machine? Does a BXA work ok? I'm set up with CXA stuff but I'm betting it's a little too big. Thanks in advance!--Mike

Oh, and I've got an extra cxa tool post laying around, so it'd be nice if I can use it along with existing holders..fwiw.

Last edited:
Not sure if you can get the BXA holders low enough. AXA is what I've got. I prefer my Enco 4 way tool post though with the exception of some of my tiny/round boring bars. Then the AXA-2 holder is handy. Great little hobby/2nd operation lathe, but imo just that.

Keith

Mwezell congratulations on your purchase it will serve you extremely well and just it has done for others in the past. I too agree the BXA is probably to big and the AXA would be the right choice. Might also want to look at a Multifix tool post for your lathe. Shars is now offering them and the reviews so far have been good.

https://youtu.be/B0Z2e5gTQ-0

Thanks for all the good feedback. If AXA is all that I can use, then that's what it'll be. I do like the Multifix. I'll look at it further. I've used it or a similar one back when I worked in a real machine shop but I've never owned one. I can see it coming in handy. A friend has a BXA that I can borrow to try. I'd like to be able to stay with bigger tooling that I already have a fair amount of, if possible. It's worth a try...Looks like the BXA is rated for a minimum 10" lathe but it may be too close to use much of my tooling. If so, not much advantage to using it. Just have to bite the bullet and pick up some smaller stuff for this little guy.
Thanks all!

Mwezell congratulations on your purchase it will serve you extremely well and just it has done for others in the past. I too agree the BXA is probably to big and the AXA would be the right choice. Might also want to look at a Multifix tool post for your lathe. Shars is now offering them and the reviews so far have been good.

https://youtu.be/B0Z2e5gTQ-0

Thanks! The best thing is that it appears to be in excellent shape. I'll probably re-wick most of it and put it to work. It's smaller than I'm use to but I really needed a second manual lathe and this one will fit the bill for a lot of what I need it for. I'll try to post some pics in a day or so. Not sure when I'll get it into the shop and wired up. It's under the hoist in my farm shop at the moment. It'll probably stay there for a few days or so. I'll pack it over here on a front end loader and wire it up asap.

Last edited:
I will throw in a positive for the multifix system. I got mine from pewetools and it is excellent. You may be able to use some of your larger tooling with it, but if not it is still a great system. The owner of pewetools is extremely passionate about the system and puts out a great product.
I have the little brother to yours, a 9A, and it is a great little machine, but nowhere near the class of a 10L. It will serve you well! I use an axa tool post on that machine and the A size multifix on my emco v13. That little A system is plenty rigid for anything the 10L could throw at it.
Mike

i will throw in a positive for the multifix system. I got mine from pewetools and it is excellent. You may be able to use some of your larger tooling with it, but if not it is still a great system. The owner of pewetools is extremely passionate about the system and puts out a great product.
I have the little brother to yours, a 9a, and it is a great little machine, but nowhere near the class of a 10l. It will serve you well! I use an axa tool post on that machine and the a size multifix on my emco v13. That little a system is plenty rigid for anything the 10l could throw at it.
Mike
tony where is triple match being held. In rimfire.

Sorry I sold mine :(

I had a nice 10 L but a short one. I have missed it. It was fully tooled which I sent along with it when it went to Massachusetts. Thought I wanted a longer machine but I don't seem to use the extrey length much, if any. Story of my life. A cousin gave me a pristine 1911 made in 1917. Had it around for a few years and decided to sell it. Another "wish I had it back".

Pete

Well, I got the lathe in the shop. Running it off of a terribly noisy phase converter at the moment but plan on using a a single to 3 phase vfd asap.

Nevertheless, this is pretty impressive for any lathe. That's an Interapid. 0001 indicator and the needle barely shakes! About 20 millionths run out on a machine that's nearly as old as me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oPtAklc3izI?feature=share

Still have some minor bugs to work out but the bones of this lathe are exceptional. FWIW, it is one of the "precision tool room" models. The cross slide and carriage are on double vee rails in the bed. Most have a single vee on one side and a flat on the other. I cut a piece to check for taper and run out over about 6 inches with about a tenth taper and it appears to be near perfect for roundness.

Looks like I found a gem of a lathe here. I think a Buck chuck is in the near future.

Last edited:
brought a nice little south bend 10l home on wednesday. I don't quite have it set up yet but i plan to put a quick change tool post on it. What are most using on this size machine? Does a bxa work ok? I'm set up with cxa stuff but i'm betting it's a little too big. Thanks in advance!--mike

oh, and i've got an extra cxa tool post laying around, so it'd be nice if i can use it along with existing holders..fwiw.
have designed new ejection bullet knock out got rid of all threaded rod and steel olders slick more room to fed jackets. 1 814 335 0450 c bill brawand.

Well, I got the lathe in the shop. Running it off of a terribly noisy phase converter at the moment but plan on using a a single to 3 phase vfd asap.

Nevertheless, this is pretty impressive for any lathe. That's an Interapid. 0001 indicator and the needle barely shakes! About 20 millionths run out on a machine that's nearly as old as me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oPtAklc3izI?feature=share

Still have some minor bugs to work out but the bones of this lathe are exceptional. FWIW, it is one of the "precision tool room" models. The cross slide and carriage are on double vee rails in the bed. Most have a single vee on one side and a flat on the other. I cut a piece to check for taper and run out over about 6 inches with about a tenth taper and it appears to be near perfect for roundness.

Looks like I found a gem of a lathe here. I think a Buck chuck is in the near future.

Double vee rails? I have never seen that, on all of my lathes the other vee rail is for the tailstock.

Double vee rails? I have never seen that, on all of my lathes the other vee rail is for the tailstock.

I'm out running errands but will try to post a pic later. As I understand, this is exclusive to what SB called their "precision" series of the 10L. Another feature is the headstock is non adjustable and is scraped into the ways. It does have some adjustment on the tail stock end for leveling/squaring the bed.

Its covered in tools at the moment but I'll try to post a pic of that as well.

Here's a couple of pics of the bed and leveling screw on the tail stock end. The leveling screw is at the red metal tag. It appears to be a simple Jack screw.

20210602_111307.jpg20210602_140752.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of the bed and leveling screw on the tail stock end. The leveling screw is at the red metal tag. It appears to be a simple Jack screw.

View attachment 24666View attachment 24667

The early H10’s were single tumbler while the last ones were of double tumbler design. To my knowledge accept for length the beds were all the same. They also came with two different size spindles. The most desirable were the ones with a 1 3/8 bore which were compatible with 5C collets. The other models had smaller bore an used a South Bend collet system. I have one of each. These machines were legendary when it came to gunsmith lathes back in the day.

The early H10’s were single tumbler while the last ones were of double tumbler design. To my knowledge accept for length the beds were all the same. They also came with two different size spindles. The most desirable were the ones with a 1 3/8 bore which were compatible with 5C collets. The other models had smaller bore an used a South Bend collet system. I have one of each. These machines were legendary when it came to gunsmith lathes back in the day.

From what I've read, some of that might be backward. Mine has the 1-3/8 bore and is not directly compatible with 5c collects but I have the adapter with this machine that bushes the sb spindle taper down to the 5c taper. It is a later(1965) 10L machine.
The "precision Toolroom Lathe", per the sb manual all came with a taper attachment included. Whether or not that's true, I can't say. I'd be interested in machine tags on various machines along with their features. I've not seen another one where the carriage rides on vee ways on both sides but that doesn't mean it's not true. I will only say that what I've seen agrees with what I've both read and been told, by someone far more qualified than myself on these machines.
That still doesn't mean your wrong but it's also not based on a single source of info, either.

Ultimately, ive checked machines that are far newer and many, many times more expensive, both manual and cnc, that couldn't approach the run out shown in the video, even brand new. I'd say average on a decent manual machine is near 10x more run out at the spindle when brand spanking new. That comes from several years back when I worked in tool and die full time. It may be better now as I haven't checked a new machine in a long time. I do have the inspection sheet with my Taiwan Jet though, and it had .0002 before it left the factory. Fwiw.

Last edited:
From what I've read, some of that might be backward. Mine has the 1-3/8 bore and is not directly compatible with 5c collects but I have the adapter with this machine that bushes the sb spindle taper down to the 5c taper.

Believe me when I tell you that the smaller I.D. spindle H10 will not accept 5C collets. Both machines need what you refer to as adapters. The 1 3/8 spindle for the 5C collets and the South Bend collets for the smaller spindle. As I said earlier I own an use both models. I also have several old S.B. catalogs to back up my info.

Believe me when I tell you that the smaller I.D. spindle H10 will not accept 5C collets. Both machines need what you refer to as adapters. The 1 3/8 spindle for the 5C collets and the South Bend collets for the smaller spindle. As I said earlier I own an use both models. I also have several old S.B. catalogs to back up my info.

Apparently there's a third spindle, with a 1.375 bore and a sb taper that has to have an adapter to use 5c collects. I have that one.?

Last edited:
Believe me when I tell you that the smaller I.D. spindle H10 will not accept 5C collets. Both machines need what you refer to as adapters. The 1 3/8 spindle for the 5C collets and the South Bend collets for the smaller spindle. As I said earlier I own an use both models. I also have several old S.B. catalogs to back up my info.[/QUOTE

Your right about the number of V ways on any of the S.B. machines. The carriage is supported by two V ways and the tail stock by one. A total of three V ways and one flat way.

Back