Brass - Normal or Crazy

I just finished neck sizing 50 Lapua cases with my Wilson bushing die. The brass DOES increase in length .001 with a .002 "squeeze " on the neck. With a .001 squeeze it grows about .0005. I have not had to bump the shoulders of my brass in 3 different PPC rifles for 3 years. I should probably shoot hotter loads. Thanks for all the good opinions.

Bob I have not changed anything.
Its probably normal I just never noticed it all these years.
I have to wonder how many times I measured fired cases to see if I needed to trim though....
That wouldnt be good, and could explain some of the weird groups I got at times.

Zimm I have a .269 neck and I use a (if memory serves me correct) a .264-.266 bushing.

Its probably normal I just never noticed it all these years.
I have to wonder how many times I measured fired cases to see if I needed to trim though....

That was how I started thinking about it! Just couldn´t belive the case growth after resizing, and started toying around. Realised that when using heavy neck tension, and sizing half or so of the neck, you will see quite a bit of lenghtening. But, it will shrink back when you seat the bullet!

When measuring case lenght, always measure fired brass or brass with a seated bullet.

//Peter

Peter I am not sure how you can measure case length with a seated bullet. Unless I take the bullet back out...
Ill have to give that one a try and see what the length is after I pull the bullet out.
Because that will be the length when it is put into the chamber to be fired.

It´s not easy! I use two or three bushings stacked togeather that slips over the bullet but not the neck. You probably could use one of those sinclair bullet sorting things with a specially made insert, or use a .257" tool that lets the 6mm bullet pass thru, but not the .269" neck..

It´s really not anything you need to think to much about, just measure case growth from sizing without a neck bushing.

//Peter

Centerfire, Yes I have. I am hoping the die I have is right for my chamber.
I was hoping someone would also post what they knew or found with their brass.
My main thought was on the case shoulder area.
I thought maybe it was normal.
I have an email in to the guy who did the chamber I know he is using a Harrel's and wanted to know what the number was.
I figured it would be easier to just order the same die since its the same reamer and smith, but was hoping I didnt have to pop for a new die.

I just went to the Harrell's site and they show 8 sizes.
Lynwood in 2005 told me to send him 3 new cases I wanted to use and that had been fireformed 3 times each.
I did that and received my die and the Gizzy and have had Zero problems.
They also have a great guarantee. If you don't like it send it back.
Centerfire

Back