Both eyes open or not?

TrxR

For you folks shooting long distance with high powered scopes do you keep both eyes open?

Thanks

I do when I'm shooting F class. I've found that once I have the parallax right, I can see some flags with my off eye without disturbing my focus on the target, allowing be to touch off the shot at an optimum time.

With 1000 yard bench, I use what flags I have in my scope picture, once I come ready to shoot. However, I believe the off eye is still open, just not gathering data.

Thats good to know as I feel more comfortable with the rifle on my right shoulder as I am right handed but to squint I can only close my right eye :( Some of the guys around here say its not a good idea to try to use the left eye when the rifle is on the right shoulder.

What do you folks think?

Thanks

"""" :( Some of the guys around here say its not a good idea to try to use the left eye when the rifle is on the right shoulder. """"

What do you folks think?

Thanks

You'll have to find a post from "a guy around here" to prove this one! EVERYONE here strives to shoot both eyes open, always. It's a big subject having to do with eye dominance and handedness but I can't imagine anyone ever supporting the closing of an eye except to compensate for some lack.......

al

Closing the non-sighting eye can also cause some pretty severe eye strain. Don't ask how i might know about that though. :eek:

Both eyes open, but non sighting eye is blocked with a blinder to not cause eye strain, I learned this years ago in High Power.

OK, a little bit against the grain. I shoot with the left eye closed. The reason for this is because I am right eye dominant but only by a very little. If I try to shoot with both eyes open my focus will begin to shift between my right eye and my left eye, even if I have a blinder over my left one it will begin to focus on the blinder! So I begin with both eyes open to check wind flags/range conditions but before shooting I will close my left eye to keep focus on the sight picture.

There is and origin and history to this closing one eye to shoot.

It seems to have and origin in England in the 19th century and it concerned one individual with a problem shooting live birds with a scatter gun. The problem was it was written by a prominent live bird (pigeon) shooter of the day. The book had a degree of popularity. I wish I could recall where I read this. I have a feeling it was in W.W. Greener book "The Gun And it's development".

I have to believe from helping other shooters over the years, that some shooters have a vary distinct problem shooting with both eyes open, especially position shooters, off hand is a problem for many shooters, and it has been my observation that most of the problem started with them being instructed that closing the off eye was necessary. What does happen is they are not taught to stand head erect, not to tilt their heads and to learn to use both eyes. Eye dominance is the first thing that needs to be found out before any undertaking of instruction. This alone can really help a new shooter. Just as key to learning position and breathing, all of these must be taught correctly at the foundation. It is always much harder to unlearn than it is to get correct guidance from the being. My advise is to try both methods and stay with what is most comfortable. Make sure some one you can rely on their observation watches you shoot. You will want feed back.

Back