borescope.... or chamberscope

tiny68

I don't have the funds to by a Hawkeye. I would like to have a borescope to mainly see my effectiveness in cleaning and throat erosion. Would one of the cheapo borescopes that would go into the chamber up to the neck provide any significant info? I could see them being useless for monitoring the throat erosion, assuming they would actually focus tight enough. What about fouling? Does fouling occur equally throughout the bore or does it tend to localize. I have only looked at a two new custom barrels in a borescope. No fouling on them to compare.

Thanks, Tim

Here is an example of what I am thinking about - http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/slipv100.html

Maybe...but

Think about what this means:

"The high resolution lens provides a clear image of objects as close as 3/4" to a distance of over one foot with a 40 degree field of view."

Tim:

I've had my "Hawkeye", (actually my second, gave the original to my son) for over four years now and looked thru a lot of bores. Powder fouling: will cover pretty much the entire bore, although a little less as you approach the muzzle. Copper fouling: Depends on the finish on the inside of the barrel. It could be streaked throughout the entire length, mainly in the grooves, mainly on the tops of the lands, or both. Have seen small areas of rough spots that had copper buildup, and all the surrounding areas are spotlessly free of copper. Carbon fouling: The most difficult to remove, and I find it mostly to begin several inches in front of the chamber mouth and progress forward for anywhere from 6" to 12" inches or so. Shows up as ugly black streaks, again could be mainly in the grooves only, tops of the lands only, or both. Has a hard appearence, almost like a plated surface. Many times the front 1/3 section of the barrel will be carbon free, have never seen it in the front 1/4 section ( last 6"). Both my "Hawkeyes" (17" Deluxe w/ hard case) were delivered to my door for $620 each, after the $75 rebate, about what you would pay for a high quality rifle scope, but so much more valuable, to me.

Think about what this means:

"The high resolution lens provides a clear image of objects as close as 3/4" to a distance of over one foot with a 40 degree field of view."

Yes. I have calculated this. At a minimum focal length of 0.750" and a 40 degree field of view, the focal width would be 0.54". That would be ok in a 0.308" maybe? Maybe a 0.244?

I don't know the usefullness of this.

Tim

Those cheap scopes are horrible. Do not waste your money on these for anything you actually need to see a clear picture of. I have more than one of these at work and they are never useful.

Those cheap scopes are horrible. Do not waste your money on these for anything you actually need to see a clear picture of. I have more than one of these at work and they are never useful.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks, Tim

Back