Bore Gel solvent or gel suggestions

Roy Allain

I've been using Shooter's Choice Black Powder Gel mixed with Butch's Bore Shine to clean my barrels. Several other friends use the same
or with Shooter's Choice cleaner. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

Can anyone suggest a gel replacement or can anyone suggest a gel mixture that I can make that will do the job?

Many Thanks.

Roy

Last edited:
the word "gel" caught my attention. i homebrew things and recently made a "gel" to clean the baked on carbon from the grooves, specifically, of my varmint rifles's barrels. i have mixed jb bore paste with ammonia cleaning solution bought at home supply store. it takes awhile for the jb to start to cloud the ammonia solution and i let it sit overnight. it GELS! . i dilute it until the thickness is such that it just squirts from the 4 oz plastic bottles i bought from sinclair. a little learning curve to get the consistency. after cleaning with cleaning solvent , i run patches of this stuff down the bore and BLACK smears appear consistent with the 4 grooves of my kreigers. short stroking gets even more out and in a little while, the patches are clean. left some overnight on a piece of stainless barrel and no harm noted. i do not know the chemistry here but can see the results. borescoping afterwards reveals a very clean bore.

I've been using Shooter's Choice Black Powder Gel mixed with Butch's Bore Shine to clean my barrels. Several other friends use the same
or with Shooter's Choice cleaner. Unfortunately, it is no longer made.

Can anyone suggest a gel replacement or can anyone suggest a gel mixture that I can make that will do the job?

Many Thanks.

Roy

I believe LANOLIN, found in most drug stores, is the base compound in most gel bore cleaning products, so just add LANOLIN base to your favorite liquid bore cleaner until its the gel consistency that you are looking for..........Don

Roy this is like dejavu.
There was a thread last year just like this. I am not sure who started it but I remember talking back and forth with Gene Beggs.
I went out online and found him a replacement.
I think it is called Agar.....
You can also see it mixed on Youtube.
I tried to do the search for the thread using gel but the stupid search engine does not recognize words less than 4 letters.
If you dont find the thread let me know and Ill try and look back through my posts.
But it was the same exact question.

CVA makes a black powder cleaning gel. They call it Barrel Blaster. I have some mixed 50/50 with Kroil to try, which I haven't done yet.

Jim Carstensen

I have used a mixture of 3 parts Hoppe's #9 and 1 part Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent . When mixed the two solvents form a gel that works quite well for getting the "coal" out of barrel.

Rodney

Roy this is like dejavu.
There was a thread last year just like this. I am not sure who started it but I remember talking back and forth with Gene Beggs.

Thanks for the reminder Vern. I had completely forgotten about it. CRS.

I will get back to you and all the others asap. I'm waiting on a call back from G96.

Will also contact CVA. Where can I get Guar Gum. Wrigley's?

I'll also try the Hoppe's Black Powder solvent. If it's a gel it should work.

Will post again soon as I get something positive. I promise.

Roy

The Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent is not a get until it is mixed with the regular Hoppe's #9 then it turns into a gel and actually gets thicker over time.
Just wanted to make sure if I wasn't clear on what I posted before .

Good luck,
Rodney

... actually gets thicker over time.
Sounds like an uncle of mine.

It's always been my impression that cleaners with a bit of viscosity to them do the job better than the really watery ones, which is possibly why Sweets still has followers. Is that because they adhere to the whole diameter of the bore more consistently?

On the other hand, I have been really comfortable with the decoking power of Subaru upper engine cleaner on a black bristle brush.

John

I incorrectly listed the Hoppe's mixture in my earlier post . I had it backwards . It is :
Mix 2/3 rds. Hoppes No. 9 Plus Black Powder solvent with 1/3rd. Regular Hoppes No. 9 Nitro solvent. Let this mixture set overnight and it will form a sort of gel that adheres very well to the brush and cuts powder fouling to a minimum.
This was copied from Speedy's Barrel Cleaning article on another forum.

Sorry 'bout that,
Rodney

Hoppes makes a gel for cleaning modern rifles,check it out ,,it works good for me and I dont have to mix or make anything and take a chance on damageing something with a home brew.....

Thanks Vern.

Fyi. I contacted g96 yesterday and they told me they discontinued the Black Powder Gel to go with a mil spec cleaner.

I'm going to look into the Hoppes stuff and see what's happening.

Later -- as more info comes in.

Roy

I wonder what would happen if I mix the Hoppes Elite Gel with Montana Copper Killer. That looks like a winner. If it don't kill me.

wanted to try eggman's mixture, but no hoppe's black powder cleaner. did get t/c equivalent and it works GREAT!. the blend of the t/c and hoppe's no 9 smells wonderful! almost want to put it on ice cream! joking aside, this mixture can be made to any thickness and gets the baked on carbon out without brushing or jb. learn something new everyday.

I bought a tube of CVA Barrel Blaster gelled solvent. Cost 12.95 plus 5.00 shipping. Never again.

I found out that it is made by Blue Wonder Products. I went to their web site and found it is 9.99 per tube.

Go figure. Still costs a 5.00 shipping charge.

When I get some time I'm going to try the lanolin. I have a tube I was going to try for case sizing, but I rather Imperial die wax. Why fix it if'n it ain't broke.

Roy

wanted to try eggman's mixture, but no hoppe's black powder cleaner. did get t/c equivalent and it works GREAT!. the blend of the t/c and hoppe's no 9 smells wonderful! almost want to put it on ice cream! joking aside, this mixture can be made to any thickness and gets the baked on carbon out without brushing or jb. learn something new everyday.

Is t/c Thompson Contender?

Roy

the word "gel" caught my attention. i homebrew things and recently made a "gel" to clean the baked on carbon from the grooves, specifically, of my varmint rifles's barrels. i have mixed jb bore paste with ammonia cleaning solution bought at home supply store.

What to name to look for or is it a generic cleaner?

Roy

Back