blowing out cases with shottygun powder.

alinwa

oft dis'd member
Here are some pictures that I took yesterday while making 30X47L cases from 6.5X47L. I decided to use up some Win Super-Lite that I have plenty of. Never having used this powder I had to come up with a "load".......I started with about 1/2 case and worked up until the case started to blow out. I took pix of the progression, 10 kliks apart (Harrell) from 40k to 70k which turned out to be a nice FF load. The 70 klik load comes about halfway up the shoulder and my method is to wad a small crumpled ball of toilet paper into the casemouth so that I can fire out the window if I choose. OR, just be careful not to spill and fire straight up. NO BULLET!!!

I did this in a dedicated chamber since the brass blows out so long that it slaps the leade of the chamber in which it's designed to be fired for competition. I recently learned here on the forum that this slapping action will actually make dents in the chamber. I can fire 10 of these before the barrel gets hot. They're LOUD! I have C.O.W., I just didn't take the time to work up a COW load. The COW load doesn't heat the barrel so bad.

The single image shows just how beauteously this method blows out the brass. The cases are bumped to a firm crush-fit in the FF chamber and lengthen appreciably upon firing. The picture of the single case is to show the perfect scalloped edge formed by the even blowout.

This is a good lookin' HBR case :)

al

Attachments

• 208865176605_0_ALB.jpg
    208865176605_0_ALB.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 811908576605_0_ALB.jpg
    811908576605_0_ALB.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 378
I'm not stretching the area in front of the web AT ALL!!!

ZERO..........

The extra length is from the neck brass working forward and stretching, that's why I mention the "scallops".

This brass is PERFECT, the case and casehead area has blown out radially with ZERO longitudinal stretch and all of the neck and shoulder brass went forward.

al

Lynn
I believe you will find that the neck will always lengthen when you open the cal. from 6.5 to 30 cal.
Glenn

Lynn,

You're essentially correct. I'm blowing the shoulders outward a bit more than "normal" but not as much as an Ackley.....

al

sorry Lynn I'm not the person who did well at the IBS nationals but I sure wish I could shoot that good. Maybe later.

Glenn

Back