Bix and Andy Action

Many of us remember the Farley Fiasco, where the lugs (literally), fell off of a bolt, a few more had some problems, and suddenly everybody was visiting the local Heat Treater with a Rockwell Hardness Tester.

Two shooters and myself took our's, about eight total, over to Lone Star Heat Treat in Houston, and the bolts were all over the place in Heat Treat, some as low as 44, and one, (my LV), was at 53.

Jim was using S-7 ToolSteel, which can make a great bolt, except the heat treat procedure is extremely critical. Temperatures are measured in increments that might be beyond someone without the best in equipment.

Many shooters sent their bolts back to Farley to have the temper redrawn, I left mine at that 53. (My other Farley was at 48). These are still the same actions I shoot now, thousands of rounds have gone through both with no ill affects. By my studying, 53 is right on the upper end on S-7 for this application.

I never heard what the RC number was on that bolt that failed.

If you think about it, since the late 1800's, there have been millions and millions of bolt action rifles produced, both military and civilian. What percentege have ever had a bolt fail? I would suspect the number is so low, it would not even register on a chart. We have all seen pictures of actions with the barrel split and the action body destroyed. But the two lugs still intact.

I am not a fan of the multi lug design, where numerous smaller lugs take the place of two large lugs. On paper, the strength is there. But in real world application, every thing has to be perfect every time in order to avoid an overload that could result in failure. On a two lug, even if an anomaly happens, such as an uneven load, that one big lug taking the pressure still has the strength to withstand. With smaller multi lugs, if an anomaly occurs, and only one row of those small ligs are exposed to the pressure, their yield strength might be compromised.

Cracking in a part that is subjected to high, and repeated, shock loads is usually a sign of poor material selection, too high of a RC number resulting in low ductility for the material selected, a stress riser in a critic lie area, or an undue load placed on a particular section of the part.

The first two can be fixed by selecting another material or being more meticulous in the heat treating procedures. The third, you have to re-think your design.

Historically, bolts have been made of some type of chrome moly steel, such as 4140. Some custom manufacturers use 4340, which possesses a higher ductility at the same strength level along with a better end quench hardenability.. There are multitudes of variations of both, with traces of different alloying elements to enhance performance in a particular application.

Did anyone take a picture of the cracks in this particular action?

Last edited:
I was actually talking with one of the BA guys when word came in one was locked up. Guess it was Andy. Seems like a very intelligent guy. He was explaining all of the pressure testing they had done and that they were still testing metallurgy. I'm sure they have it figured out.

Mark

I was actually talking with one of the BA guys when word came in one was locked up. Guess it was Andy. Seems like a very intelligent guy. He was explaining all of the pressure testing they had done and that they were still testing metallurgy. I'm sure they have it figured out.

Mark
It's just like anything else that is new Mark. When the first B&A triggers became available there were problems with them, but they eventually figured it out.

Yep. Da' rifle moved on. :) Da' Grems stayed on! :(

(I am not a Gremlin magnet! I am not a Gremlin magnet! I am not . . . (keep repeating . . .)

Z-dog (Chris Mitchell)
Mitchell your haunted! I think it started when you bought that possessed Bat actioned B**** Christine off Palman. From then on it was down hill. Look what it did to Goody when u left it at his house, His house caught fire. I could go on and on about that possessed rifle leaving a wake of destruction wherever it went. You should of had an exorcism done on that Linda Blair Mother Fkr. The only rifle that I know of that the scope would actually turn in the hardcase.

What are you Mainiacs doing up there?
I thought voodoo was more prevalent in the Caribbean. In Maine???

For years the Japanese auto builders treated the customer as the final inspection. What ever happened to testing and quality inspection before a product changes hands?
As was mentioned already, just wait for the bugs to get worked out.
No Francis, I'm no Mainer thank God, just a transplant. These Mainiacs are born cursed but Chris is cursed twice, he is part Native American, and even his medicine man couldn't help him. You might think after being cursed since he bought that possessed rifle that he'd turn to fire water, but as Jim Goody says, Chris's people don't do well with that stuff. LOL.

Curse?

WACOS!

I had 3 HV rifles, two Kelbly and one BAT. I decided to trim the flock and the majority won. It shot no better and no worse than the other two rifles. I think the right medicine woman might help!

Many of us remember the Farley Fiasco, where the lugs (literally), fell off of a bolt, a few more had some problems, and suddenly everybody was visiting the local Heat Treater with a Rockwell Hardness Tester.

Two shooters and myself took our's, about eight total, over to Lone Star Heat Treat in Houston, and the bolts were all over the place in Heat Treat, some as low as 44, and one, (my LV), was at 53.

Jim was using S-7 ToolSteel, which can make a great bolt, except the heat treat procedure is extremely critical. Temperatures are measured in increments that might be beyond someone without the best in equipment.

Many shooters sent their bolts back to Farley to have the temper redrawn, I left mine at that 53. (My other Farley was at 48). These are still the same actions I shoot now, thousands of rounds have gone through both with no ill affects. By my studying, 53 is right on the upper end on S-7 for this application.

I never heard what the RC number was on that bolt that failed.

If you think about it, since the late 1800's, there have been millions and millions of bolt action rifles produced, both military and civilian. What percentege have ever had a bolt fail? I would suspect the number is so low, it would not even register on a chart. We have all seen pictures of actions with the barrel split and the action body destroyed. But the two lugs still intact.

I am not a fan of the multi lug design, where numerous smaller lugs take the place of two large lugs. On paper, the strength is there. But in real world application, every thing has to be perfect every time in order to avoid an overload that could result in failure. On a two lug, even if an anomaly happens, such as an uneven load, that one big lug taking the pressure still has the strength to withstand. With smaller multi lugs, if an anomaly occurs, and only one row of those small ligs are exposed to the pressure, their yield strength might be compromised.

Cracking in a part that is subjected to high, and repeated, shock loads is usually a sign of poor material selection, too high of a RC number resulting in low ductility for the material selected, or an undue load placed on a particular section of the part.

The first two can be fixed by selecting another material or being more meticulous in the heat treating procedures. The third, you have to re-think your design.

Historically, bolts have been made of some type of chrome moly steel, such as 4140. Some custom manufacturers use 4340, which possesses a higher ductility at the same strength level along with a better end quench hardenability.. There are multitudes of variations of both, with traces of different alloying elements to enhance performance in a particular application.

Did anyone take a picture of the cracks in this particular action?

I could only guess what may have been behind the Farley problem back then, but S-7 is a fine choice for a bolt with a hardness in the ranges you mentioned. S-5 might be slightly better at even harder numbers but no need to go harder IMO. There had to be something else at play, IMO. At 44-53 s-7 should not IMO have any problem with impact toughness. In fact, S-7 is one of the best options available in terms of shock resistance at hardness levels appropriate for a bolt.
A few years back I helped a manufacturer get started making a 50BMG 3 lug bolt action rifle. They went with s-7 for the bolt at 59hrc, against my recommended 48 hrc, which would yield a much better impact resistance and still be plenty hard enough IMO. Nevertheless, as far as I know, they have had no failures or problems, even at that hardness. S-7 tempers at a pretty low temp, making melonite or similar high temp plating less feasible than some others.
I don't know what the Farley issue was caused by but S7 is a good choice IMHO, for a bolt. It also works well for dies and has good dimensional stability during heat treat and tempering. FWIW.

WACOS!

I had 3 HV rifles, two Kelbly and one BAT. I decided to trim the flock and the majority won. It shot no better and no worse than the other two rifles. I think the right medicine woman might help!
Ya Greg we gotta find that boy a good woman, not one of those corn fed 450+ pound Maine farm girls, just a light weight squaw.

Last edited:
Barrels, Barrels, Barrels

A great barrel will shoot great on a 700 Remington action , or a Savage or anything else. Don't think so, shoot Mike Luce's rifle.

Pete

But that great barrel will shoot better on one of those better actions- the ones with the perfect fire control that seem to shoot better more often than their twins

I shot Mike's

A great barrel will shoot great on a 700 Remington action , or a Savage or anything else. Don't think so, shoot Mike Luce's rifle.

Pete

100% factory .22-250 a few years ago. We finished a factory match at Orrington then hung some eggs at 200 yards. He loaned me his rifle and ammo. I shot at 2 eggs at 200 and hit them both. Won the pot. I held about 2" high as the rifle was sighted in at 100. Scrambled eggs. Neat rifle! I do know you are talking about his BR savage though. Savages are quite the factory rifle!

Cracked lug?
Wrong heat treat? Wrong material? Uneven load on one or two of those small lugs?

I`ve been involved in such a situation, back in my years of production mfg......Here`s the way things like that happen.... you have a good design.....all the numbers say it will work...... you order material..... say.. 4140...... you get it in ( w/o documenting material type ).......... start machining....part looks good.....send out to heat treat.....with heat treat spec.....you get part back and it goes to grinding...... ( w/o documenting hardness )...so... you wind up with a beautiful looking part.... BUT...not meeting your specs.....
For a smaller shop... to set up a dept.... .....or pay some one else to check a vendors work... is hard to swallow.....most shops would have a brinell hardness checker...but for a decent metal documentation test just another exspense..... with todays liability requirements, safety and testing can cost as much as the product you are making.....
bill

I`ve been involved in such a situation, back in my years of production mfg......Here`s the way things like that happen.... you have a good design.....all the numbers say it will work...... you order material..... say.. 4140...... you get it in ( w/o documenting material type ).......... start machining....part looks good.....send out to heat treat.....with heat treat spec.....you get part back and it goes to grinding...... ( w/o documenting hardness )...so... you wind up with a beautiful looking part.... BUT...not meeting your specs.....
For a smaller shop... to set up a dept.... .....or pay some one else to check a vendors work... is hard to swallow.....most shops would have a brinell hardness checker...but for a decent metal documentation test just another exspense..... with todays liability requirements, safety and testing can cost as much as the product you are making.....
bill

Bill,
I'll disagree a little. It would be real incompetence to buy material without certs. I'm just a little home shop-hobby guy, but can easily get certs on my materials. I also have an 8524T Wilson hardness tester. I purchased it from Lockheed Aircraft for $500. I don't think expense such as this stands in the way.

Safety margins..

Bill,
I'll disagree a little. It would be real incompetence to buy material without certs. I'm just a little home shop-hobby guy, but can easily get certs on my materials. I also have an 8524T Wilson hardness tester. I purchased it from Lockheed Aircraft for $500. I don't think expense such as this stands in the way.

Well Butch....in this sheared/cracked lug predickerment.... I would guess materials or hardness specs were not adhered to...and never checked....Every case is individual....... in the printing machinery industry....we never documented material specs,( AS REC`D )...but did check hardness...... of finished work....now we did a lot of carbon fiber roller work...... spec`d out a modulus of elasticity...... we had no way of checking this.... accurately.... just took vendors word it was rite......
when we had failures they were very good about replacing their work......
bill

We heat treat our receivers and bolts in-house. Never had an issue with compromised metal or galling on the 21 we’ve built. I’m no expert metallurgist, but we’ve had good luck with the following:

Receiver – 4140, heated to Rockwell 39
Bolt – 4340, heat treated to Rockwell 42

Hardness testing.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

We heat treat our receivers and bolts in-house. Never had an issue with compromised metal or galling on the 21 we’ve built. I’m no expert metallurgist, but we’ve had good luck with the following:

Receiver – 4140, heated to Rockwell 39
Bolt – 4340, heat treated to Rockwell 42

Hardness testing.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Boy,now that is a nice oven........... I`m envious..........
bill

Thanks Bill. It's an old furnace my dad bought back in the 1980's for next to nothing. It's simple but has accounted for a lot of actions and Ruger cylinders in our shop. One of these days we'll add a programmable thermostat so I don't have to constantly check the needle and bump the dial :)

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

At my shop, we buy a lot of steel. Thousands and thousands of pounds a year.

We get some type of paperwork on every lot we buy. Granted, on some of the 1018 bar stock, it is nothing more than a chemical analysis on the lot, but at the very least it certifies what you are buying.

On parts that require a steel with a specific ASTM number and specific specifications, the paperwork is more involved.

Example....Just before the new year, we were called on to machine 64 body bound bolts that were used to secure the blades on large variable pitch propellars. The bodies of the bolts were a finished to 2.998 inch. The print specified Premium Aircraft Qulaity VAR E-4340. The bolts had to be roughed, hardened, then tempered at 38 RC hardness, then hexed and finished machined.

The paperwork we received was 10 pages thick, and very extensive, following the material from the first melt to the last.

I would think that a Custom Rifle action would receive the same scrutiny, especially if the design requires the utmost in adherence to the minutest detail in material cleanliness and ductility.
http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17395&stc=1&d=1455214349

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Bill,

Material certs don't mean much today. There has been a lot of fraudulent and incompetent activity amongst material suppliers. Bottom line is a cert is just a piece of paper. The only way to know 100% for certain what you have is by sending material samples to independent test labs for testing before and after heat treat. It sucks that you can't just trust people but that's the world we live in.

I had some parts I machined that failed mag particle inspection twice from two different material mills with all the certifications and proper paper trails in place. In talking with a metallurgist at Carpenter Steel I was informed the mill cert is mostly a report on chemical composition and does not take into account things like grain size and distribution, nor would they guarantee it or post heat treat mechanical performance.

Material Certs...........

I would think that a Custom Rifle action would receive the same scrutiny, especially if the design requires the utmost in adherence to the minutest detail in material cleanliness and ductility.

I couldn't agree more...... esp. since the action sees.......30,000-70,000 psi
bill

Back