Bill Brawand has left the range.

R. Rains

I was asked to please post this for the family.

Dear Benchrest Shooters,

With sadness, the family of Bill would like to advise you that he has passed away on Wednesday, 10/27th, while in his recliner watching football. We want you all to know that he loved Benchrest Shooting. He lived for the months of May to October for the last 49 years. He actually knew everyone’s name and when he couldn’t go to a shoot, he loved to go on Benchrest Central and look at all the standings and scores.

Soon, his obituary will be posted at https://www.ferraginefuneralhome.com/ with his picture of when he won a National Competition. AS you know, he typed with 2 fingers and often in CAPs, but he still liked the back-and-forth of anything to do with shooting. His six daughters would like to thank you all for the kindness you have shown us when we were at the shoots with Dad. Thank you for all the message of condolence.

His email will still be active if you want to send a note at William@brawand.com

Blessings to everyone,

The Bill Brawand Family

So sorry to hear. Bill is gonna be missed by all who had the pleasure of meeting him.

With sympathy for the family

Pat

We are sorry for your loss Tammy and the rest of the family. I sure enjoyed talking with your dad and I'm glad we
got to see him at Camillus this year. He will be missed.

Joe and Stacy Hynes

Bill was a good friend and one of the true gentlemen of BR, very sad indeed.
RIP Buddy.

Not a lot of pics of Billy. Here’s one of me, Billy, Tom Fargnoli @Canastota a few years back.

Attachments

• 057FDDB3-EDEA-4AB4-9E02-A048801A3D8A.jpeg
    057FDDB3-EDEA-4AB4-9E02-A048801A3D8A.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 534
Last edited:
Though I never had the pleasure of meeting Bill, he'd been around the sport a long time and was passionate about accurate rifles, experimenting, Benchrest shooting and bullet making.

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

I meet Bill at Reeds Run NBRSA benchrest shoots in the early 80’s ….

I meet Bill at the Reeds Run rifle range in Augusta, Ohio the early 80’s during the various NBRSA shoots. Interesting and fun guy not to mention it was the best of times to shoot! Prayers for his family and friends.High Noon

Remembering Bill

--He defined "Optimism"
--Exceptional family support at shoots helping him get set up etc.
--Missed seeing his van of years ago "The Love Nest"
--I don't think he ever had an enemy!!
--A true promoter of Benchrest!!

Well Damn! He was here one day and gone the next. Sad to see. So much knowledge and enthusiasm. Condolences to friends and family :(

Bill Brawand (photos from family)

Our deepest sympothies and condolences go to the Brawand family. These photos were submitted by daughter, Sam Brawand. Bill was a true benchrest shooter if there ever was one. We'll miss you Bill!

1benchrest_IBS_jacket.jpgDad_HighSchool_1952.jpgDad_Sam_SuperShoot.jpgMilk Truck.jpgshooter.jpg

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    643 KB · Views: 345
Great pics.

The Man, The Myth, The Legend.K

I never heard Bill complain about anything.

Dave

I did at Holton. It was 105°(Can't remember the year.).
And they took him to the hospital. He wanted to sleep in his van.
They made him stay at the Harrington. Might have been his first time. He thought it was really nice. The next year he had a trailer. With a bigger A/C.
A few Canadians went to hospital , too. A lot of people left next day.....
Great guy.

Very sad news indeed. My condolences to his family. Bill was one of kind and one of the last "characters" in benchrest. I have known him from the late 70s and shot more than a few of his bullets. He grew up on a dairy farm in Wilcox, Pa which is the northcentral part of the state. Back in the day, Bill worked for his father on the farm and dairy. For many years he was paid $100 a week for untold hours of tending to a dairy herd and running a dairy. I am pretty sure he delivered milk from the homebase as well. He told me he made his own bullets, of course, to save money. But the cash he earned making and selling bullets is what allowed him to shoot. He could not do so on $100 let alone raise a family. He learned frugality at an early age, and a helluva work ethic. Fast forward into the 2000s. The dairy was long gone but the Brawand farm remained. Underneath the fields was oil and gas. Bill was unique in that he did not sell mineral rights, he drilled his own damned wells. He was savvy and resulted in rather substantial revenue over the years. He could afford to stay at a nice motel (he could have bought the motel, or the motel chain...) but many times would sleep on a couch in a range's clubhouse. In the later years he did get an nice RV which he deserved. (Sam Brawand if I got anything wrong here, please let me know).

Bill was a good man, a fine benchrest shooter and will be missed.

Jeff

Back