Big shootout at Palmetto today

Dick Grosbier

Club Coordinator
The South Carolina State Championship match is being held at the Palmetto Gun Club in Charleston SC today (Nov. 1).
Once again it looks to be a pivotable match in the IBS Score Shooter Of the Year competition. Besides all the regular local suspects and there are some top shooters in the area, a number of yankees are invading. Dean Breeden needs a really good performance to overtake Dewey Hancock the current points leader. Roy Hunter also is headed that way to try and beat the 30's with his 6 PPC and since the weather forecast is for lots of wind he just might do it.
I cannot wait to hear the results, it is a 100/200 shoot and they will be shooting all day, almost until dark.
Dick

Click Here for current standings http://internationalbenchrest.com/news/SSOYstandings.php

I miss going to that shoot. It is a nice range with a bunch of good shooters, and the weather is usually a lot better than it is in KY, especially today, it has been snowing this morning. I think Mike Niblett is there, so I am pulling for him to win it. Good luck to everyone. Jackie

I miss going to that shoot. It is a nice range with a bunch of good shooters, and the weather is usually a lot better than it is in KY, especially today, it has been snowing this morning. I think Mike Niblett is there, so I am pulling for him to win it. Good luck to everyone. Jackie

I just looked at the weather forecast and it is not snowing, but also is not wonderful.

High 51
Real feel 39
Chance of precipitation 55%
Wind WNW at 20 with gusts to 40

Good luck Mike

Screen Shot 2014-11-01 at 11.00.39 AM.jpg

I just looked at the weather forecast and it is not snowing, but also is not wonderful.

High 51
Real feel 39
Chance of precipitation 55%
Wind WNW at 20 with gusts to 40

Good luck Mike

View attachment 15535

Wow, that will be some brutal shooting conditions. Thinking back to around 2003-2004 I got down there and had to go buy some more clothes for the colder than expected temps. We went on down to Savannah Ga. for a couple of days and there was frost in the mornings.

Hillary Martinez won the 200 with 12 X's, only one to shoot clean and won the grand. I think only 7 stayed clean at 100. Anthony Isner got 2nd with Humble Henry Rivers at 3rd.
Good shooting to all.
DA

Was Dewey there and did he pick up any points? How did Dean do?

Dean needed 45 points to be ahead, he has a 9 discard from Blackcreek, while Dewey has a discard of around 36 (I was told.) This means Dewey needs more than his current lowest score, whatever it actually is to gain any points at all. Additionally Dean has potential points coming from at least one record.

Then there is always the Georgia State next weekend to possibly see the lead change again.
Dick

Roy Hunter

Dick it didn't work out as planned for your boy Roy! Dean,Roy and Dewey both shot their last target without sighters. This was a brave move as the two top runners for shooter of the year had a lot to lose.

Dick it didn't work out as planned for your boy Roy! Dean,Roy and Dewey both shot their last target without sighters. This was a brave move as the two top runners for shooter of the year had a lot to lose.

Jim ,
You have piqued my interest but why did they shoot no sighters? Impending darkness maybe? And what was the outcome?

Last edited:
Jim ,
You have piqued my interest but why did they shoot no sighters? Impending darkness maybe? And what was the outcome?

Well I found out the deal. It seems a small wager was made on who had the guts to shoot the last match with no sighters. I also heard Dean won the wager.

I wasn't there for the no sighters this time but I was at Shelby County, Ohio when Jeff Gaidos, Greg Walley, and Jack Neary had a no sighters bet on their last target. The bet was smallest group without a sighter. It was a no brainer for me - I shot one sighter on each of their targets.

results

My phone won't let me upload them here. I've posted them on the IBS Facebook. Even though the weather was awful, we had a great time. Thanks to all that ran a great match! See ya'll next year.

Standings SSOY

Dean needed 45 points to be ahead, he has a 9 discard from Blackcreek, while Dewey has a discard of around 36 (I was told.) This means Dewey needs more than his current lowest score, whatever it actually is to gain any points at all. Additionally Dean has potential points coming from at least one record.

Then there is always the Georgia State next weekend to possibly see the lead change again.
Dick

Dick. I'm pretty sure this is the standings as of today between Dewey & Dean. With the potential record of Dean's, he is 2&1/2 points ahead of Dewey. I'm pretty sure Dewey's low score is a 35. So he needs 38 points to beat Dean.

Full results are posted on the IBS webpage thanks to an email from Hillary.

She came back from a dropped point at 100 to sweep the 200 and the Grand.

"She came back from a dropped point at 100 to sweep the 200 and the Grand"..staying in the competition for a "come from behind" win is the mark of a true champions. Congrats to you Hillary and well as others who shot well in apparently real tough conditions.

-H

Back