Beware of Cheap Grizzly Boring Bars!

I have some of those inserts also. they replaced them for me. I don't care much for the threading tool. Actually I sent it back no questions asked. I do however like some of warners turning tools. The strange thing I don't get is that it seems everyone loves the threading tool. I truly didn't have good luck with the one I had. Threads looked rough. Lee

Threading inserts will do that if they are too ar above center especially if they are zero rake. For example a TNMGxxx is above center at all it will tend to tear the metal or at least chatter. A TPMGxxx can be run slightly above center depending on the material being cut, type of coolant used, etc. (this if for triangular threading inserts. These 2 cornered dudes, same thing).

Some of the results of these little off-shores sewing-machine lathes do not have the rigidity to thread, period!!

I probably shouldn't have agreed with Dusty 100%. Thinking back, my situation could be nothing more than lack of experience. Here is what I remember.
I had one of there profile tool holders. I bought a few of the carbide inserts, and not the HSS inserts. I thought they might last a little longer.? However, the carbide insert, no matter what I tried wouldn't leave a decent finish, no matter what I tried. I was very new to lathe machining at that time. Actually about 2 months into my journey.
When I called Warner, I remember describing the situation as if appeared that I had to much of the insert contacting the steel I was trying to turn. Looked to me like the insert had no back rake?? We tried a couple different ideas over the phone, but I just couldn't seem to make that insert cut for whatever reason. So I returned the carbide insert, and replace them with the HSS insert, that Warner recommended the first time. The HSS insert seemed to cut just fine, so I really don't know what to think?? This was all several years ago now, so I don't remember to much more.
Other than dressing the insert every time I touch steel to them, I really like the Warner HSS inserts. I didn't have any luck with the threading tool, and thinking back now. maybe it to was a simple situation, and simply my lack of knowledge on how to even use the tool??
One thing I do know. Arthur Warner stands behind his products, and I will continue to buy tools from them. Lee

Boring Bars

I bit on the deal and bought a Grizzly $30 boring bar advertised to take the same inserts I use in an Iscar $130 bar. As they say, "you get what you pay for". The insert pocket is machined with improper geometry for the inserts and they rub on the trailing edge making the bar absolutely suitable for the scrap bucket! I knew it was too good to be true.

Assuming you are an experienced machinist and your set-up was good.....
Have you contacted vendor, and stated your problem, before you started bashing them.........?????????... it is possible to get bad product from most any company.
the owner of this company is a fellow shooter.Give him/them a chance to make things right before running them down.
bill larson

Assuming you are an experienced machinist and your set-up was good.....
Have you contacted vendor, and stated your problem, before you started bashing them.........?????????... it is possible to get bad product from most any company.
the owner of this company is a fellow shooter.Give him/them a chance to make things right before running them down.
bill larson

He is an experienced machinist which is how he can tell the difference. The top tool companies come to his door and beg him to use their tooling.

Did you really go into it thinking $30 would get you what $130 would? I would talk to a rep before I tossed it, maybe a replacement would get you better results..

Ray

I have to say I’m rather puzzled by some of the responses in this thread. There has got to be four or five guys here getting defensive and reasoning that spending time with customer service, mailing back and forth, even taking to a die grinder is a perfectly acceptable practice. Some here even talk of a history of poor tool performance and praise the tool maker and supplier in the same paragraph.:confused: As someone that should be considered an expert in many facets of the machining industry, I just have to look towards the ground, put my hand on my forehead, and shake it side to side in disbelief. The point of the post seems to have flown right over your heads. It reminds me of the guy with the RemSavage varminter that blames his poor accuracy on himself while simultaneously criticizing those with working equipment and real knowledge.

Was just wondering, are inserts used for threading sharply pointed, or radiused? Is there an advantage to setting the bit above center?

The guy who invented the adjustable tool post should have been awarded the Nobel Prize. ;-)
F1

I have to say I’m rather puzzled by some of the responses in this thread. There has got to be four or five guys here getting defensive and reasoning that spending time with customer service, mailing back and forth, even taking to a die grinder is a perfectly acceptable practice. Some here even talk of a history of poor tool performance and praise the tool maker and supplier in the same paragraph.:confused: As someone that should be considered an expert in many facets of the machining industry, I just have to look towards the ground, put my hand on my forehead, and shake it side to side in disbelief. The point of the post seems to have flown right over your heads. It reminds me of the guy with the RemSavage varminter that blames his poor accuracy on himself while simultaneously criticizing those with working equipment and real knowledge.

Amazing isn't it Joe. Some of these guys have never tired to make a living in a machine shop. In earlier years I had 2 buddies that liked to sit in the lounge of an automobile dealers service department while the warranty work was done, after all it was free. Personally I'd rather be shooting or fishing.

As to shop tooling you pretty much get what you pay for.

Was just wondering, are inserts used for threading sharply pointed, or radiused? Is there an advantage to setting the bit above center?

The guy who invented the adjustable tool post should have been awarded the Nobel Prize. ;-)
F1

Setting your threading tool very far above center will turn out to be disasterous. When you get above center you are putting the cutting edge in negative clearance and when you get to about full depth it will let you know.

As to the point of a threading tool, depending on the threads per inch you want some of a flat or radius. Remember, you are not cutting a 100% depth thread so the point doesn't have to be sharp.

Setting your threading tool very far above center will turn out to be disasterous. When you get above center you are putting the cutting edge in negative clearance and when you get to about full depth it will let you know.

As to the point of a threading tool, depending on the threads per inch you want some of a flat or radius. Remember, you are not cutting a 100% depth thread so the point doesn't have to be sharp.

IIRC, the width of the flat on American National threads is the pitch divided by 8.

Back