best way to cut cases

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I'm shortening cases by cutting them off behind the shoulder...... making them into straight-walled cases. Currently fastest is a vertical bandsaw but it ain't perty...

Any great automatic tubing cutters out there? I'm picturing a swing-handle, nutcracker-like tubing cutter where I can spin the cases up and lop them quickly with just a pinch of the cutter.....Or any better ideas?

Thanks
al

just a regular tube cutter that plumbers use, the smallest one will probably work best, then you just use a power drill with case holder to spin the case.

you will ned to run it through an expander after cutting since the cutter pushes the edges inwards.

Fast and nasty might also be the best

There are just so many ways to do the operation you are doing. You may be doing it the fasted way. I have an edge sander that might get into the act to smooth the edge of the cut quickly.

Concho Bill

I usually use a collet to hold a 1/2" endmill in the lathe. Then a K&M case holder in the tail stock. Feed the case onto the endmill and they are trimmed and ready to debur. I make 45 win mag cases like this.

Dale

I like the looks of the Harbor Freight cut off saw. I rigged a similar setup using a Dremel Moto Tool.
I've tried several tubing cutters and they will follow the taper of the case and never cut through,
just make it look like you were trying to thread it.
I am using my setup to make 6.5 Creedmoor from .308 and .20 Vartarg from .222 or .223.
I use a stop to put the base of the case against so I do not have to clamp each case and
can do about 200 per hour.

I don't know how many you are going to do or how often ,but when trimming to OAL I've often thought that an old key cutting machine that had a way to allow for body taper would be the answer.

Good catch on the tubing cutter ;) it cannot work. I hadn't thought it through, hoped with the handles I could walk it over....

Milling in the lathe and chopsaw are two I hadn't considered, both great!

BTW Wilbur, I don't think I can get deep enough with the plasma cutter and it doesn't really like copper..... the laser table will do it but holding the cases is problematic and just firing the machine up spins the meter up until the pole is humming.

Thanks guys.

I'ma' try chopsaw for rough-cut, (I have one set up for trimming arrows,,DUHH! just shim the trough and voilahhh...) form and trim for ff on the lathe using the endmill.

nice

al

I'ma' try chopsaw for rough-cut, (I have one set up for trimming arrows,,DUHH! just shim the trough and voilahhh...) form and trim for ff on the lathe using the endmill.

nice

al
Of course if you have a chambered barrel stub you can just fixture it and cut away.

Dremal tool with fiber based cutoff disc is pretty fast. Just cut them fractionally long so they even up when run thru trimmer.

Last edited:
"Of course if you have a chambered barrel stub you can just fixture it and cut away. "

A great idea!:D

And probably keep your finger longer -Ha!

Glenn

Of course if you have a chambered barrel stub you can just fixture it and cut away.

Of course I DO have chambered barrel stubs, and fireform stubs and a lathe to make whatever..... what 'zackly do you have in mind? I've only used this sort of setup for inside neck boring and MY setup's a pita! Slower than the seven yr itch.

you got sumpin' bring it on :)

al

To save time you could use Wilson case trimmer cartridge holders. If you are also using a Wilson
Case trimmer, chop it off then put it in the trimmer and finish it without removing it from the holder.

Of course I DO have chambered barrel stubs, and fireform stubs and a lathe to make whatever..... what 'zackly do you have in mind? I've only used this sort of setup for inside neck boring and MY setup's a pita! Slower than the seven yr itch.

you got sumpin' bring it on :)

al
Take one of your barrel stubs, chambered for the parent cartridge, cut the stub, at the location you want to trim the brass to, all the way through the chamber, but not through the "bottom" wall. Fixture this stub in the cutoff trough. That way your uncut brass will "headspace" just like the parent brass did, but will be level and in place to be trimmed - and only take a second or two per case. Insert case, trim, knockout pieces, repeat.

Shortening Cases

Although a chop saw would be much faster, I didn't have one, so not knowing a tubing cutter wouldn't work I used one to cut off several hundred cases with no problem. Just clean straight cuts with a slight crimp on the inside. Sure am glad that I didn't know it wouldn't work back then! Vic

Although a chop saw would be much faster, I didn't have one, so not knowing a tubing cutter wouldn't work I used one to cut off several hundred cases with no problem. Just clean straight cuts with a slight crimp on the inside. Sure am glad that I didn't know it wouldn't work back then! Vic

lol.. this forum needs a "LIKE" button :p

Glad you could make it work Vic. I've never been able to get that to work. And I've tried. Dang thing always wants to walk downhill and I end up with threads instead of rings. Heck I've cut threads on straight tubing before. Wish I knew what trick you used.

Back