Best way to balance daisy wheels?

You want to balance them because...

A. With any given breeze they will start spinning more quickly if they are balanced. The wind doesn't have to lift the heavy petal off the bottom.

B. Inbalance causes the wheel to vibrate when spinning. The vibration makes the bearing wear much more quickly than it would on a well balanced daisy. If you have normal daisy wheels, they have a plastic bearing/bushing and they wear very quickly. I install drilled and reamed and polished brass bearings in mine and the idea of vibration drives me crazy. I also grease them.

Dick

How will the daisy act if you just remover everyother blade? Oh, I also want to ask....where can I get some of the propellers like what are on the Aussie flags.

thanks

Hovis

Hovis,
If you can find a pic of the Aussie flags you can figure out how to draw your own and then fold them. Pretty much any light weight plastic sheet will work. Don't forget the little pin wheels, like the kids play with. The ones that are attached to a stick and made of sparkley mylar or something like that. With a bit of practice you can make your own, but I like the pinwheels better. $1 each, usually.

Donald

Waaaaaaa back

How will the daisy act if you just remover everyother blade? Oh, I also want to ask....where can I get some of the propellers like what are on the Aussie flags.

thanks

Hovis

I cut every other petal off a couple of dasies just to see - - - - they rotate half as fast as I recall . If a person did that, cutting the heavy petal off, the balance should be achieved, eh? I still have the 4 petal dasies I think. I'll try em again.

Back