Best precision rifle for a new-bee?

P

PilotPhill

Hello All,
I grew up shooting pellet guns and loved having competitions with my friends. Upon recently going shooting with some family and friends, I decided it was time to invest in my own rifle. I am relatively new to this so please forgive me if I sound like a beginner, though I have been doing a bit of research.

Essentially, I am on a quest for a rifle of the absolute highest quality and precision I can afford. Unfortunately, as a college student, that is not a ton. I am looking in the $1000 ball park and the primary type of shooting I will be doing is target shooting (though it would be nice if my future rifle is capable of hunting deer or other animals as well). I will most likely be shooting at targets ranging from 200-600 meters on the average.

Based on what I know, it seems as though the 6mm BR, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308 Win would be the best calibers for me. Things I look for are of course accuracy, long barrel life (optimally at least 5k rounds when cared for properly), and the ability to reload economically (remember, I am a college student). Reloading my own cases won't be a problem though I'd like to be able to do it for optimally less than $.50 a round (bullets, powder, primers) .

I've heard good things about the Savage Model 12 rifles in those calibers but would definitely appreciate some words of wisdom from you experienced marksmen about both the caliber I should shoot as well as the rifle I should use as again, I am a new-bee
Thank you, Phillip

I am on a quest for a rifle of the absolute highest quality and precision I can afford....I am looking in the $1000 ball park and the primary type of shooting I will be doing is target shooting (though it would be nice if my future rifle is capable of hunting deer or other animals as well). I will most likely be shooting at targets ranging from 200-600 meters on the average.

Based on what I know, it seems as though the 6mm BR, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308 Win would be the best calibers for me....

I've heard good things about the Savage Model 12 rifles in those calibers but would definitely appreciate some words of wisdom from you experienced marksmen about both the caliber I should shoot as well as the rifle I should use as again, I am a new-bee
Thank you, Phillip

I assume the $1000 ball park excludes the scope?

My suggestion is don't worry about "the absolute highest quality and precision [you] can afford"; rather buy something "used" that strikes your fancy with the thought of exchanging it later for something else that strikes your fancy at the time. You won't lose much money doing that and you'll not have to worry about finding the "absolute best," plus, you'll get to enjoy the hunt for another rifle down the road. Remember, unless you spend big bucks, there will probably always be someone who has a more accurate rifle than you.

I've seen several Savage Model 12 rifles that were pretty good target-type rifles; not necessarily in the chamberings you mention, but that's probably irrelevant. As for which cartridge and which gun, see my suggestion above.

I think I'd like to stick with a 6mm BR or 6.5 CM rifle. I've read they are both extremely accurate rounds based on BC and have good selection in VLD bullets. What are the pros and cons of each of those rounds? Right now I feel like the Savage Long Range Precision might be the best fit for me but then I wonder if it might be better to go with a Model 12 F Class in 6mm BR? I will be doing my own reloading, is either of those calibers better to reload with in regards to cost?
Thanks, Phillip

Getting started

Hi Phillip,

Getting your first "accurate" rifle is really a question of compromises. Many of the folks on this forum shoot competitively -- what I call Benchrest with a capital "B". The closer you get to their level of accuracy and precision, the more you have to drop other expectations, like using the gun for hunting trips. Short(<400) vs Mid(200-600) vs Long(600+) range affect caliber choice and also stock design, rest setup, optics, barrels, bullets, really everything. There is no single "highest quality and precision" regardless of your budget until you accept the compromises of whatever shooting game you want to play. An old used $1000 6PPC will still likely be much more 'accurate' than any new factory rifle, and a joy and education when shooting targets, but it isn't really suitable for hunting at all nor a lot of other plinking games. A 6BR would make an accurate varmint/deer rifle and a little easier on the wallet than the larger calibers. If you hang with the tacti-cool crowd then the 6.5 Creedmoor, and 260 Rem are popular, accurate, and suitable for some of the long range games played with rifles. From your description of your needs, caliber is probably less important than you know. Most choices today are a lot more accurate than the guys pulling the triggers True accuracy comes from the shooter, not the caliber or bullet or BC.

Rifles based on the Remington 700 action are probably the most popular factory gun among "B"enchrest guys, but the better Savage offerings have been gaining a well deserved reputation. For a first gun, I'd find a used Rem 700 in 243 Win or 7mm-08 and spend the rest of your budget some decent reloading equipment that will last you a lifetime. Wear out a barrel, then decide from your own experience what direction you want your shooting to go.

Just remember this, it is your 'first' accurate rifle, not your 'only' or 'last' accurate rifle. The more you try to get one gun that does everything, the more you will find that it doesn't do any one thing really, really well. So pick one usage scenario and get a rifle you can afford for that purpose. Accept the consequences if used for other purposes. As the other purposes become more important, you can add rifles to your stable that are specific to those disciplines. Forty years ago I started with a Rem 700 6mm deer rifle that I still have. I now own rifles for short range competition, prairie dogs, deer, elk, long range plinking, tactical fun, and a few others just for giggles.

Rod

If it were me......

I would look very hard for a Savage in 6mmBR. I own three rifles in this caliber (one is a Savage in a benchrest stock with a custom barrel that I also have a 223 and 6mm Dasher for) and obtained my mid-range (600 yard) NRA High Master Classification shooting this cartridge. The cartridge is very very easy to get to shoot well as you car read about here http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/ Also the cost of powder is about 60% of larger calibers. And do not be put off by references to high priced dies or components, the 6mmBR shoots Sierra bullets great and does not need inline dies or other expensive things to shoot very well.

Here is their website: http://www.savagearms.com/ to take a look at their guns. I would get the Benchrest model. Reason is: caliber for accuracy; long barrel for velocity; long barrel life; and the great stock for stability. The benchrest stock is not a handicap if you shoot F-Class competition as the 6mmBR cartridge would put you in F-Open and you can use a rest normally used on a bench along with your bench rear bag - hence no additional equipment.

Don't be put off by the MSRP price Savage lists as they can be had for much less through a local friendly FFL or GunBroker ( http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=Savage+Benchrest )

Also if at some point if you wish to "upgrade" you can get a pre-chambered barrel that is easy to install (unscrew the lock nut, screw the old barrel off, screw the new barrel on and headspace, then tighten the locknut.)

Noticed your Forum name. Are you a pilot? I used to be a Chief Instructor for the largest flight school in Arkansas (still live in Arkansas). Haven't flown in years as I have been retired for almost 13 years now, but shoot A LOT.

Feel free to ask me anything and I will either give you and answer or tell you I have no idea.

Last edited:
As you may have noticed, benchrest, or BENCHREST shooting rifles and conventional hunting rifles do not mix well.
If you have 1000 budget, then 500 for the rifle and 500 for the scope....limits what you can do and buy.
You still have no rest and no components.
If you truely want accuracy, save your money and buy when you can afford more.
I think you can buy a nice new savage and a decent scope for 1000...in 7-08,308 win.
You can replace the stock, the bbl and the trigger as you collect more money.
A 6br might just impress you in stock form.

Hello All,
I grew up shooting pellet guns and loved having competitions with my friends. Upon recently going shooting with some family and friends, I decided it was time to invest in my own rifle. I am relatively new to this so please forgive me if I sound like a beginner, though I have been doing a bit of research.

Essentially, I am on a quest for a rifle of the absolute highest quality and precision I can afford. Unfortunately, as a college student, that is not a ton. I am looking in the $1000 ball park and the primary type of shooting I will be doing is target shooting (though it would be nice if my future rifle is capable of hunting deer or other animals as well). I will most likely be shooting at targets ranging from 200-600 meters on the average.

Based on what I know, it seems as though the 6mm BR, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 308 Win would be the best calibers for me. Things I look for are of course accuracy, long barrel life (optimally at least 5k rounds when cared for properly), and the ability to reload economically (remember, I am a college student). Reloading my own cases won't be a problem though I'd like to be able to do it for optimally less than $.50 a round (bullets, powder, primers) .

Thank you, Phillip

Check Shooters Corner for a used rifle. Save your $$$$$ little longer and buy quality. Cheaper in the long run.

Hello,
The correct answer totally depends on the type of events you want to shoot. My club has a center fire match 100-300 yards. I have a savage 12 lrp in 260rem that I will compete with. Will I win? Doubtful but I'm competing again my scores from week to week. Can I hunt with my savage? Absolutely, and have no doubt I will hit where I'm aiming. In the end you really just have to decide what is your top priorities and what you can compromise on. Good luck in your search.

Pick a discipline first...

Hello All,
...I am on a quest for a rifle of the absolute highest quality and precision in the $1000 ball park. The primary type of shooting I will be doing is target shooting (though it would be nice if my future rifle is capable of hunting deer or other animals as well). I will most likely be shooting at targets ranging from 200-600 meters on the average.

When you say target shooting, do you mean casual paper punching or formal competition? A competition gun will usually be too heavy and bulky for field use. Most have very heavy barrels and bulky stocks. And crazy light triggers that should NEVER be on a game gun. For casual paper punching, look for a Remmy or Savage or Winchester Varmint rifle variant. Most will be in 22-250, and that's a little tricky beyond 450 yards. If you can find one in 260 that would be perfect. Other sub-30 cals will be good as well; the 30 cal is great, but these days we have much better smaller bullets that don't recoil as bad. Less recoil helps shooters keep the gun on track. Plus smaller bullets are CHEAPER, and use less powder (usually, but not always...). A 223 cal would work IF the barrel has a fast twist; say 1 in 8. Then you can use the longer, more efficient 69 to 77 grain bullets. Most 22-250's use a 1 in 14 twist, which limits you to 55 grain bullets or so.

But if you really want a Benchrest rifle, look for a used one. I just picked up a 6.5x284 with an UGLY stock for under a grand. You can pop a used Sightron 36X on it for another $400 and you're competitive at 600 yards. Seen a used one in same cal with that scope just shoot a 1.9" group at 600 last month. But it ain't no field gun!

Back