Best place for lead wire for bullet making

M

MSLiechty

I'm looking for some lead wires for bullet making.
Who are the preferred vendors?

Michael

Lester Bruno

Generally Lester has spools on hand.......

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=21

But buy'n lead this way is expensive...! But if ya just need a 50lb roll of .187, Lester is a good option...

Good GOD...!!!!!!!!!!!! 166.00 A roll.....! Unbelieavable! 2 years ago, lead wire was 50.00 to 60.00 a roll.... It's not Bruno, It's the stupid metal's markets traders. Copper is one thing but Lead...!?!

Looking at .35 - .40 per custom handmade bullet REALLY soon.....!
cale

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact Charlie Hood if you want ready made cores. They are perfect. Check under the advertisers here at Benchrest Central and you can get his number.

best place for lead wire for bullet making.

Here's an alternative if you can't find a supplier.
You can cast cores then swage them to proper weight.
corbin makes a gang mould for just this purpose. Or if your handy you can
get a small caliber lee mould and drill it out to 188 to 196 for 6mm.
22 takes 188 wire 196 work better for 6mm. . try to use pure lead , forget wheel weight, {they have to much other material mixed in.
You should have just about zero waste this way. yes it's time consuming but it does work very well. The shipping cost are the killer. so try to buy it locally. I live in new york state and am lucky enough to be with in 80 miles of a lead manufacturer. I pick up my own, usually i buy 300 lbs at a time. wait till the price goes back down if you can. It hovering at over $2 a pound.

i would give berger bullets a call talk to the gal who takes the bullet jacket orders.she will give you wire suppliers.kenny46

I called Seafab today and they put me in touch with their west coast distributer. Only a 45 minute drive but they want $4.50/ Lb. on 25 Lb spools. I also spoke to Army at Bruno's and she mentioned they too are looking for lead. I might be saving all the squeeze out from core squirting and melting it down to make cores. This stuff is beginning to feel like gold.

If I didn't have 10,000 cores Charlie hood would be getting my business. Now if I could just convince him to start making 20 caliber cores.

Michael

I'd sure love to see somebody making BR quality 20 cal bullets. I love shooting my 204.

Something askew......

Has anyone checked the scrap lead prices lately? First, look at the prices listed in these posts, and consider that I paid a little over .90/lb around '00, and just over $1 in '05 for .187 wire.

Then, consider that in the late 80's-early 90's, I bought wheel weights from a tire shop for whatever the local scrap dealer was paying, which was about .19-.20/lb. Finally, I called a few weeks ago to see what the rate was because I was going to scrap a bunch of squirts..........they told me 25 cents..........

Can anyone explain why the wire has trippled in price, while the scrap rate has only climbed by one fourth?

-Dave-:)

best place for lead wire for bullet making

That's a good question 25 cent a pound?
somebody's making money. I see lead go for twice that much on ebay.
The local producer claims they are paying well over 1.50 a pound .
I suspect the commodity's market for the over pricing.

Lead

It looks like i will be getting a shippment of pure lead wire 1 to 2 weeks and the good news is the price will go down a little from our advertised price.

Lester Bruno

Bruno Shooters Supply

Back