Best long range scope

K

Kurtflys

Hi
I am new to long range shooting.. I have a M1A with a ART II scope on the way. ( Merry Christmas from wifie ) But I may have a gun built and I will want to put a good scope on it . I was think Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss, but I just don't know.. Help!!!! Range will be 200 to 1200 .
Regards Kurt

I would not

i have to say nightforce is the way to go. not cheap, but quality never is.

hesitate to use Nightforce or Leupold. They both have a great repair and warranty behind their products and sooner or later you will need one or the other or both with either manufacturer. --Greg

Scope choice(s)

I have 9 Leupolds now, from the "bottom" 4-12x "Rifleman" to several VX111 in the 6.5-20x range & 1 BR 24x. I've never had to send one back for repair, and they all meet my needs. Not saying the others are no good, have a Zeiss, Weavers & Burris, even several old Unertls. Leupold remains my first choice when looking for a new or like new used. The "forever" lifetime warranty is icing on the cake, when buying or selling.

Has anyone used the Schmidt and Bender? I think there tech scope is in the 3000$ range. I wonder if you get what you pay for when it comes to the top scopes?
Regards Kurt

Have new Bushnell 4200 6/24 waiting to go on may 308 F/TR next time at the range

can't speak for the s&b but i have a 10-60 march,kinda pricey at $2400 but it's a heck of a scope if you want to spend that much,for the money i'd go with the nightforce 12-42 benchrest,you might take a look at the new sightron slll for the money,have heard nothing but good things about them

Hi
I am new to long range shooting.. I have a M1A with a ART II scope on the way. ( Merry Christmas from wifie ) But I may have a gun built and I will want to put a good scope on it . I was think Schmidt & Bender or Zeiss, but I just don't know.. Help!!!! Range will be 200 to 1200 .
Regards Kurt

"OK" would be high end Leupold and NightForce.

"Best" is undoubtedly the March.

al

Stephen Perry

Stephen
There are still plenty of guys using the fixed 36X scopes at 1,000 yards and I'm one of them.
I also have 3 of the 12-42 Nigtforce scopes and they are a dream.
For my birthday however I'm ordering up a 10-60 March.
Lynn

Art ii

Well the M1A arrived and it looks pretty good. Has not been fired so it is as new.. Strange thing is that it has a wood forend, not the plastic?? I know it was an early gun but I thought they all had the plastic guard.

The ART II scope is pretty nice also, but I don't know how to use it, and I can't find any documents or manuals on the Leatherwood site. It is also an early scope with standard cross hairs , plus it has another set above the main ones that are about 1/8" apart. I assume this is for rangeing?? Help!

Kurt

My Favorites are the old B&L 36x

That's what was recommended to me when I first started shooting short range BR. When I had a 600 yd gun built I wanted s NF but funds were short. So I figured I'd get one at tax time. I had a 8-32 Burris that I used while but I didn't like it so I looked for another B&L. One popped up on ebay after awhile and stole it for less than $500. At the last 600 match I noticed that the target puller wasn't pasting my old holes. I called the ranger officer to radio to the pits. (We had some new pullers.) Well the shooter on the next bench looks at me with a screwed up face and says "you can see your holes". Guess what kind of scope he had. I'll be sticking with my B&L and use my money powder, bullets and barrels. To be fair though I can only see em in the white and when theres no mirage.
Larry

Well the M1A arrived and it looks pretty good. Has not been fired so it is as new.. Strange thing is that it has a wood forend, not the plastic?? I know it was an early gun but I thought they all had the plastic guard.

The ART II scope is pretty nice also, but I don't know how to use it, and I can't find any documents or manuals on the Leatherwood site. It is also an early scope with standard cross hairs , plus it has another set above the main ones that are about 1/8" apart. I assume this is for rangeing?? Help!

Kurt

Kurt,
Schmidt Bender makes a superb world beating product. That said their scopes are not "benchrest" scopes and the new 12-50x56 is largely untested in competition. The SB PMIIs were designed for Accuracy International's Artic Warfare Rifles. They are superb. That said we are talking apples and oranges from the area of interest for this forum...

I don't want to call your new gift into question, however, I've owned a few full custom M1As and I can tell you scope mounting them is a nightmare. I've even run Brookfield Precision Steel mounts that were fitted/machined on a dedicated US Navy fitting jig and had the rear tenon tig welded for further stability. This is the exact configuration they were used in combat as a sniper/spotter support weapon. POA POI still moved and I was exceptionally careful with the rifle. The last time I shot it it had moved 8 MOA up at 240 yards. The scope was a proven L&S Ultra/Mark 4 10x in Badger Ordnance Rings... It shot modest bugholes from the bench, however, bump it on the say to the safe and you might not be on paper...fwiw & imho.

Regards, Matt.

Back