Best Gunsmith Screwdrivers Set

B

bea175

Who in your opinion or experience makes the best Gunsmith Screwdriver set?
I have been looking at the Wheeler 89 piece from Midway and the Brownells Master set. The Brownells are expensive, but you usually get what you pay for. You guys that make a living at being a Gunsmith , what do you use and recommend?

Me Too

At this point I spend a lot of time grinding and shaping all the "garage sale drivers" the wife drags home.:(

Aloha, Les

I've got the Brownells set but haven't used it enough to declare it the best thing since sliced bread, but it does seem to be pretty good. I had some Grace screwdrivers but could never keep them from chipping and breaking. Haven't seen the Wheelers.

I've got the Brownells set but haven't used it enough to declare it the best thing since sliced bread, but it does seem to be pretty good. I had some Grace screwdrivers but could never keep them from chipping and breaking. Haven't seen the Wheelers.
I bought the Brownell's master set many years ago but found a lot of the narrow bits were way too thick. Looks like they could figure out that a screw head that was only .150 wide wouldn't have the slot of a #12 wood screw in it. Chipped many.

B-Square makes a great set for about $20 last I remember. Sinclair sells a S&W set for about $14 that's good and has almost everything you'll ever need.

I have a number of gunsmith sets.

The Chapman break.
The Forster bend.

I now like to buy quality screwdrivers for $0.25 at garage sales, clean off the rust and paint, and re grind them to gunsmith shape.

The Chapman break.
The big marketing advantage of the Chapman over other bits was they break before you can mar the screw slot. It took me a while for the penny to drop that just maybe they couldn't temper their bits right.

I still have my Chapman kit, nearly 40 ears later, but these days the case is filled with their hex heads - the handles are really handy with them.

I have the Brownells Magna Tip, B-Square, Vermont American, Mac (now Grace, I think), and Forster sets. The Brownells are best by a wide margin in the replaceable bit category (B-Square are soft), and the Mac in the fixed blade screwdrivers are the berries.

Clemson

I use a lot of Sears screwdrivers and just grind them to the most common sizes needed and have quite a few Brownells bits that I do the same with.

I have a holder so I can grind any driver to work its a very good invetment.

I have the "super set" from Brownells and then I broke down and bought the "full monty" of every single one Brownells offers.

I've had to grind a couple but by and large they have served me well for the last six years.

fwiw,
Have been running the Brownells Super Set for 10 years. They've replaced a good deal of that set and never required I mail the bad one back. Their thin bit set is soo thin that the final heat treatment warps them before shipment. MOST are wavy straight from the box...

The Hardstahl set that CSMC sells is excellent as well..imho

Regards, Matt Garrett

Buy all of them. You can't have to many screwdrivers, there is just no such a thing as "To many screw drivers"!

Where have all the flat screw drivers gone?

I notice that my screw driver drawer in my tool chest has a lot of phillips head screw drivers of all kinds and very few of the standard type. I don't know what has happened to all of the ordinary kind. They are so handy, you can open paint cans and prize with them and in a pinch, you can use them as a chisel and even chip concrete with them.

I worry.

Concho Bill

Where have all the flat screw drivers gone?

I notice that my screw driver drawer in my tool chest has a lot of phillips head screw drivers of all kinds and very few of the standard type. I don't know what has happened to all of the ordinary kind. They are so handy, you can open paint cans and prize with them and in a pinch, you can use them as a chisel and even chip concrete with them.

I worry.

Concho Bill

Married with children?

Back