Best cleaning rods?

M

marlinspike

Is there one company considered to make the best cleaning rods (and brushes and jags, etc)? If not, can it be narrowed down to top 3 at least?

many choices, lots good

Personally i us a Dewey rod. my jags, brass brushes and patches are proshot. my nylon brushes are montana extreme. first i clean out the coal with butches bore shine. then i clean out the copper with sharp shooters wipe out. occasionally i have to revert to jb and kroil for those copper mine barrels. when clean i lube the bore with montana extreme accuracy bore conditioner oil for storage. hope that helps, Fred

Well, I have Deweys currently, and while my rifle cleaning rod has held up well, my pistol cleaning rod wore through the coating pretty quickly (beat me as to how - the rod is MUCH smaller than the bore for pistols) which has made me suspect of their quality over all.

I don't know what I think about a stainless steel rod that isn't coated (see the Ivy rods), though I suppose 35C is far softer than the bore, but one of my guns can only be cleaned from the muzzle and and bare metal would scare me.

Neal Jones has the best bore rods, I've ever seen.Yes they are not coated rods, yes they are steel. I wipe my rods off before they go back in the bore each time. I feel a highly polished rod that has less chance of carrying grit back into the bore is the best way to go. I've heard that new coated rods seem to wear the coatings off faster?

I have two each of Denny's rods one is .187 and the other is .203 I will take 35.00 each plus shipping. Got two sets for my birthday.

Marlinspike

though I suppose 35C is far softer than the bore, but one of my guns can only be cleaned from the muzzle and and bare metal would scare me.

Actually my rods are harder than most barrels. They key to not damaging your barrel is the high polish, and keeping the rod straight down your bore. Think of running your soft finger across a smooth hard piece of glass. No rough or sharp edges to catch anything, so it slides along.

For the gun that you clean from the muzzle, you NEED a muzzle rod guide of some sorts. Just like you need a good bore guide when cleaning from the breech end.

I have pricing on our website if you want to look, but that is about it. We have been working on redoing it all, but we just have not gotten there yet... There is also two new rod sizes that we need to get on there also. One is .234" for the 6.5 shooters, and the other is .218" for 6mm. I just received the .218 in to try it out. I don't know if it will be enough of an advantage over the .203 to warrant carrying them, but we'll give it a try.

Let me know if there is any thing I can help you with!
Denny
Ivy Rods
www.ivyrods.com

Ain't no rods better than Denny's. Coated rods hold a great deal of abrasive crap and that is what you are worried about.
People are learning that a hardened polished rod with a good rod guide are the best.
Butch

Hey, Butch......

thanks for calling them ROD guides, it really helps, I was wondering how all those people had learned to guide the bores.....

I've been called a "bore" a few times and I can be guided by the wife quite ease. Fun and games aside, another up for Denny's rods.

Neil Jones makes the best , if I'm in a real hurry I'll go with Pro-Shot, their nice. I don't care for Dewey as their quality does'nt meet my standards.

I'll agree with those on the Denny Phillips rods. The best I have ever used. Super straight, and they are polished to look like chrome. :D

IMGP1043Medium.jpg

IMGP3277.JPG

Last edited:
One piece Dewey, Bore-Tech or Tipton. I use the Dewey & Bore-Tech's. I prefer the handles on the Bore-Tech's.

James
I've got Parker Hale ( yes, I'm an old dude), Tetra, Pro Shot and now Bore-Tech. I thought the Pro Show good but I'm very impressed with the Bore-Tech.

Make sure that you wipe off the Bore Tech before you put it away, and be careful with the coating. There have been some issues. Mine have been OK except for one small scrape on one rod. A couple of years ago Dewey improved their handle bearings, and their coating has always been "bullet proof".

Back