Best 50y 22 rimfire scope

garandman

Got a CZ452 in an XLR chassis.

Looking for a good scope.

Had a Weaver T36 which was giving me fits with its inaccuracy - 1" groups at 50 y, in a rifle I know can shoot better.

Sent it back to the factory and they said it was damaged beyond repair and refunded me. So I'm "gunshy" of getting another.

I've ALWAYS had good experiences with Leupold. Their only offerrings in 50 y are their VX-3i in EFR (Extended Focal Range) but the few reviews I can find of them give pretty bad reviews.

What do you use / would you recommend?

Thanx.

Had a Weaver T36 which was giving me fits with its inaccuracy - 1" groups at 50 y, in a rifle I know can shoot better.

Sent it back to the factory and they said it was damaged beyond repair and refunded me. So I'm "gunshy" of getting another.

I've ALWAYS had good experiences with Leupold. Their only offerrings in 50 y are their VX-3i in EFR (Extended Focal Range) but the few reviews I can find of them give pretty bad reviews.

Thanx.

Your Weaver experience is not common, a lot of them in match shooting. I would not hesitate to get another.
That said, any of the Leupold comp series will more than meet your needs, they all focus @ 50.

Last edited:
Garandman....
I have just purchased a new Mueller 40X56 scope with side parallax adjustments... Shot a couple of targets with it and it seem to perform fine.. It has 1/8 inch adjustments and focus's down to 20 yds.. I know it is not a Weaver or Nightforce, but the scope works... Go to Mueller's website, they have a great offer there..

Dave

Thanx.

They refunded your money and your gun shy to buy another ? To me, that would be at least one reason to buy another. Suppose they sent it back and told you it was well within spec? I think I have at least 7 Weaver T-36s, I have not had any major concerns about any of them. Kinda like the CZ rifle, its usually better than you would expect, for the price you paid.

OK....you guys make good points. I'll give Weaver another shot. To get even a 25x Leupold would be another $200 - 250.

Thanx!

The Leupold 45x45 will focus down to 50 yards.
I bought a Valdada because I was told a Leupold would not focus down to 50 “feet”.
Come to find out Leupold didn’t know what they didn’t know. My and more than one shooting companion have Leupolds that do indeed focus just fine at 50 “feet”.

Garandman....
I have just purchased a new Mueller 40X56 scope with side parallax adjustments... Shot a couple of targets with it and it seem to perform fine.. It has 1/8 inch adjustments and focus's down to 20 yds.. I know it is not a Weaver or Nightforce, but the scope works... Go to Mueller's website, they have a great offer there..

Dave

Dave, you really piqued my interest. I've spent a lot to time on the Mueller Web site today, and that does seem like a great deal. I like everything about that scope, especially the fixed magnification, but I have a few questions. Being a paper puncher, I shoot mainly .22LR and always at 50 yards. I never hunt, so I really have little use for a variable-magnification scope. But with a 40x scope, it does mean that you are at all times dealing with an exit pupil of about 1.3mm -- pretty small. Are you finding that you're having any trouble getting a good sight picture easily? Are you having to move your eye to and fro constantly to find the proper eye relief? If you're shooting at 50 yards like I am, do you find the field of view too small at that distance?

Ron

Dave, you really piqued my interest. I've spent a lot to time on the Mueller Web site today, and that does seem like a great deal. I like everything about that scope, especially the fixed magnification, but I have a few questions. Being a paper puncher, I shoot mainly .22LR and always at 50 yards. I never hunt, so I really have little use for a variable-magnification scope. But with a 40x scope, it does mean that you are at all times dealing with an exit pupil of about 1.3mm -- pretty small. Are you finding that you're having any trouble getting a good sight picture easily? Are you having to move your eye to and fro constantly to find the proper eye relief? If you're shooting at 50 yards like I am, do you find the field of view too small at that distance?

Ron

I have only used the scope at one match and a couple of practice sessions, but I have had no problems getting a good sight picture.. The scope seems to have a good eye relief and I have had no problems with having to move my eye back and forth.. Secret is getting the scope mounted properly... I shoot ARA and the field of view is plenty big enough for shooting ARA, IR-50/50 or PSL. I have found that, for a 40X scope with a 56mm Objective, that the scope allow plenty of light for target shooting.. My opinion is that the Mueller is very close to the Weaver in brightness.. Another thing I liked was this.. I checked the adjustments on the scope, by firing one shot on paper, then moving the adjustments 32 clicks left, up, right and down and I ended up with four groups exactly 2 inches apart. The adjustments were crisp and accurate... I am very pleased with this Mueller and may buy another for my other bench rifle..

Dave

I have only used the scope at one match and a couple of practice sessions, but I have had no problems getting a good sight picture.. The scope seems to have a good eye relief and I have had no problems with having to move my eye back and forth.. Secret is getting the scope mounted properly... I shoot ARA and the field of view is plenty big enough for shooting ARA, IR-50/50 or PSL. I have found that, for a 40X scope with a 56mm Objective, that the scope allow plenty of light for target shooting.. My opinion is that the Mueller is very close to the Weaver in brightness.. Another thing I liked was this.. I checked the adjustments on the scope, by firing one shot on paper, then moving the adjustments 32 clicks left, up, right and down and I ended up with four groups exactly 2 inches apart. The adjustments were crisp and accurate... I am very pleased with this Mueller and may buy another for my other bench rifle..

Dave

That's what I wanted to hear! I'm ordering today. When Mueller launched, they were using Japanese glass and assembling the scopes in China. I read an undocumented report in another forum that Mueller scopes are now totally of Chinese manufacture. I hope that's not true, but even if it is, your experienced is very reassuring. I've done the calculations, and i believe that I'll need Extra High Burris Signature rings on my CZ rimfire. What rings did you use?

That's what I wanted to hear! I'm ordering today. When Mueller launched, they were using Japanese glass and assembling the scopes in China. I read an undocumented report in another forum that Mueller scopes are now totally of Chinese manufacture. I hope that's not true, but even if it is, your experienced is very reassuring. I've done the calculations, and i believe that I'll need Extra High Burris Signature rings on my CZ rimfire. What rings did you use?

I am using High Weaver Quad-Locks..

Dave

I am using High Weaver Quad-Locks..

Dave

Hi Dave, I have been interested in this scope for .22 Bench rest and made numerous attempts to verify how well the 40 x focuses down to 20y without any joy.

My intention was to order 3 of them for our club rifles but without being absolutely sure that their ability to accurately focus sharply for use at 20y/22y which is the distance of our club range I haven't been brave enough just based on the manufactures claim.

Since you have one Dave, could I ask that you try it at 20y for me and report back to us here?

I have contacted Mueller re shipping international but they don't so they directed me to 2 retailers but they say they won't have stock for a number of months. I then made attempts to contact Mueller via a PM on the Rimfire Central Forum which has a 9 page thread there but no reply.

Thanks in advance and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

There would be a good market for them in the Air rifle community as well.

Hi Dave, I have been interested in this scope for .22 Bench rest and made numerous attempts to verify how well the 40 x focuses down to 20y without any joy.

My intention was to order 3 of them for our club rifles but without being absolutely sure that their ability to accurately focus sharply for use at 20y/22y which is the distance of our club range I haven't been brave enough just based on the manufactures claim.

Since you have one Dave, could I ask that you try it at 20y for me and report back to us here?

I have contacted Mueller re shipping international but they don't so they directed me to 2 retailers but they say they won't have stock for a number of months. I then made attempts to contact Mueller via a PM on the Rimfire Central Forum which has a 9 page thread there but no reply.

I will be going to the range next week for practice and I will check for a 20 yard focus and get back to you..

Dave

Mueller 40x

Specifications
Part # MU4056
Eye Relief 3.25″
Length 17.50″
Weight 23.0 oz.
Tube Size 30 mm
Color Matte Black
Lenses Fully Multi-Coated
Magnification 40 × power
Objective 56 mm
F.O.V. 1.5 feet @ 100 yards
Parallax 20 Yard Min
Click Value 1/8 M.O.A. (50″ @ 100yds over-all on both W/E)

According to the 40x specifications, that I down-loaded from the Mueller website, the scope will focus down to 20yds.
I have the Mueller 8-32×44 which focuses down to 10yds.
I got mine from Optics Planet at the same price listed on the Mueller website.
At short rang, i.e. 10yds, I found the parallax difficult to minimize.
I found this out while setting the scope up on the rifle down in my basement where the longest sighting I have is 12yds.
I asked my wife if I could cut a hole in a wall for a longer sighting but she wouldn’t let me.
I have not had a chance to shoot the scope yet due to the freezing weather here in New York.

Bob

Vortex golden eagle will focus down to 30 ft. without any problem, and you can use a military discount through the Vortex site and get them very reasonable ...... BTW March will go down to 30ft. also...... Jim

Vicfox....

Just returned from a practice day at the range and to answer your question..Yes, the Mueller 40X56 will focus down to 20 yards and just a little bit closer...

Dave

Back