Best 4198

jackie schmidt

I called Amy at Bruno's today to get about 16 pounds of 4198. She asked if I wanted IMR or Hogdon, I said Hogdon.

I really do not know if there is a difference between IMR or Hogdon in 4198. Did I get the right stuff for use in a 30BR??.......jackie

Who knows! When I started using H-4198 it was because the Hodgdon can was better than the IMR can, Now that they're in the same can. I guess it's worth a try!

Paul

IS there now a difference in H4198 and H4198 now that Hodgdon is marketing both?

I called Amy at Bruno's today to get about 16 pounds of 4198. She asked if I wanted IMR or Hogdon, I said Hogdon.

I really do not know if there is a difference between IMR or Hogdon in 4198. Did I get the right stuff for use in a 30BR??.......jackie

Jackie, the days of the mixed lots from Hogden are long gone, where they bought surplus powders in large lots and mixed the lots. Now they pretty much own or control the vast majority of the powder market.:)

there not the same

Yes, there is a difference
Dupont 4198 is a little faster in pressure rise and velocity
when loaded the same.
I have used both in the 6ppc, but not 30br yet.
A 6ppc will make 3300 with 25 grains of IMR but it will
take about 25.8 of H4198. That with a 68 gr bullet.
The H will meter better by a small amount and has less
airspace above the powder. That said, I have had smaller
extreme spreads with IMR

IS there now a difference in H4198 and H4198 now that Hodgdon is marketing both?

Hodgdon aquired IMR powders but has kept them as they were before the aquisition. ONly change is they put the IMR in the "hodgdon" round bottle.

Last edited:
The "best" 4198 was the H-4198 that was made in Scotland by Nobel .

old Sako brass -Rem 71/2 - 68 gr - 24.8 H-4198 gives 3165.

I only have 3 pounds left and then ?

All the different 4198 shoot well in this barrel.

Glenn:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Amy at Bruno's today to get about 16 pounds of 4198. She asked if I wanted IMR or Hogdon, I said Hogdon. . . Did I get the right stuff?
Since you just bought 16 pounds of it, I would say yes. The mind is a powerful device, able to leap most hurdles given time & thought . . . (If you want to believe in magic, the magic lot of H was 013827).

Mind

Since you just bought 16 pounds of it, I would say yes. The mind is a powerful device, able to leap most hurdles given time & thought . . . (If you want to believe in magic, the magic lot of H was 013827).

Just remember we are talking about Jackie's mind.

The IMR stuff is a LOT longer kernel and doesn't meter very good. Here is a pic not sure if you can tell the difference.

Joe

You sure did. 30BRs with light bullets (110-118) love Hodgdon H4198.

Now the important question - What are you up to messing with a 30BR?

Adrian

Back