Benchrest tripods

S

shot410ga

I bought a Bushnell bench tripod for my spoting scope. It's a piece of junk. Can anyone recommed a good bench tripod that won't wobble with every puff of wind?:confused:

I have the Sinclair bench stand and like it. However, Ray-Vin now has a benchrest stand that I may buy as I have a couple of other scope stands from him and can use parts from those on this new one. Ray-Vins stand appears to be much easier to attach and adjust.

http://www.ray-vin.com/index.htm

Bench Rest Scope Stand

I have the first generation Ray-Vin bench rest stand and it is by far the finest stand of its type anywhere.

I will opine - -

the Sinclair is pretty good but not good enough, especially for a scope with any weight to it. Weight and length are the enemies to a scope being stabel in the wind, which is the times one REALLLLY needs to be able to see!

I have a Sinclair I use most often but I do not think it is the do all- end all. The Ray-Vin looks good but I question that it would truly be stable in the wind. Any arm of much size will vibrate in very little wind and any spotting scope is useless, or nearly so, when it vibrates. It might prove to be a pricy experiment :).

I don't know what the answer is but have been thinking that large light weight rigid tubing with super strong joints might do it. Rigidity is the answer, obviously.

Last edited:
Go to a camera store or even the camera dept of a big box store. My camera tripods are far superior to anything I've ever seen made for the gun market, and cheaper. Small desktop tripods are made for cameras.

I sympathize with you. I just purchased an inexpensive Bushnell spotting scope. The scope itself isn't too bad, but the free tripod included with it is worthless.

I happend to have -- fortunately -- a small camera tripod designed for tabletops. I bought it years ago. I'm sure it was not cheap. It is very good quality. I have been using that camera tripod with the spotting scope and have had good luck. Much more stable.

I wish I could give you the details and the brand, but I have had this item for years and just don't know. You might take a look in a good camera shop, and be prepared to write a pretty good-sized check.

I think in this arena, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Let us know how this comes out . . . . .

Back